8 3.6%

22 9.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

0scar

That's honestly crushing. I actually expected this to be like in Israels position?

Kicker

It's so weird. Albania came 10th with the televote with a folkloric and inaccesible song and Spain ends up dead last. I honestly feel like its so much more difficult to get votes for the Big5 except Italy.

Ezio

Veteran
The televoting Top 10 were a low hanging fruit this year. It was decided by voting power, and not by the power of the song

TB98

It's so weird. Albania came 10th with the televote with a folkloric and inaccesible song and Spain ends up dead last. I honestly feel like its so much more difficult to get votes for the Big5 except Italy.
I wouldn't call 'Duje' inaccesible at all. I actually think it fits the mold of the typical ethnic entries that do extremely well in the televote. It's honestly quite fun, especially the dance part. 'Eaea', on the other hand, was always going to have an uphill battle considering how experimental it is. I always had my hopes high europe would get it but as we all saw...The fact that not even Portuguese people managed to connect with it (just 3 points in the televote) really shows how inaccesible the song is. She was my winner, and I voted for her, so yeah this is a very disappointing result. Regardless of that, I hope Blanca continues with this genre. It's phenomenal and she's an absoute gift to music.

Last edited:

goncalovieira

Hum... when I was watching this today, it was pretty clear that she could flop hard in the televote, but NEVER this hard.
So undeserved.

Ezio

Veteran
I was afraid for Spain from the beginning. It’s inaccessible and artsy fartsy. Portugal died a brutal death with a similar masterpiece in 2019. It took me a long time to get into EaEa. It’s just a wall of sound at first, at second and at third, and the red staging is gloomy. EaEa was a perfect cultural misfit in this contest. Lo siento.

Anthony Tesla

I'm Mexican, I understood the lyrics, and while I like it, I never believed the bubble. Spanish fans thinking this could be a contender to win. A low top 10 AT BEST, and that didn't happen.

If anything, I'm surprised it got as much points as it did by the juries.

Spain needs to focus and keep their feet on the ground. After Chanel, a lot of the Spanish fandom gained this sense of arrogant entitlement; they had a solid result once IN YEARS, and they acted like they just became a powerhouse.

Think on the long game: 17 it's not good, but you avoided the bottom, and compared to the 2010's decade, it's still way better. You have a pretty good NF, keep improving on it, working on it. It's a disappointment, but not a failure.

Feel proud, but not entitled.

Sammy

Veteran
I still think this was one of the musically most interesting songs this year. Of course you have to be familiar with authentic flamenco to be able to appreciate its quality. Spain can be proud of its entry. She was fantastic.

crashworld

Veteran
This entry was just too experimental for the general public to digest. Really harks back to Portugal 2019 and we know how that went. Not my kind of music, but I appreciate Blanca's voice (truly one of the best in this year's competition) and at least the juries did reward her for that.

MAD20

Wow I didn't see it coming, it was such a disappointment but one can understand why it did happen. We decided to take a risk and the result was not as expected. Hats off to the Spanish delegation and Blanca Paloma for the hard work, anyway, I think we're on the right way!

StephenMuckle

I definitely think there was an anti vote against Spain this year. Public giving Spanish fans (and tabloids) a big up yours for their behaviour after last year's result.

gigi_copp3

I predicted this a lot of time ago: I was insulted and someone told me "you don't have to say this will flop only because you don't understand this music"... Don't worry, Spain will come for a win soon, but it just was NOT Blanca Paloma for me (and in fact it wasn't for anyone)

gigi_copp3

I'm Mexican, I understood the lyrics, and while I like it, I never believed the bubble. Spanish fans thinking this could be a contender to win. A low top 10 AT BEST, and that didn't happen.

If anything, I'm surprised it got as much points as it did by the juries.

Spain needs to focus and keep their feet on the ground. After Chanel, a lot of the Spanish fandom gained this sense of arrogant entitlement; they had a solid result once IN YEARS, and they acted like they just became a powerhouse.

Think on the long game: 17 it's not good, but you avoided the bottom, and compared to the 2010's decade, it's still way better. You have a pretty good NF, keep improving on it, working on it. It's a disappointment, but not a failure.

Feel proud, but not entitled.
I quote everything you said: I've had so many rows with Spaniards just because I didn't like the song and I wasn't fully convinced with this making a good result.

Mainshow

Veteran

I´m Central European and voted 20x times for :al: - whilst :es: was my last place last night - I value her "art" and I think the staging was mesmerising but I never want to hear that song again, to be honest.
:al: was more "Eurovision-esque" since it could have been a successful ethno-entry from the past.... The Spanish entry, however, was very artsy-fartsy, progressive, original but not catchy at all. The vibes both song evoke are completely different as well - even though both songs are quite dramatic, :al: comes across as livelier, imo.

Anyway, :es: got a decent result in the end, thanks to the juries, though.

cegs5

I definitely think there was an anti vote against Spain this year. Public giving Spanish fans (and tabloids) a big up yours for their behaviour after last year's result.
I don't think the public know or care about the behaviour you are talking about.... I am even not sure what you mean.
I think this song just came accross as random shouting from a girl trying to show off her vocal range. That's it. Her electro-flamenco tune was not accessible. Flamenco itself is not easy to digest, it's a niche public even in the art scene. Three points from Portugal and two from ROTW (I'm guessing the power of latinos) tell us that only those with close ties with it could award it some votes.

ekzuu

It was just not accessible AT ALL. I hope Spain learns their lesson and sends something poppy again next year, maybe try reggaeton? I'd love that xheart

Top Bottom