a3a1d97e.jpg

Performed by: TWiiNS
Lyrics by: Bryan Todd, Sandra Nordstrom, Brano Jancich
Composed by: Bryan Todd
Language: English

A-lister

Veteran
Re: SLOVENSKO - Slovakia 2011

Slovakia will most probably withdraw :( ... It's a real pity though because they've send good entries on each try.

This year they send one of the best songs and people complained about the live-voice, last year they send a good ballad with that year's BEST live vocals... it doesn't matter what they do... they simply have no support of diaspora, blocks and other type of political voting...

I feel really sorry for them as they really tried hard, came back with a great pre-selection system and their entries are good and always has been. The most underrated country in ESC history simply thanks to politics :(

If another country would have send their entries they would have been in the final both 2009-2010.

Sim

A-lister said:
Slovakia will most probably withdraw :( ... It's a real pity though because they've send good entries on each try.

This year they send one of the best songs and people complained about the live-voice, last year they send a good ballad with that year's BEST live vocals... it doesn't matter what they do... they simply have no support of diaspora, blocks and other type of political voting...

I feel really sorry for them as they really tried hard, came back with a great pre-selection system and their entries are good and always has been. The most underrated country in ESC history simply thanks to politics :(

If another country would have send their entries they would have been in the final both 2009-2010.
:eek:

if this goes further maybe EBU has to decide to one semi 1 and first 10 to qualify automatically

A-lister

Veteran

simmeke said:
:eek:

if this goes further maybe EBU has to decide to one semi 1 and first 10 to qualify automatically

How do you mean?

94ayd

I didn't get that, either but a good suggestion will be to have a semi with the least successful ones and the other with the most. ;) It does seems just a bit unfair, since one semi might deserve to have more than 10 qualify but after all, that also happened this year (semi 2).

MrJadeEwen

Underrated? we've had two horribly bland songs from Slovakia and deserved the place they got.

Something less bland please Slovakia :)

A-lister

Veteran

MrJadeEwen said:
Underrated? we've had two horribly bland songs from Slovakia and deserved the place they got.

Something less bland please Slovakia :)

I couldn't disagree any more... but if people like generic pop then maybe Slovakia's songs are "bland"...

secondly I was talking about Slovakia's whole Eurovision history... but you didn't even bother checking up their 90's entries yet you are fast in judgements...

Slovakia was underrated back during the 90's and was underrated now aswell... did you even notice how many ACTUALLY bland songs that got through to the final this year on the cost of others...?

I really feel sorry for Slovakia and I understand them very well if they decide to drop out. Nothing is good enough for Europe and even if it's good, Europe doesn't give a F since Slovakia is not named Turkey or Greece... sad but true.

94ayd

1998 & 2010 deserved top 5 at least, 1996 a top 10, while 1994 ought to be in top 15 at least. 2008 was a little bit difficult to accept at first but I believe it did deserve the final more than some countries, now. ;) To sum up, I agree that this is the most underrated country ever. ;)

A-lister

Veteran

94ayd said:
1998 & 2010 deserved top 5 at least, 1996 a top 10, while 1994 ought to be in top 15 at least. 2008 was a little bit difficult to accept at first but I believe it did deserve the final more than some countries, now. ;) To sum up, I agree that this is the most underrated country ever. ;)

You meant 2009 not 2008 right? ;)

Agree with what you said... 2009 was a little difficult but a grower and far more interesting than some that went through to the finals... and if the juries only cared for voices then this one should have gone to the final 100% since they were the best live vocals of 2009... but since it's Slovakia it's not interesting for the juries :roll:

Yes they're very underrated; small country, no strong voting block, no diaspora to help, not "politically enough important" and not "western or eastern enough" for ignorant voters/juries who still think of Europe as it was prior the fall of Iron curtain...

and unlike others, they still sing in their own language which is great.

MrJadeEwen

horehronie was a song filled with no passion and apart from the costumes there was nothing exciting about it at all. if people really thought it should finish top 5 they would vote for it surely?

A-lister

Veteran

MrJadeEwen said:
horehronie was a song filled with no passion and apart from the costumes there was nothing exciting about it at all. if people really thought it should finish top 5 they would vote for it surely?

Horehronie was a song FILLED with passion... the singer wasn't very good live, but worse singers and definitely worse songs passed..

the song is unique and beautiful, unlike some of the generic stuff that passed to the final and it does have some national flavor unlike most of the others...

Well it's a pity because I really want Slovakia in but there really is no point for them :(

DominikS

I think Poland is suffering from the same problem, but thankfully, we have some diaspora so at least we finish close to the 10th spot in the semis. We've only done well twice in 15 tries.

manialf

Slovakia's return is uncertain. I hope they'll come back. Central europe would be a huge cap otherwise

A-lister

Veteran

manialf said:
Slovakia's return is uncertain. I hope they'll come back. Central europe would be a huge cap otherwise

I understand them if they don't comeback. There's no use for a country that is getting overlooked no matter what they send to take part again.

I feel sorry for them but mostly for Eurovision. Slovakia has sent really great entries.

AlekS

Veteran

There's a huge fuss in Slovakia about the new law as for public TV, meaning that the government wants to change the financial system of STV. In addition the new law has been developed - to collide the radio broadcaster and TV broadcaster so there would be no STV but RTS (Radio and Television of Slovakia).
Really soon STV will find out if they can participate in Eurovision 2011. Everything depends of politicians.

Imho, it will be a miracle if they participate in 2011.

AlekS

Veteran

It seems that EBU can make an exception for Slovakia and allow them to send documents (IF they decide to participate) later. It's a normal thing and it's been allowed for many participants before.
The broadcaster's budget will be discussed on December 2, after that date we will find out 4sure.

A-lister

Veteran

Well if Europe actually voted for them in the first place and didn't only vote for countries, then maybe they wouldn't drop out.

Well, I will miss them anyhow. The most underrated ESC country in history. Atleast I hope they won't be gone for 10+ years if they decide to stay home next year.

AlekS

Veteran

^ Well, if you actually read all messages you'd got that they don't drop out because of results :) They don't drop out at all actually, so far.
They wait for the broadcaster's budget to be approved.
ps. People who care about results so much are definitely not better than perople who vote for countries :p :rolleyes:

as for entries. I didn't like any of their entry exscept Kristina but she managed to ruin such song, I had a feeling that she didn't discuss anything with the ESC crew =/ The light was awful, backing vocals didn't fit, same horrible costumes, weak lead vocals, it was the main disappointment of the evening for me.

A-lister

Veteran

^
Well it's no news that broadcasters blame economy if they drop out. Usually I think it's a combination. If they have problems with economy and they also see that there's no point entering ESC, then they don't put it in the budget. I think this is quite common. The official word would be just the economy, but I believe there are quite often other reasons aswell. All broadcasters budget the coming year and there are reasons why they focus on other shows rather than ESC for instance.

As for Kristina; yes she didn't manage it live very good, but still doesn't change the song which was great, much much worse entries made it to the final for sure. As for the 2009 entry, I know it was a pretty difficult one for alot of people, but if live performances are THAT more important than the songs itself, then it's a wonder how they didn't manage to the final since their live vocals were brilliant and maybe even the best that year, atleast the juries could have seen that but they are being too busy favoring certain countries.

Also, we have all the 90's Slovakian entries aswell, some really great but they still ended in the bottom. I think the problem is that they clearly have no "friends" in Eurovision. Juries doesn't bother, no real diaspora to help out, not in a sort of voting block that care that much about the contest etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom