Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

crashworld

Veteran
That is absolute nonsense... Most of the scenarios you mention end up with cancelation of Esc but you dont see grounds for expelling Russia? Think of it as Eurovision self preservation.

I am just saying what would happen if EBU really wants to maintain their stand of being political-neutral and I can see why if EBU chose to go down that route.

I can definitely see why people wants Russia out but I can also see why EBU doesn't want to do that in order to keep up the rules & regulations that they are bound by. Unless EBU decides to changes its rules & regulations, I am afraid Russia will be allowed to compete.

Just to make it clear, I am by no means supporting the Russian government.

lilka

I just asked my grandpa (who had to flee from the Red Army after WWII as the oldest of 13 children … at the age of like 10) if he would have ever though that he has to witness another war breaking out in Europe. He just shacked his head and said: „I had hoped it wouldn’t happen but … people always make the same mistakes“
My thoughts exactly. I have never met one of my grandpas, because he died 5 years before I was born, the other one lived abroad, one grandma lived in Warsaw and our contacts were not frequent nor easy and I only in fact had one grandma of all those 4. And that particular grandma, whom I loved very much, has sadly now passed away, but I remember she always had tears in her eyes when she was telling me stories of how she used to risk her safety and life to get some food for her family in 1939, when she was only 9. And the same happened when she was talking about the Soviets “liberating” (f*** them!) Poland. I could feel the pain in her voice.
And now, history repeats itself. I cannot find a suitable word for Putin in English, only the Polish “skurwysyn” (which Russian or Ukrainian forum members probably understand) comes to my mind.

HayashiM

Veteran
As some others pointed out, many other countries over the recent years have been involved in international conflicts of various degrees, and EBU did not ban their participation.
Various degrees of conflict - sure, but... In modern history, I don't remember EBU allowing participation of a country that tried (and will very probably succeed at) swallowing their entire neighbour (whose broadcaster is an EBU member as well).

If Russia is allowed to compete, I am pretty sure half of EBU's members will refuse to participate and/or its entry will be booed to no end, but it would've still been an absolute disgrace. I doubt it will happen, EBU will budge.

GermanBango

The petition has reached 100 signatures now. I know most people see this as some kind of bad joke or silly or irrelevant but honestly I just feel like I have to do something. Idk.

Last edited:

Lindon

The petition has reached 100 signatures now. I know most people see this as some kind of bad joke or silly or irrelevant but honestly I just feel like I have to do something. Idk.
I would gladly claim it was because I retweeted you. But...sorry... it didn't help much.

Betwixt Tales

Denmark joins Sweden. (y)

DR joins the chorus and demands that the EBU choose to exclude Russia from Eurovision, which takes place in May in Italy. This is stated by Gustav Lützhøft, who is the editor-in-chief of the Danish Melodi Grand Prix.

"At DR, we find it wrong if Russia is to participate in Eurovision, as the situation is now. That is DR's position. And we will communicate that to the EBU."

- What do you think about the EBU's statement that Russia should be able to participate because Eurovision is an apolitical event?

"We disagree with the EBU's assessment in this case. Given the very serious situation in Ukraine right now, we find it incompatible with Eurovision's values that Russia is participating."

This is the Danish article: DR in opposition: Russia must GO!

midnightsun

Veteran
It is really unbelievable how gullible people can be. Do you think this Lazerev guy is going to make a statement criticizing his country and risking his career?
This kind of non specific statements that don' t say much are exactly the same as the 'peace and love' songs that Russia has always sent to Eurovision: propaganda.

You didn’t understand what I was trying to say. Of course Sergey doesn’t want to criticize his country but why should he? Many of his fellow inhabitants are as innocent as the Ukrainians. Many Russians don’t want that war. He doesn’t want it either. It’s not just "love love peace peace" of him, because if you followed him the past years (I did, by the way) you’d see he‘s always been a kind of sunshine. He‘s not trying to spread propaganda. Of course, he‘s nice and very polite. But not in an exaggerated way to anyone. He is like he is. I don’t see any reason why he should be involved in this drama when every official statement against war counts.

jatojo

I think the EBU should let Russia stay in the contest until the moment the Russians send in an entry. Then they should be banned.

Nah, just kidding. But I would enjoy it if it happened. :sneaky:

Romeo

This is getting silly! There is far too much politics getting involved in this! Eurovision is a politics free stage! That’s why I am not going to post anything controversial!

I actually think this would be a great song for Eurovision! It’s modern! Topical! And expresses the mood of the world right now:

Phoenix

People who want Russia out, but Azerbaijan and Israel in are massive hypocrites, there shouldn't be double standards then. Also Eurovision is supposed to be free of politics and on that basis I'd let Russia participate, but I think they would withdraw anyway as I doubt any of their artists would be willing to go.

12Pointsgoto.....

I can see that it might not be political neutral for russia to be banned, but on the other side, i think that russia also went against ebu rules

12Pointsgoto.....

People who want Russia out, but Azerbaijan and Israel in are massive hypocrites, there shouldn't be double standards then. Also Eurovision is supposed to be free of politics and on that basis I'd let Russia participate, but I think they would withdraw anyway as I doubt any of their artists would be willing to go.
You can see it that way

Romeo

hush your mouth about israel

Top Bottom