Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Loindici

Veteran
At this point I would be very very surprised if the EBU does not give in at some point. I mean, they are dense but not stupid enough to let a third of their participants withdraw. Russia ain`t that important to Eurovision.

Maybe, but I'd not say the Russian diaspora ain't that important for Eurovision votes.

On the other hand, we'll probably have to wait for several other countries to release public statements, if that's what gonna make the EBU sure of excluding Russia from the contest.

Loindici

Veteran
Actually why hasn’t Rai spoke up about this. Why don’t they just threaten to not allow the Russian delegation into the country if they try to participate in Turin. Surely that would be the best option.
While this is a convincing idea, it'd not be a smart move considering their role as the HOST country. As Ajeje has said, they don't have the choice to unallow Russia since Eurovision participation is in the hands of EBU.

Ajeje Brazorf

blue00eyes

Pretending that everything is fine is EBU typical. They have "rules" they don't follow. Staying "apolitical" is just an excuse and ignorance.
Kicking out the Russian broadcaster from this year's contest is the only thing to do. Belarus is out already.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
BBC reported on Ukraine and Sweden asking Russia to be banned, but nothing from them personally that I've seen. I wouldn't expect anything though, the BBC is typically very politically neutral and i guess they'll want to preserve their international broadcasting.

The EBU will have no choice but to respond though with so many countries reacting and threatening to withdraw. If they don't then we're gonna see a boycott and one hell of a messy Eurovision. It shouldn't even be this hard to get the EBU to do this. Madness. It would be kinda poetic if Russias last entry for now would be Russian Woman from Manizha 🙌🏻.

Yes, this situation is clearly an Italian fault. Refresh your mind before it's too late... I mean: we are totally not happy about this situation. We Italians are not happy with the situation in our country either. Last two years were dreadful, internally. What do you suppose us to do alone?

Yeah yeah Zelenskiy has just a took an opportunity to toast Italy and your dearest Draghi on twitter from the bunker in Kyiv. It appears Draghi's tight schedule is fixed even for the president of another country under Russian shelling in bunker. Disgusting.

Go respond to him on twitter like you did to me, if you have the audacity.

Ajeje Brazorf

Yeah yeah Zelenskiy has just a took an opportunity to toast Italy and your dearest Draghi on twitter from the bunker.

Go respond to him on twitter like you did to me, if you have the audacity.

Draghi? Draghi was talking in Italian parliament about what to do about Ukraine-Russia while you were whining here doing absolutely nothing. It's easier to not being a Prime Minister than to be one, you know... I'm not a Draghi supporter myself, but I can't resist when someone spreads bullshit without a reason. You expect only Italians to do something, my question is: where are you? Have you ever thought this is not just a problem between Russia and Ukraine but it's a global scale problem?

Draghi? Draghi was talking in Italian parliament about what to do about Ukraine-Russia while you were whining here doing absolutely nothing. It's easier to not being a Prime Minister than to be one, you know...

The guy in the bunker said it all. Not taking a phonecall from the bunker asking for help, but rather holding a political speech in the parliament for the public parade. What a lack of honour.

Ajeje Brazorf

The guy in the bunker said it all. Not taking a phonecall from the bunker asking for help, but rather holding a political speech in the parliament for the public parade. What a lack of honour.

Like everybody else. But it's easier to shit on Italians, no? You talk like Italy is the headquarter of Europe, which is not, like Draghi is the Zar of Europe, he decides everything and all applaude and do what it's done, which is not, like Italy is so full of shit because doesn't do anything, like all the other Europeans countries... By the way, Draghi and Zelensky told to each other today, so no need to worry, all is solved no? Or is not?

Like everybody else. But it's easier to shit on Italians, no?

Who are everybody else? Croatian Prime minister voted for sanctioning VTB and Sberbank despite them holding one of the Croatian key companies. UK imposed the heaviest sanctions on Russia despite its financial sector depending on their investments. We are not the same.

And nobody is talking about Italians. Just your government.

Kaz

So just to be clear, as of today February 25:

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk: :lv: :lt: :nl::no: :se: :ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz: :pl::es:
UPDATE:
10 countries (meaning 1/4 of all participants) have now officially opposed Russia’s participation.

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk::ee::fi::is::lv::lt::nl::no::se::ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz::pl::es:

Ajeje Brazorf

Who are everybody else? Croatian Prime minister voted for sanctioning VTB and Sberbank despite them holding one of the Croatian key companies. UK imposed the heaviest sanctions on Russia despite its financial sector depending on their investments. We are not the same.

And nobody is talking about Italians. Just your government.

Incredible: we are imposing sanctions on imports and exports. Should I just remember you we import the 40% of gas from Russia? No, we are not the same. We are literally sacrifizing 2/5 of our internal energetic supply with our sanctions, without having any nuclear plants like other European countries (like France for ex) and large carbon production like others (like for ex. Germany) But obviously, Italian government isn't doing anything, don't worry... I repeat myself: I'm not a Draghi supporter, not at all. But saying he isn't doing nothing is bullshit! Italy will suffer the most of all countries of Europe for the sanctions applied to Russia. And we Italians didn't care, because it's right to do so.

Just don't think we are a power in Europe: our economy is slowly turning out to be like Greece more than like Germany, just saying. We could do something, but not that much: we are not in the same position of the '90s when Balkan wars happened. We have not the same power, not even half of that power, maybe not even a quarter. So what do you expect?

Last edited:

DanielLuis

UPDATE:
10 countries (meaning 1/4 of all participants) have now officially opposed Russia’s participation.

:dk::ee::fi::is::lv::lt::nl::no::se::ua:

:cz::pl::es:
You should create a new category for Estonia and Finland, countries which have actually threatened to withdraw from Eurovision if Russia isn't disqualified.

Incredible: we are imposing sanctions on imports and exports. Should I just remember we import the 40% of gas from Russia? No, we are not the same. We are literally sacrifizing 2/5 of our internal energetic supply with our sanctions. But obviously, Italian government isn't doing anything, don't worry... I repeat myself: I'm not a Draghi supporter, not at all. But saying he isn't doing nothing is bullshit! Italy will suffer the most of all countries of Europe for the sanctions applied to Russia. And we Italians didn't care, because it's right to do so.

Croatia also imports 40% of gas from Russia through Druzba pipeline. And despite that, they don't act like Draghi. If nothing, they answer a phonecall from a freaking bunker. 🤬😡

hzalfa

I watched Draghi's speech live and it's clear that Zelensky misunderstood the meaning of what he said. Draghi wanted to emphasize Zelensky's dire personal situation and that of Ukraine, but it was misunderstood as him being angry over the missed phone call. He was by no means trying to downplay what's happening right now. There are a lot of things I don't like about how Italy is handling this whole crisis, but getting mad at this speech is not only pointless but completely WRONG.

Anyway, I also believe that Russia won't participate in the end. After all this pressure I think the EBU is just waiting for Russian media to commit anything close to a faux pas in order to disqualify them.

Mainshow

Veteran
I just sent a mail to NDR demanding them to address this issue to the EBU by including a list of all broadcasters/country which have already been threating to withdraw/boycot. Not as beautifully written as @GermanBango ´s response but I think the message is loud and clear.

Sehr geehrte Mitarbeiterinnen und Mitarbeiter des NDRs,

Aufgrund des ungerechtfertigten und äußerst brutalen Krieges auf die Ukraine bitte ich Sie hiermit als ESC-Fan, die Europäische Rundfunkunion (EBU) aufzufordern, dass ein ESC mit Deutschland dieses Jahr nur OHNE RUSSLAND stattfinden kann.
Seit gestern haben russische Behörden neue Gesetze beschlossen, die die russischen Sender, die Teil der EBU sind, nicht mehr neutral berichten dürfen. Sie dürfen nur noch Informationen seitens der russischen Regierung verbreiten (dies hat die Tagesschau gestern berichtet). Damit werden die EBU-Regeln klar gebrochen und die russischen Sender gehören für unbestimmte Zeit gebannt.

Bis jetzt haben folgende Sender gedroht, sich vom ESC dieses Jahr zurückzuziehen oder die EBU aufgefordert, den russischen Sendern die Teilnahme zu verweigern:
- DR (Dänemark)
- ERR (Estand)
- YLE (Finnland)
- RUV (Island)
- LRT (Litauen)
- LTV (Lettland)
- AVROTROS (Niederlande)
- NRK (Norwegen)
- SVT (Schweden)
- UA:pBC (Ukraine)

Hiermit bitte ich Sei eindringlich, sich solidarisch mit der Ukraine zu zeigen und sich als NDR/ARD den europäischen Sendern anzuschließen, die sich für die Werte der EBU und des ESCs einsetzen. Als Sender, der die Teilnahme als eines der Big 5 Länder trägt und organisiert, hätte Ihr Wort viel Gewicht.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ajeje Brazorf

Croatia also imports 40% of gas from Russia through Druzba pipeline. And despite that, they don't act like Draghi. If nothing, they answer a phonecall from a freaking bunker. 🤬😡

I don't know if Zelensky called Plenkovic or vice versa, I'm sure Draghi was in line not only with Zelensky today, but also with Von Der Leyen, Johnson, Macron, Biden, etc... And by the way, as I recall and hzalfa has recalled, he HAD A CALL WITH ZELENSKY. Not only today but even in the past days... So stop spreading bullshit, please. Can't you? By the way, we were talking Eurovision and I want to Express my feelings about Eurovision and only that. I hope to see as many countries possible to take part but I'm starting to be afraid this could turn out to be a 2020 situation for other reasons. Hope not, obviously. But I see black on the horizon line.

hzalfa

Something else I'm not sure you got right, but it was not Zelensky trying to call Draghi and him not answering, it was a planned call. No shade because it seems like the news somehow got lost in translation internationally, but it's important to understand what happened.

Top Bottom