The storm’s relentless
But everybody knows
Everybody knows
We’re born to the fight

Hey child
Why ya hiding from the light?​

Last edited by a moderator:

nunaney

TAKE MY 12 SLOVENIA 🙌 I'm overwhelmed. Thank you Ana Soklič. I really needed this. I'm so thrilled right now.
I was waiting for your reaction :lol:

I personally don't care for this song but I'm so relieved that you like it. I pretty much only come to this forum to read your posts and I would have been really sad if one your big faves from last year ended up disappointing you.

Alevender

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha what a toxic garbage. Like this year was not creepy enough here comes the religious touch I hate with passion :lol: A piece of crap I do not want to hear again (n) Voda was far away from being brilliant (gave it 4/10) but this is whole new level of hilarious ☠️
:1: point.

MissWorld

The most beautiful pieces in history are inspired by religion and God.
Mozart, Bach, Handel, Mendelsohn, gospel... Including modern times artists.
And I bet it didnt seem to bother you when Molitva won. #begone peasant

Slovenian song is decent and vocals are strong.

Mrm

Veteran
Why nobody gives 10 in the poll? Maybe confuse wth the devil no6? :lol:

tuorem

xangryxcoffeeIOTAP You better watch your tongue, Mister.
Oh hello Carian :giggle: I am watching my tongue. Tough love, as we say.

@tuorem @RainyWoods

Was she singing this live in EMA? Is lanp 16 just trolling us? :eek:
Personally, I thought she was live simply because there was a bad mixing between her voice and the pre-recorded choir. However, it is possible that her voice was a pre-recorded live. We'll find out once the studio version is released. :) Often in EMA, interval acts lip-sync to pre-recorded live vocals.

BernadetteCydonia

:3: points in the poll for now.

I dislike this? Also, more than Norway? I mean, I don't rly have a festering dislike for it, but Tix at least fucking has a stage show. ANOTHER EZIO VICTORY!!
The way it seems to me you would've given everything for Ana back in 2020 and now you hate her song's guts.

Not the only one to do so either

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I was waiting for your reaction :lol:

I personally don't care for this song but I'm so relieved that you like it. I pretty much only come to this forum to read your posts and I would have been really sad if one your big faves from last year ended up disappointing you.

Bless your heart nunaney xheart I would have been devastated had I not been onboard for this. I mean it's honestly not the direction I would have hand picked myself for Ana's return as it's by default divisive, but I really do love the song.

The initial reaction to Amen actually seems more positive than last year, so I'm hoping that over time this one can grow on some people in the same way Voda managed to.

tuorem

just a friendly reminder that one of the most iconic performances in eurovision history was also a song about Jesus
e11b8f1e1ca7e0f87298627472a7019cee6c4319.gifv
I swear this is not an obsession but... part of the reason why Albania 2010 was so powerful and iconic live was the presence of actual backing vocalists. :(

• Like It
Reactions: Kaz

Kaz

I swear this is not an obsession but... part of the reason why Albania 2010 was so powerful and iconic live was the presence of actual backing vocalists. :(
Albania sent The Mamas before The Mamas were a thing, iconic. I hope Ana brings some live gospel singers too!

Sammy

Veteran
My first impression was: doesn't thrill me, doesn't hurt me. At least I'm not as bored as by "voda" (Sorry for the ones who liked it!)"
But then I looked a more closely to the lyrics and that changed my view of the song.

At first sight it comes across as so many self-empowering songs we are used to in ESC. Some made immediately the connection to "Rise like a phoenix". But you take the time to read it with more care there is a significant difference.

The classic self-empowerment songs (Rise like a phoenix, Beatuy never lies, and so on) focus on the strength of the person, talks about that you are ok the way you are, encourages you to stand up for yourself even if you might have been hurt.

Here we have a patronizing first line that speaks to us as "a child" (small, in need of help, to be taught something, to be formed)

And then it a line like:
"you are getting beaten and bruised but it's gonna make you who you are"

so the message is in the tradition of a very archaic religious belief that suffering is the way to get to salvation. By whom? The answer is just above in the lyrics: Heaven and its grace.

Nothing about you are ok the way you are, fight for your rights, accept yourself be strong as positive messages but the opposite: know that you have to suffer to rise again. And in this narrative suddenly this "rise again" can also be understood as the resurrection after death.
It's also not the question of becoming stronger to cope with your aggressors. The lyrics to the contrary promise us: "the fear will never go away, might as well accept it now". That's the vision of "perseverence" of the author: don't overcome your fears, integrate them as part of your being and persevere in the torturing of it

WOW! What a "positive" message: suffer to become what Heaven wants you to be by his grace, rest in fear and don't fight it, that's called to be glorious, these are - as the song says - "your blessings".

But there is a fight mentioned in the chorus! What kind of fight is it? The third verse gives the answer:
It portrays all of this as a catastrophe through the biblical image of a "restless" thunderstorm with rain (think of Noah's arch) that has to wash away "the rest" (who is that?) until everything is quiet (sounds to be a very deadly silence) so the survivors of this have peace. This is clearly the old image of the last, apocalyptical fight ("the day is on the end") where sinners (=everybody who is not a believer thus a fighter for this) need to be erased from the world to finally have peace. This battle is to be fought obviously by those who don't "hide from the light".

Honestly - this is no self empowerment and anyone comparing it to Rise like a phoenix, Proud, Beauty never lies or similar songs is doing them very very wrong. This is a conservative backlash that works with self loathing, cleverly masked hatred and the call to combat all those who are against this doctrine to have "peace".

Hallelujah, Amen! xpuke

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
My first impression was: doesn't thrill me, doesn't hurt me. At least I'm not as bored as by "voda" (Sorry for the ones who liked it!)"
But then I looked a more closely to the lyrics and that changed my view of the song.

At first sight it comes across as so many self-empowering songs we are used to in ESC. Some made immediately the connection to "Rise like a phoenix". But you take the time to read it with more care there is a significant difference.

The classic self-empowerment songs (Rise like a phoenix, Beatuy never lies, and so on) focus on the strength of the person, talks about that you are ok the way you are, encourages you to stand up for yourself even if you might have been hurt.

Here we have a patronizing first line that speaks to us as "a child" (small, in need of help, to be taught something, to be formed)

And then it a line like:
"you are getting beaten and bruised but it's gonna make you who you are"
so the message is in the tradition of a very archaic religious belief that suffering is the way to get to salvation. By whom? The answer is just above in the lyrics: Heaven and its grace.

Nothing about you are ok the way you are, fight for your rights, accept yourself be strong as positive messages but the opposite: know that you have to suffer to rise again. And in this narrative suddenly this "rise again" can also be understood as the resurrection after death.
It's also not the question of becoming stronger to cope with your aggressors. The lyrics to the contrary promise us: "the fear will never go away, might as well accept it now". That's the vision of "perseverence" of the author: don't overcome your fears, integrate them as part of your being and persevere in the torturing of it

WOW! What a "positive" message: suffer to become what Heaven wants you to be by his grace, rest in fear and don't fight it, that's called to be glorious, these are - as the song says - "your blessings".

But there is a fight mentioned in the chorus! What kind of fight is it? The third verse gives the answer:
It portrays all of this as a catastrophe through the biblical image of a "restless" thunderstorm with rain (think of Noah's arch) that has to wash away "the rest" (who is that?) until everything is quiet (sounds to be a very deadly silence) so the survivors of this have peace. This is clearly the old image of the sinners that need to be erased from the world to finally have peace. This battle is to be fought obviously by those who don't "hide from the light".

Honestly - this is no self empowerment and anyone comparing it to Rise like a phoenix, Proud, Beauty never lies or similar songs is doing them very very wrong. This is a conservative backlash that works with self loathing, cleverly masked hatred and the call to combat all those who are against this doctrine to have "peace".

Hallelujah, Amen! xpuke

I feel the need to play the devil's advocate here. Though don't get me wrong, I do think the intent probably really is along the lines you suggest which is not cool.

"You are getting beaten and bruised but it's gonna make you who you are" is not only a religious element, but it could also be cut out straight from every other sports film such as Rocky, who can beat many opponents just because he is the one who can support more hits. So could be the lines about fear. I personally feel like you can either dwell on your fears, or try fighting through them - and I'd rather say the song can be interpreted as inviting you to do the latter.

Besides, the idea of embracing the pain as the inevitable part of life that can actually make you stronger is not exclusively a religious idea, it is present in a few philosophical currents as well, among which I believe also belongs ancient greek's Stoicism.

"Hey child" doesn't really feel like belittling me, more like addressing the hurting part of my soul that could use some rest from burdens and fights of the adult world.

"I've been tellin' the rain to stop
Not until the thunder's hushed away at rest" could also be the imagery or tears and hurt. Basically, pain is part of life, so are tears, if you cry, feel ok to cry proper until the hurt is washed away.

Overall I think I can actively choose to interpret the song as a comforting invitation to stand up and keep fighting while not being ashamed of my hurt and tears - and put the religious intentions at the back of my mind. But given whose song it is, those religious intentions are in fact there, yeah.

Top Bottom