11 7.4%

11 7.4%

10 6.7%

6 4.0%

13 8.7%

• Total voters

94ayd

Re: SLOVENSKO - Slovakia 2011

But they clearly are showing interest with the 85% people supporting participation. You can just try and compare the situation with the Czech one and you'll see how greatly different it is. I've loved all of their 5 entries til now. :mrgreen:

A-lister

Veteran

But they clearly are showing interest with the 85% people supporting participation. You can just try and compare the situation with the Czech one and you'll see how greatly different it is. I've loved all of their 5 entries til now. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I find their interest for ESC after all these undeserved failures a bit mysterious in a way.

I applaud STV actually, because if it wasn't for their brilliant national selection, I don't think Slovaks would have as much interest.

AlekS

Veteran

@A-Lister. This would worked.... if this broadcaster didn't want to participate. Which is not the case here xshrug
as for 2009 - not even best vocals in the world could make that song less pale and boring :?

There are 3 real reasons why broadcasters withdraw:
- budget (the main reason)
- low ratings
- politics

here we have politics and budget ... depends of what government decides about the way of financing this broadcaster by applying the new law + depends how much money it will get in the end.

A-lister

Veteran

^

Well these are the official reasons. I never said I don't believe in them, I just think that if the country doesn't get anything out of being in ESC, obviously if they come to a situation of money where they would have to pick then maybe ESC won't be a priority.

As for the 2009 entry it's a matter of taste, like I said I understand the reasons why alot of people didn't like it, but I like it anyhow. Point being though: the juries have helped much worse entries because they believed the vocals were sooo good?, but in this case they didn't bother. 2010 was even a farse in juries helping pretty useless entries.

Anyhow. Slovakia will do what they want to, I hope they will re-consider though because they've generally been given us good entries, but I highly doubt they'll enter next year.

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran

As for Czech Republic.
The new boss (aka the new approach) came and decided to withdraw from Eurovision and... yes, the ratings were much lower than in Slovakia :) + it was right when the crisis began.

Slovakian broadcaster actually wants to participate in ESC in 2011 :p but it's not up to them to decide. I bet that with nationalization the other sponsorship was cut or maybe they became more strict in the general broadcaster's policy, we will find out in the early December.

strajker

Slovakía withdraws and comes back next year if i understood what did they
Say at newspapers

A-lister

Veteran

So it seems they're officially out :oops:

I'll miss them!

1996, 1998, 2009, 2010 were all great entries (4 out of 5 Slovak entries have entered my own top.10 for each of those Eurovision years).

Hope atleast we won't get a 11 year gap till the next time, but as long as politics (juries) and diaspora votes (televoting) rules this context, I think there will be little motivation for countries like Slovakia unfortunately.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: SLOVENSKO - Slovakia 2011 - not taking part

Major bummer, it's all about the budget which sucks cause they really wanna take part despite of the bad results. But there's hope that we'll see them again in 2012.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Since the return of Slovakia to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009, the country has never managed to qualify from the semifinals. This, together with the strong budget limitations that the broadcaster STV is undergoing, has led to the withdrawal of the central European country from the competition next year.
German blog Eurofire quotes Martin Kontúr, PR manager at STV: "I'm sorry to announce that after considering all the circumstances and limitations we will not take part in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. We hope that we can return to this competition in 2012".

Last year's entrant Kristina Pelaková told newspaper topky.sk that she is sad with this decision. "It was one of the greatest experiences in my life and undescribable", the singer revealed

SOURCE

Israeliboy

I'm sorry for Slovakia :( I hope to see you back in 2012!

A.B.

Sad news... The number of participating countries is decreasing every year...

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Austria is returning so it may just stay the same. And you never know, maybe some other unexpected countries will actually return or debut.

The recession plays a big role in this so once the financial situation stabilizes I expect several countries to return to the contest.

94ayd

Yay, I was hoping for them to enter at least this year, so they could have at least 3 tries at qualifying (like the Czech Republic had), though we can see Slovakia won't withdraw just because of bad places. ;)

Top Bottom