Contact us

Should the EBU ban Georgia?

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
This has been discussed before but I believe this deserves it's own thread. We all know by know that the Georigan jury was disqualified due to "cheating". Basically their Top 8 was identical so that means they determined their ranking together.

This would qualify for a three year ban by the EBU

Georgia’s jury disqualified – Incoming Ban???? | ESCunited.com

Do you think that's the right path or would it make more sense to work with them to prevent this from happening again? Especially in a year where we are already down a lot of countries!!!!

Happiness

Absolutely yes. Every country who votes politically should be banned without any expection. There would be a couple of countries come before Georgia, if we had a list.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Well the EBU made the rule so they should follow through on it and ban Georgia. The new ranking system was made with good intentions but It makes manipulation far too easy. They should revert back to the old ranking method.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
While I believe in second chances, by not banning Georgia we are sending the wrong message basically saying "Yeah, we know that you cheated but it's okay".

This is the first year of transparency and while several juries look suspicious (Montenegro, Belarus) it makes it a bit harder to prove anything.

Happiness

The whole sensitivity to votes came finally this year, due to transparency of votes. I don't think EBU ever would take their time to think about ranks in past years. Do they dare to reveal jury results since 2010? I don't think so. Not a big suprise that participation number every year gets lower lately. I don't believe TRT's real reason is that though, I would never think I find them right especially about that.

anto475

While I believe in second chances, by not banning Georgia we are sending the wrong message basically saying "Yeah, we know that you cheated but it's okay".

This is the first year of transparency and while several juries look suspicious (Montenegro, Belarus) it makes it a bit harder to prove anything.

I absolutely agree. As much as I would hate to see Georgia be banned for 3 years, justice is justice and must be served. If they don't ban Georgia then I feel then that the EBU would be giving off a vibe along the lines of "we just implemented these measures to target Azerbaijan because they're who everyone complained about".

ParadiseES

If they ban Georgia, they should also ban Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Iceland and Belgium, since their votes are also quite suspicious.

Anyway, I wouldn't ban anyone, but I wouldn't let certain broadcaster to pick their juries. EBU should directly select the juries for some countries.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
If they ban Georgia, they should also ban Armenia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Iceland and Belgium, since their votes are also quite suspicious.

Anyway, I wouldn't ban anyone, but I wouldn't let certain broadcaster to pick their juries. EBU should directly select the juries for some countries.

There is a difference though between suspicious and basically proven by having identical rankings.

The question is, how can the EBU pick jurors? People still would have to apply to be on the a jury I would assume and it would be difficult for them to determine who is "legit"....

ParadiseES

There is a difference though between suspicious and basically proven by having identical rankings.

The question is, how can the EBU pick jurors? People still would have to apply to be on the a jury I would assume and it would be difficult for them to determine who is "legit"....

I think everyone would be legit as long as corrupt broadcaster keep away from them.

Romeo

Rules is rules...

I was suspicious of the jury members watching and judging together.. They should be all be alone when judging

Sean

Admin
Staff member
They should only be banned if the others in the Caucasus get the ban too. I'm willing to bet it's a statistical impossibility for the jurors all to think the Armenian and Azeri songs were worst :roll:

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Or just get rid of the juries completely. They're not doing anything beneficial now

Tinchey

They should only be banned if the others in the Caucasus get the ban too. I'm willing to bet it's a statistical impossibility for the jurors all to think the Armenian and Azeri songs were worst :roll:

What she said... :)

Haverdge

If the EBU didn't ban Azerbaijan for blocking the phone numbers for Armenia, and turned a blind eye when they proceeded to arrest all of those who voted for that song that year, then it has no moral credibility or authority to punish Georgia for doing something hardly as sinister than what the others have done. It's not fair to punish the poorer country while turning a blind eye to the grotesque and blatant human rights and ethics violations of the other, richer country.

pinkchiffon

I have no idea what to do about this situation. If they don't punish Georgia, they're not following through with the rules they set, but if they do punish Georgia, there are so many others that deserve further investigation by those standards, and it would be a disaster to lose all of them.

Sammy

Veteran
This year, countries were specifically warned before the contest and it was said, cheating would be punished. If after such a clear statemaent and warning there are no consequences, the EBU would look quite ridiculous and countries who think of cheating or who cheated in the past will be encouraged.
So - yes, there has to be some consequence.
But I think three years is too much, that would probably chase away a country and it would not return.
One year seems more than appropriate to me.

If a country withdraws for ever just because it was caught at cheating, then it basically says: I only take part in a competition where I am allowed to play foul. And honestly, I don't think, that most of the countries would think that way. And if a contry does so, then I don't need it at the contest. I'd rather have one or two contries less and have a fair voting, than the other way round.

greece

Not they shouldn't ban Georgia. Basically they shouldn't ban any country as country. But if their jury votes looks suspicious they should ban only the jury and use only televoting xshrug Or if the country uses only jury change the members

Centrix

Indeed, the juries from all the countries should be banned. They can be more corrupted than the televoting can be. They should judge the songs, the act in a professional way and with the same criteria. How that in Irish, Spanish juries was a juror who put Romania first and other one put Romania last? I think it is obvious that Romania wasn't the worst finalist, but accepting that it was the worst how that there, in a professional jury, someone else find it the best? I think the juries should be eliminated or to have just 25% power.

Top Bottom