Sans toi
Derrière mes paupières
Trouver de l'air

(Ah)
Tout l'univers
Nos deux cœurs sous la terre
Au milieu des failles et des ressacs
Nous nous retrouvons au point d'impact
Comment soigner nos coeurs qui éclatent?
Tout l'univers​

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
By 2nd listen I already see this being a potential winner. Another strong entry from Gjon.

This is about as good as Repondez-moi I think. And it has some assets that the former lacked. But I like Repondez-moi better and I was initially slightly disappointed by this new entry.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I am still disappointed that the song is such a step back for me compared to last year when I gave 12 pts. This time I can hardly remember the song at all... none of the so-called contenders for the win excites me: Neither Switzerland nor Bulgaria nor Lithuania ...*sad*

There are no contenders. This year is like 2010, there are no clear winner entries and it confuses everyone.

People are betting on Switzerland because there literally are no winning options yet and Gjon's song sounds the most like the last winner. Not like it matters because odds are like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Soon enough people will start convincing themselves that Switzerland is unbeatable, which will paradoxically cause them to become unbeatable.

So basically... stop fucking saying this is the winner so something fun (and let's be honest: something with a heart and soul) can win instead tyvm :-)

I do believe Gjon has the jury vote on lock so far, just on the basis of being so g'ddamn technical, again, but I also think Barbara has a really good shot at beating him once the votes are combined. "Voila" really has TONNES of televote appeal, moreso than "Tout l'Univers" does.

Also, France is so much cheaper (and closer to where I live) than Switzerland, thank yew. Make that happen instead and we can all meet up in Bordeaux or Grenoble next year.

Loindici

Veteran
So basically... stop fucking saying this is the winner so something fun (and let's be honest: something with a heart and soul) can win instead tyvm :-)

It's not big enough, so here it is.

Will this apply to the Bulgarian thread as well?

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
There are no contenders. This year is like 2010, there are no clear winner entries and it confuses everyone.

People are betting on Switzerland because there literally are no winning options yet and Gjon's song sounds the most like the last winner. Not like it matters because odds are like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Soon enough people will start convincing themselves that Switzerland is unbeatable, which will paradoxically cause them to become unbeatable.

I do believe Gjon has the jury vote on lock so far, just on the basis of being so g'ddamn technical, again, but I also think Barbara has a really good shot at beating him once the votes are combined. "Voila" really has TONNES of televote appeal, moreso than "Tout l'Univers" does.

Also, France is so much cheaper (and closer to where I live) than Switzerland, thank yew. Make that happen instead and we can all meet up in Bordeaux or Grenoble next year.
I agree - btw. I said CONTENDER, not winner. Just saying. But I wish Barbara the best of luck cause I would wish it for her the most from ... well ... I will FUCKING say it: the contenders so far. xqueenbitch

midnightsun

Veteran
This is the winner! 🤣

I don’t like Bulgaria and Lithuania is rather a fader than a grower at the moment but these are the only three right now I am seeing as appealing to a large audience.
All other songs so far are more or less niche songs with a certain part of the audience who will vote for it but in the end they‘re making it to place 2-6. But we will see.
I‘m neither saying Switzerland is the only true winner, the definite one, my personal winner... I can just accept quality when I see some.
I appreciate France and like it very much but this „forced as hell French song“ is not more sophisticated than the Swiss.

Fluke

I didn't like his previous entry, so i had no expectations at all for this, and i'm actually really surprised. The beginning seems like it's going to be really boring and whiney, but then this high-energy rhythm comes in and everything just goes together really well. Don't think it will be in my absolute favorites, but it's gonna be really exciting to see how he'll do this live....

Biste

I had it at a 10 first, but upgrading to 12.

Though I think the song will benefit from it if he would dial back the falsetto on the first chorus a bit. I don't feel it's needed to go all out there already. Helps to add a bit of extra variety as well by doing that first chorus slightly different.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

I want the best song to win, not the most fun. I'm going to keep saying it until I believe otherwise.

This is the winner.

astatine86

Oh God, I'm so annoyed at Gjon and this song. It's so freaking beautiful, but I just cannot stand the high-pitched chorus. WHY did he have to do it? We all know he CAN, but just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I want the best song to win, not the most fun. I'm going to keep saying it until I believe otherwise.

This is the winner.
And once again, like clockwork, here's QwaarJet with the possibly most horrible take one could imagine.

The best songs ARE the most fun songs. The songs that you build fond memories from. The songs you keep going back to for more. The songs that means something personal to you, and give you comfort in your darkest times. The ones that pull you up when everything else drags you down.

We all have our different perceptions of what these are, of course. If that's what "Tout l'Univers" is for you, power to you.

This song? It's decent alright, but it's not the best. It's the most technically complex one. But music is more than a series of equations and notes on a partiture. Music, at its core, is emotion, life, truth and love, all twisted into one introcate knot. To reward technical compositions like that one idly is to kill sentiment and let cold, hard logic persevere.

I will always oppose this.

but if you insist on dismissing fun and entertainment, or songs that truly possess a soul, an identity, a sense of being beyond their symphonic limitations, and grade solely based on soulless technique and competency, I will not stop you.

The best songs ARE the most fun songs. The songs that you build fond memories from. The songs you keep going back to for more. The songs that means something personal to you, and give you comfort in your darkest times. The ones that pull you up when everything else drags you down.
Yes, this is also true for sad songs. Imagine the most haunting and bone-chilling, but also the most beautifully crafted piece of music with poetic lyrics which make you think. Like reflecting on the problems of life, and it's okay to cry. Not that Tout I'Univers is the best entry of this year, but music which can make you emotional can be as impactful and diverse as the happier spectrum of music, and it doesn't have to be limited to ballads. There is a huge variety of rap, pop, and even metal that can make you feel. Fun songs can also be thought-provoking of course, but I believe that dark songs can work in our recent dark times because it encourages us to discuss how to make our already complicated and nuanced world better.

Last edited:

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
IT'S OFFICIAL. GJON IS MY NUMBER ONE

giphy.gif

I'M FAINTING WITH THE PAAAAAAIN

This song it's like one of those old family photo albums. You love them but you don't look at them too often because it's just too painful. It's SO GOOD but I can't listen to it because it hurts too much.

I know I'm going full on diva mode right now, but that's what I feel. What a great song. Thank you Gjon.

Pål Nordahl

I understand now why I can't connect with Tout l'univers. Nothing could have replaced Répondez-moi for me, and this new song feels like an imposter. It's in a similar sound world and feels so familiar, and I should absolutely love it, and yet I don't. It's as if a stranger has invaded my partner's body and I can sense all the subtle details that are wrong. This is completely my problem, of course, and I'm genuinly happy that so many people love the song. It is beautiful. But it was never going to impact me the way Répondez-moi did, because subconsciously I was never going to let it.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
I understand now why I can't connect with Tout l'univers. Nothing could have replaced Répondez-moi for me, and this new song feels like an imposter. It's in a similar sound world and feels so familiar, and I should absolutely love it, and yet I don't. It's as if a stranger has invaded my partners body, and I can sense all the little details that are wrong. This is completely my problem, of course, and I'm genuinly happy that so many people love the song. It is beautiful. But it was never going to impact me as much as Répondez-moi did, because I was never going to let it.

Instead of being an imposter of Repondez-moi (which is just beautiful), another reason I don't want it to win is that it feels like an imposter of Arcade. I don't want songs with the same sound palette and atmosphere to win two years in a row.

Pål Nordahl

Instead of being an imposter of Repondez-moi (which is just beautiful), another reason I don't want it to win is that it feels like an imposter of Arcade. I don't want songs with the same sound palette and atmosphere to win two years in a row.
I don't think it's a literal imposter of Repondez-moi. Gjon has his own style, and I don't have a problem with that. I was just using that term as a metaphor for how it makes me feel. But I can understand the Arcade similarities for sure.

Iker

Veteran
Btw. what are the highest notes he hits in the chorus? These seem like the Himalayas. I don't mean the falsetto ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom