Contact us

San Marino SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

How do you rate the entry?

51 27.6%

8 4.3%

6 3.2%

18 9.7%

17 9.2%

16 8.6%

12 6.5%

10 5.4%

11 5.9%

12 6.5%

24 13.0%

• Total voters

ag89

Get rid off Ralph, find local singers (there must be someone!), go thorough their own music, pay for a good production and you are in.

cegs5

Everything was good except that backing vocals, they ruined the song, and made it sound like crowd, jam, many people randomly speaking noise.

The song was born ruined tbh. It wasn't catchy or funny ... it was just boring, forgettable and ridiculous in the negative sense (not kitsch or freak, that would have been way better). I wouldn't be surprised if it was last in televoting, and being a microstate is no the reason to blame in this case, the entry was just bad.

I'm really sad that Valentina's comeback had to be with this 'thing'.

VedatiNet

The song was born ruined tbh. It wasn't catchy or funny ... it was just boring, forgettable and ridiculous in the negative sense (not kitsch or freak, that would have been way better tbh). I wouldn't be surprised if it was last in televoting, and bring a microstate is no the reason to blame in this case, the entry was just bad.

I'm really sad that Valentina's comeback had to be with this 'thing'.
Totally agree

Sammy

Veteran
I think after this, the EBU should seriously take the san marenese proposal for their televote into consideration otherwise their overall level frustration will push them into a definite withrawl

popavapeur

ok call me crazy but I liked San Marino yesterday evening. It was fun, Valentina was having a blast on stage, I really wanted them to qualify

Deleted member 8866

Well...

She managed to qualify to final in 2014 and I thought that was such a beautiful way to end her Eurovision journey. So I really didn't understand whose idea was to bring her back this year with a duett song, and AGAIN in combination with Ralph Siegel (seriously, San Marino?). I intentionally didn't want to hear the songs before the contest, but when I heard that Valentina is going to represent San Marino, I just said "Wait, what? But why?". I almost gave myself in... And boy am I happy that I didn't listen to the song before the semi final.

When Valentina and Jimmie started to perform yesterday, my reaction was, once again, "Oh God... Why, Valentina? For the love of Idontknowwhoonthisworld, why?". The song, in my opinion, is one of the worst songs in ESC history. Last year Serhat at least made me smile with his song, but this year I saw the whole Sanmarinese performance... Tragic, honestly. It looked like they're desperate for another qualification.

I still think Valentina has great voice and is a good jazz performer. Looking back at her previous three performances... Yeah, I have to admit, even the Facebook song was better that this years entry. I would never say that 3, 4, 5 years ago (since I was really, I can say, almost obsessed with Valentina - and my head still hurts a bit beacuse of that).

Please, San Marino, don't bring her back next year. Or ever again. Her time is done. I get it, that you're a small country, but I'm sure you have more than just one singer (heck, even my hometown has more multiple singers and the population is smaller than in your country) in your country. Same goes for Siegel.

:1: point from me. I rest my case.

Marko279

Well...

She managed to qualify to final in 2014 and I thought that was such a beautiful way to end her Eurovision journey...

Please, listen to the official song at this page without watching video, and tell us is it still bad. Would like to know your opinion.

musicfan

The song had some energy to it but it went on too long. Maybe they could have been brave and just made it a short song at nearer 2 minutes.

EscGeek

Veteran
This is not bad at all... Jimmie has the kind of voice that's rare in eurovision, and they sing in harmony...it's like a musical...how can anyone hate this?:?

Milos-BC

I had a transfer of shame while watching and listening to this song in the semi. Not as big one as last year but still............it was horrendous.

Valentina is just making a fool out of herself and is sinking deeper with almost each of her ESC entries. I hope we will not see her anymore. Equally, if :sm: would decide to withdraw, I doubt many people would miss their songs.

CaspianMortis

1 point in the semi-final. Oops.

Valentina will be back next year, and the year after that, probably the year after that too. She will probably be San Marino's entrant for a very long time.

By the way, she should have totally won in 2013 (she didn't even qualify!).

evija87

You almost did it San Marino. Almost. Thank that 1 point from televote. Can't wait to see which country. Honestly Salvador showed you, be yourself fullly, so time to grow some balls find a bloody sponsor for Valentina other than Ralph and send something more ambitious.

ChrisOL

And I said that they were probably close to qualify... Well, I've been proven wrong :D

GWTW1939

You almost did it San Marino. Almost. Thank that 1 point from televote. Can't wait to see which country. Honestly Salvador showed you, be yourself fullly, so time to grow some balls find a bloody sponsor for Valentina other than Ralph and send something more ambitious.

Salvador had a lot of free press and attention this week, lots of pimping in the last 24 hours before the final, and many of the foreign commentators and press talking about him like he was a musical/artistic god. He was the chosen one by TPTB just as Dami was last year. None of this will happen for San Marino, especially when they complain (rightfully!) about the unfair televoting procedure towards them

yes San Marino could do better song wise but it takes a lot of money even for the simplest of songs to get off the ground and most could care less about a micro-state so its far harder then people think :(

Top Bottom