5 1.9%

2 0.8%

15 5.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Yazy

Not counting the visual blockbuster, this is just....there.
Nothing dislikable about it but it leaves me indifferent.

And despite that, its still gonna end up in the higher section of my final TOP 37 with the way this season has been going. xcoffee

Remembrance

Well... Loreen is going to do a Johnny Logan in May, isn't she? Might be quite right too, I think.
It's not the best song ever (it's much more a performance spectacle), but I do find myself humming the chorus now and again, so...

Good luck, Sweden.

Sammy

Veteran
All the more weird that you can regard a ballad that was even one of their very last hits to be typical. It's like saying Are You Lonesome Tonight is a typical Elvis Presley song.

No, typical ABBA is songs like Super Trouper, Ring-Ring, Waterloo and Gimme Gimme Gimme, and the most ABBA like song in the history of Eurovision is probably Charlotte Nilsson's winning entry. Most other things said about ABBA in a Eurovision context is rubbish.
I don‘t know what you mean by typical at this point. But obviously you have something other in mind than me. I understand typical as „immediatly recognizable as an ABBA-Sound“. And that‘s true for their ballads as for their mid-tempo and uptempo songs.

If you only take Waterloo as a reference, then most of ABBAs songs would be not typical which would be strange because „not typical“ always means „exception“.

Last edited:

NemesisNick

Well... Loreen is going to do a Johnny Logan in May, isn't she? Might be quite right too, I think.
It's not the best song ever (it's much more a performance spectacle), but I do find myself humming the chorus now and again, so...

Good luck, Sweden.

Well Loreen has won Melfest 2023, and is currently the favourite to win ESC 2023, but there's no guarantee she will win ESC 2023. Let's look at other past Eurovision Song Contest winners who have returned to represent their country again another year:

Sweden:
Carola won in 1991, but finished just 5th out of 24 finalists in 2006.
Charlotte Perrelli (formerly Nilsson) won in 1999, but finished just 18th out of 25 finalists in 2008.

Other countries:
Ireland: Niamh Kavanagh won in 1993, finished 23rd of 25 finalists in 2010.
Israel: Dana International won in 1998, failed to qualify in 2011.
Norway: Alexander Rybak won with a landslide victory in 2009. His 2018 entry is interesting; after winning the Second Semi-Final, he ended up 15th out of 26 in the Grand Final.
Germany: Lena won in 2010, finished 10th of 25 finalists in 2011.

I won't mention artists who won the Junior Eurovision Song Contest (either as individuals or part of a group) who went on to represent their country in the (traditional) Eurovision Song Contest when they were old enough as the JESC is a separate competition to the ESC.

Since Johnny Logan won for Ireland in 1980, and again in 1987, no artist who has won the ESC has managed to win again for their country. Furthermore, since Loreen last won in 2012 with "Euphoria", each country only gave one set of points. It's now more difficult for her to win again because each country gives two separate separate sets of points, plus this year there's an extra "pseudo country" - Rest of the World in televoting only. Loreen will have to win (or finish near top) in both halves of the voting in the ESC Grand Final to win outright.

Remembrance

Well Loreen has won Melfest 2023, and is currently the favourite to win ESC 2023, but there's no guarantee she will win ESC 2023.
True, but one do have to take the rest of the competition into consideration.
And overall, she might have the strongest package on paper thus far.

Unless something really comes out of left-field and surprises the heck out of everyone, I still maintain the thought that she (might) win.

ollibox

I'm wondering, how much it would affect the performance if the staging is different in Liverpool? :unsure: Of course, I have no doubt they will come up with something equally impactful as in MelFest.
As much as I've understood by now, the top half of the toaster would be impossible to put up in Liverpool?

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Never been a fan of returnees, especially when they did well in the past. But what can I say, she has the whole package, not considering her for the win would be foolish. I feel like I've been thrown back in 2010, it's the only 2023 song that seems "anthemic" and after a few listen it stays in my head. Nothing really original here, but as much as I hate to admit it it's a total grower. :10:

Now if she could only learn to articulate before May.

0scar

I was listening to this on my way to work and I realized that I actually like the studio version a lot more than the live version? I guess the spectacle of it all distracts me, and I can't help but feel like it's a little bit overdone, even if the staging is fascinating.
Leaves me puzzled by what I actually feel about Tattoo as an Eurovision entry right now lol

jatojo

I was listening to this on my way to work and I realized that I actually like the studio version a lot more than the live version? I guess the spectacle of it all distracts me, and I can't help but feel like it's a little bit overdone, even if the staging is fascinating.
Leaves me puzzled by what I actually feel about Tattoo as an Eurovision entry right now lol
What annoys me the most, is the strained notes in the chorus. She did a little better in the winner version which is probably natural because she could sing more relaxed there.

Sammy

Veteran
Well Loreen has won Melfest 2023, and is currently the favourite to win ESC 2023, but there's no guarantee she will win ESC 2023. Let's look at other past Eurovision Song Contest winners who have returned to represent their country again another year:

Sweden:
Charlotte Perrelli (formerly Nilsson) won in 1999, but finished just 18th out of 25 finalists in 2008.

Other countries:
Norway: Alexander Rybak won with a landslide victory in 2009. His 2018 entry is interesting; after winning the Second Semi-Final, he ended up 15th out of 26 in the Grand Final.

I won't mention artists who won the Junior Eurovision Song Contest (either as individuals or part of a group) who went on to represent their country in the (traditional) Eurovision Song Contest when they were old enough as the JESC is a separate competition to the ESC.

Since Johnny Logan won for Ireland in 1980, and again in 1987, no artist who has won the ESC has managed to win again for their country. Furthermore, since Loreen last won in 2012 with "Euphoria", each country only gave one set of points. It's now more difficult for her to win again because each country gives two separate separate sets of points, plus this year there's an extra "pseudo country" - Rest of the World in televoting only. Loreen will have to win (or finish near top) in both halves of the voting in the ESC Grand Final to win outright.
On the other hand, none of your cited examples did so well in the odds and the fan polls (ad far as we have them. There‘s still a lot that can happen until may and many leaders in the polls finally didn‘t win but as of today, it‘s looking VERY good for Loreen. Question will be: will they be able to take their staging of MF and if not will they find an effective alternative. I tend to believe they will.

gigi_copp3

Sweden:

Other countries:

None of them were the real favourites to win with a margin. Loreen is the clear favourite because she has the hype AND a good song/performance. The fact that countries give two separate sets of points doesn't mean anything - I mean, none of the last four winners won both (Duncan won neither); Loreen is the clear favourite because she is a sure jury winner (and the others thought of landslide the televote such as Finland, Austria, Ukraine or Croatia won't get high with juries, when Loreen will with both)

Sultana

I still believe that her song "statements" was far better than "tattoo". It was strong in both message and performance, it was truly full of her spirit. A spirit of an artist whose talent goes beyond the borders. Such a shame that she won with a song which was obviously a safe Mello winning choice. However, I can't say that this song doesn't deserve top 3 of ESC. It deserves and it will be in the race for the win for sure! I just think that Loreen's decision to participate in ESC again is a risky decision, she had a safe title of one of the most appreciated winning songs singer, but now she might be remembered as the one who tried to do it again, but failed, because with such a background as hers nothing is going to be good apart from the triumph in May.

GermanBango

I still believe that her song "statements" was far better than "tattoo". It was strong in both message and performance, it was truly full of her spirit. A spirit of an artist whose talent goes beyond the borders. Such a shame that she won with a song which was obviously a safe Mello winning choice. However, I can't say that this song doesn't deserve top 3 of ESC. It deserves and it will be in the race for the win for sure! I just think that Loreen's decision to participate in ESC again is a risky decision, she had a safe title of one of the most appreciated winning songs singer, but now she might be remembered as the one who tried to do it again, but failed, because with such a background as hers nothing is going to be good apart from the triumph in May.
Yea I absolutely second that. I like "Tattoo" and in this environment (talking about the field of 2023) it is definitively one my faves BUT as far as song-quality goes "Statements" was better. Not the performance though ... that one was messy af.

Top Bottom