Contact us

Stockholm Sightseeing Tips

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
WARNING: MAY CAUSE EXTREME WANDERLUST! ;)

This is for anyone who will be traveling to Stockholm for Eurovision, but would like some tips on what to do/see while there. I know most of Stockholm by heart, so I put together my own personal "Best of Stockholm" map for you here, with all my favorite sights and things to see. For additional tips, the tourist information centers will be able to provide you with plenty. Things that cost money will be marked with ***.

Each number on the map has a corresponding picture/explanation in the spoilers below.

op19wk.jpg

Zoomable map:
http://kartor.eniro.se/m/83wtH

Lookout Spots
The places offering the best views of Stockholm from above!

Gamla Stan
The iconic Old Town of Stockholm. You can spend all day meandering down the narrow, winding cobblestone streets. No matter where you go in Gamla Stan, it's bound to be great. Below are some of my favorite spots!

Skyline View Spots
Places that offer some nice skyline views.

Points of Interest
Things that can often be found on tourist itineraries.

Cultural, Historic Södermalm
Stockholm isn't only fancy, luxurious palaces.

kamc

Thank you for that extremely helpful list:)
When the sun is shining, Stockholm is absolutely picturesque and like something straight out of a postcard. I am really looking forward to my return there and your list has given me some new ideas for places to visit:)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Glad you found my suggestions useful! :D Obviously there are tons of museums (for example) that I could have listed, but I figured those are pretty easy to get information about through the tourist information centers, whereas they might not tell you where the best lookout spots are, or which spots offer the best scenic views, unless you ask them specifically. They're probably more prone to promote Moderna Museet (Museum of Modern Art) or Fotografiska (Museum of Photography).

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Awesome. I'm hope to get some Sightseeing in the second week. The first week I'm basically stuck either in the Press center or at Euro club.
[MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] do you know of any real good eating establishments that are not outrageously pricey? Love me some good Swedish food. And don't tell me what the last person told me and go to IKEA to have their Meatballs ;)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Awesome. I'm hope to get some Sightseeing in the second week. The first week I'm basically stuck either in the Press center or at Euro club.
[MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] do you know of any real good eating establishments that are not outrageously pricey? Love me some good Swedish food. And don't tell me what the last person told me and go to IKEA to have their Meatballs ;)
Well if it's not outrageously pricey you're after, IKEA probably is your best bet. Most restaurants are terribly expensive in Stockholm. Only fast food establishments will have food under 100 SEK.

But if you're looking for a truly genuine Swedish food experience, and could consider splurging a bit just for one day/night, I would highly recommend Kvarnen. They do offer lunch menus Mon-Fri, where you can either get the meal of the day for 95 SEK, or one of the "Kvarnen Classics" for roughly 139 SEK. Regular evening prices are around 200-260 SEK or more. The restaurant opened in 1908 and the original interior is still there. They serve genuine, traditional Swedish food and the atmosphere is just wonderful!

kvarnen-rum-83ed3.jpg

http://www.kvarnen.com/index.php/en/

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Well if it's not outrageously pricey you're after, IKEA probably is your best bet. Most restaurants are terribly expensive in Stockholm. Only fast food establishments will have food under 100 SEK.

But if you're looking for a truly genuine Swedish food experience, and could consider splurging a bit just for one day/night, I would highly recommend Kvarnen. They do offer lunch menus Mon-Fri, where you can either get the meal of the day for 95 SEK, or one of the "Kvarnen Classics" for roughly 139 SEK. Regular evening prices are around 200-260 SEK or more. The restaurant opened in 1908 and the original interior is still there. They serve genuine, traditional Swedish food and the atmosphere is just wonderful!

kvarnen-rum-83ed3.jpg

http://www.kvarnen.com/index.php/en/

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. And yes, I will go out at least a few times for a nice dinner. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I refuse to pay this much :)

The place that I'm staying at is on that Island, I think it's called Gamla Stan? Looks like I'm around a bunch of tourist attractions.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. And yes, I will go out at least a few times for a nice dinner. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I refuse to pay this much :)

The place that I'm staying at is on that Island, I think it's called Gamla Stan? Looks like I'm around a bunch of tourist attractions.
Gamla Stan is the Old Town, so if that is where you're staying you couldn't have asked for a better location. You'll be a stone's throw away from literally every popular tourist hot spot.

Kvarnen is on Södermalm:
https://www.google.se/maps/place/Re...1s0x465f77fa68275e6b:0x9bfb34080f66469a?hl=en

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
[MENTION=4364]Matt[/MENTION] And hey, on the plus side: you don't really need to tip in Sweden (it's already included in the food price) so you'll be saving money that way. :D On the other hand, drinks aren't included in the price.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Whoah, Anna, thank you so much for this! I shall definitely be making use of this ready for when I go! xlove

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
@Matt And hey, on the plus side: you don't really need to tip in Sweden (it's already included in the food price) so you'll be saving money that way. :D On the other hand, drinks aren't included in the price.

ARe you "allowed" to tip though? And by that I mean some countries take offense to it but I usually would leave at least a Euro or two (in Swedish Money that is) but don't want to be rude at the same time.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
ARe you "allowed" to tip though? And by that I mean some countries take offense to it but I usually would leave at least a Euro or two (in Swedish Money that is) but don't want to be rude at the same time.
Yeah, you're allowed to tip, but since it's already included you would then be tipping twice. ;)

MyHeartIsYours

I'm not going to Eurovision but great thread Stargazer, I will remember to check it if I ever visit Stockholm in the future :p It looks beautiful :D The Royal Palace, Vasa Museum and Skansen would be first on my list ;)

kamc

Maybe those of us going should attempt another ESC United meet-up?!:D

Guitarhero

Yeah, you're allowed to tip, but since it's already included you would then be tipping twice. ;)

In a nice dinner restaurant like Qvarnen I believe you actually should tip or atleast round the price up. For example if it's 235 kr I would pay either 240 or 250 kr. Some cafés also have tipping boxes nowadays but it isn't common. On the other hand many cheaper restaurants you should not tip and the union might not like tipping because they want their members to have a salary they can live on unlike other countries where the tipping is the employees's main part of their income.

Edit: On second thought a too small tip may be insulting and a rule of thumb is to give 5-10%.

Last edited:

CPV4931

Thanks [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] for this great list :-)

Fits perfect because atm I am planning what exactly to see in Stockholm during Eurovision (will be my first time there) and this should be very helpful.

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
[MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION]

Thank you very much for the super helpful information, it really helps a lot! xthank

I have also been looking at visiting some places in the direct vicinity of Stockholm, and I am currently considering the following attractions. Which of them can you recommend, and are any not really worth it:

-Drottningholm
-Birka/Bjorko
-Sigtuna
-Vaxholm
-Fjaderholmarna

And then in the week directly following Eurovision, we'll also make the trip down to Visby in Gotland, which also seems like a must-see destination in Sweden.

Salmon

It’s more than a year since I visited Stockholm with a small group from school, and I really shouldn’t have read this thread now… oh, the memories of that city!

I definitely agree Skansen is awesome. Best hand-made dry bread I’ve ever tasted, and the zoo there has the cutest otters I’ve seen! I still vividly remember how our Swedish teacher just told us to shut up and not talk German at the entrance because she had registered us as coming from a school in Sweden, in order to save money on the entrance fee. :lol:

Isn’t Södermalm full of hipsters though? :rolleyes:

Minor brag: 4600 posts woo

Guitarhero

It’s more than a year since I visited Stockholm with a small group from school, and I really shouldn’t have read this thread now… oh, the memories of that city!

I definitely agree Skansen is awesome. Best hand-made dry bread I’ve ever tasted, and the zoo there has the cutest otters I’ve seen! I still vividly remember how our Swedish teacher just told us to shut up and not talk German at the entrance because she had registered us as coming from a school in Sweden, in order to save money on the entrance fee. :lol:

Isn’t Södermalm full of hipsters though? :rolleyes:

Minor brag: 4600 posts woo

Yes Södermalm is full of hipsters, feminists and 35 year olds who dress like they think they are 18. It used to be a working-class neighborhood but gentrification has completely changed it.

Top Bottom