Contact us

Saving fan favourites for a more interesting Grand Final

Ezio

Veteran
I would like to propose a twist to the semifinals in order to have a more exciting Final.

This year again went on to show how borderline qualifiers thanks to juries brought nothing to the Final and produced televoting flops.

I would like to introduce that the Top 5 jury favourites go to the finals, because they are competitive and the next 5 best in televoting because fans love them. Now let's see how that would have played out in recent contests:

2010:

SEMI 1:
JURY :be: :pt: :gr: :al: :ba:
TELE :is: :ru: :rs: :fi: :by:

Out: :md: In: :fi:

SEMI 2:

JURY: :ge: :tr: :az: :il: :am:
TELE: :ro: :dk: :ua: :lt: :se:

Out: :ie: :cy: In: :lt: :se:

Ezio

Veteran
2011:

SEMI 1:
JURY :lt: :az: :is: :rs: :fi:
TELE :gr: :ru: :ge: :am: :hu:

Out: :ch: In: :am:

SEMI 2:
JURY :sl: :dk: :se: :at: :ro:
TELE :ba: :ua: :ie: :md: :by:

Out: :ee: In: :by:

Ezio

Veteran
2012:

SEMI 1:
JURY: :al: :md: :gr: :cy: :ro:
TELE: :ru: :ie: :is: :dk: :ch:

Out: :hu: In: :ch:

SEMI 2:

JURY: :se: :rs: :ua: :ee: :mt:
TELE :lt: :tr: :no: :ba: :mk:

No change

Ezio

Veteran
2013:

SEMI 1:
JURY :dk: :ru: :md: :ua: :at:
TELE :me: :lt: :ie: :be: :by:

Out: :nl: :ee: In: :me: :at:

SEMI 2:
JURY :mt: :az: :gr: :no: :ge:
TELE :ro: :ch: :bg: :hu: :is:

Out: :fi: :am: In: :ch: :bg:

Ezio

Veteran
2014:

SEMI 1
JURY :nl: :se: :hu: :am: :az:
TELE :ua: :ru: :pt: :sm: :is:

Out: :me: In: :pt:

SEMI 2

JURY :at: :fi: :mt: :no: :ro:
TELE :pl: :ch: :gr: :by: :sl:

No change

Ezio

Veteran
2015:

SEMI 1
JURY: :ru: :be: :gr: :ge: :nl:
TELE :ee: :ro: :am: :rs: :al:

Out: :hu: In: :nl:

SEMI 2
JURY: :se: :lv: :il: :no: :mt:
TELE :pl: :lt: :sl: :cy: :me:

Out: :az: In: :mt:

Ezio

Veteran
2016:

SEMI 1
JURY: :mt: :ru: :am: :cz: :nl:
TELE: :at: :hu: :az: :cy: :ba:

Out: :hr: In: :ba:

SEMI 2
JURY: :au: :be: :ua: :il: :lt:
TELE: :pl: :bg: :lv: :mk: :by:

Out: :rs: :ge: In :mk: :by:

Ezio

Veteran
2017:

SEMI1
JURY: :pt: :au: :se: :md: :am:
TELE: :be: :cy: :pl: :az: :gr:

No change

SEMI 2
JURY: :bg: :nl: :no: :at: :dk:
TELE: :hu: :ro: :il: :hr: :ee:

Out: :by: In :ee:

Ezio

Veteran
2018:

SEMI1
JURY: :il: :at: :al: :bg: :cz:
TELE: :cy: :ee: :ie: :fi: :lt:

No change

SEMI2
JURY: :se: :no: :au: :nl: :mt:
TELE: :dk: :md: :ua: :hu: :rs:

Out :sl: In :mt:

Ezio

Veteran
2019:

SEMI1
JURY :cz: :gr: :au: :cy: :rs:
TELE :is: :ee: :sm: :sl: :pl:

Out: :by: In :pl:

SEMI 2
JURY :mk: :se: :nl: :mt: :az:
TELE :no: :ch: :ru: :lt: :al:

Out :dk: In :lt:

Ezio

Veteran
2021:
SEMI 1
JURY :mt: :ru: :ua: :il: :cy:
TELE :lt: :az: :no: :hr: :se:

Out :be: In :hr:

2021:
SEMI 2
JURY :ch: :bg: :is: :pt: :gr:
TELE: :fi: :md: :dk: :rs: :sm:

Out :al: In :dk:

Ezio

Veteran

SEMI1
JURY :gr: :nl: :ua: :pt: :ch:
TELE :md: :am: :no: :lt: :al:

Out :is: In :al:

SEMI2
JURY :se: :au: :ee: :be: :cz:
TELE: :rs: :pl: :ro: :fi: :cy:

Out: :az: In :cy:

Ezio

Veteran
A jury top 4 and rest from televote mix would be even more exciting

2010 Out: :ba: In: :md:
2011 Out: :fi: :ro: In:: :no: :il:
2012 Out: :ro: :mt: In: :hu: :bg:
2013 Out :at: :ge: In :nl: :fi:
2014 Out: :az: In: :me:
2015 Out: :nl: :mt: In: :fi: :cz:
2016 Out :nl: In: :hr:
2017 Out :dk: In: :by:
2018 Out :mt: In: :sl:
2022 Out :ch: In: :is:

Last edited:

tomos2019

I'm sorry but IMO this would definitely be unfair and controversial and the semifinals are not an area that need more controversy. Why does every entry in the grand final have to be 'interesting'? It is a TV programme which is meant to appeal to everybody at the end of the day so some arbitary definiton of a 'fan' is not helpful in my view.

Navn Navnes

I would like to propose a twist to the semifinals in order to have a more exciting Final.

This year again went on to show how borderline qualifiers thanks to juries brought nothing to the Final and produced televoting flops.

I would like to introduce that the Top 5 jury favourites go to the finals, because they are competitive and the next 5 best in televoting because fans love them. Now let's see how that would have played out in recent contests:

2010:

SEMI 1:
JURY :be: :pt: :gr: :al: :ba:
TELE :is: :ru: :rs: :fi: :by:

Out: :md: In: :fi:

SEMI 2:

JURY: :ge: :tr: :az: :il: :am:
TELE: :ro: :dk: :ua: :lt: :se:

Out: :ie: :cy: In: :lt: :se:
Sucks that Moldova goes out. And that Sweden goes in. But would like Finland in.

Ezio

Veteran
Sucks that Moldova goes out. And that Sweden goes in. But would like Finland in.
Moldova had their big moment in 2017 anyways and Finland brought something ahead of it's time: something folkloristic and authentic. Sucks though that this scheme doesn't lift Blackbird up.

The second semi of 2010 would have seen stronger qualifiers with Sweden and Lithuania. Sweden was such an undeserved flop back and Cyprus and Ireland were really lacking. Loved Lithuania.

With jury top 4 and rest from televoters, we would see Moldova in and Bosnia out in 2010.

Navn Navnes

Moldova had their big moment in 2017 anyways and Finland brought something ahead of it's time: something folkloristic and authentic. Sucks though that this scheme doesn't lift Blackbird up.

The second semi of 2010 would have seen stronger qualifiers with Sweden and Lithuania. Sweden was such an undeserved flop back and Cyprus and Ireland were really lacking. Loved Lithuania.
Sweden have got top 10 with awful boring songs so often that i loved seeing them flop, even though they have sent songs that are even worse. This one is boring, but not as insulting as 2017 and 2018. Ireland deserved to qualify.

Ezio

Veteran
Sweden have got top 10 with awful boring songs so often that i loved seeing them flop, even though they have sent songs that are even worse. This one is boring, but not as insulting as 2017 and 2018. Ireland deserved to qualify.
Back then Sweden was on a flopping streak. They had some jury saves to go to the Final (Top 9 televotes + jury wild card). Hero and La Voix weren't great. The Ark was only there because of Carola's tacky top 10 hit in 2006. Las Vegas was absolutely awful and qualified thanks to Lena Ph. (love!) in the year prior.

Sweden would have been certain NQ in 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009 with the current system.

Probably Norway and Germany made them up their game.

Funny how they almost fell against Croatia last year in the televotes. But neighbours are priceless.

Navn Navnes

Back then Sweden was on a flopping streak. They had some jury saves to go to the Final (Top 9 televotes + jury wild card). Hero and La Voix weren't great. Probably Norway and Germany made them up their game.

Funny how they almost fell against Croatia last year in the televotes. But neighbours are priceless.
We give way too many points to Sweden, it's because they are our neighbour. There is a banter-rivalry, but when voting starts many votes goes to Sweden.

Last edited:

tomos2019

Cyprus and Ireland were really lacking.

You might not have known, but Cyprus had a Welsh singer so for neither of the two entries involving singers of Celtic origin to qualify just doesn't completely sit right with me given also that Eurovision is apparently supposed to support unrepresented peoples. I'm not accusing you personally of being some anti-Celtic person and I didn't expect to be turning against the UK entry from 2010 when I'm normally the one to defend that one (lol) but in recent years I have seen some really horrible anti-Celtic or even anti-British Isles stuff sometimes in the Eurovision fandom, whereas the UK seems to at least have those few nationalistic people actually in the UK that seem to think we should do well even if we send a bad song! Plus I confess that when Brooke didn't qualify this year the thought did cross my mind that, even though it won't happen, is there an argument at least on song quality alone for Ireland replacing the UK in the Big 5?!

Of course sorry in advance if I've offended anyone.

Top Bottom