Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

GermanBango

According to Czech media, the IOC has asked all international sports organisations to move or cancel all their sports events that are to be held in Russia or Belarus in immediate future.

Come on, EBU!
A massive Russian doping scandal and THREE breaches of the Olympic peace by Putin too late, I`d say. Well better now than never ...

Etanna

The director of our public radio broadcaster Czech Radio (Český Rozhlas) who is also the Vice-Chair of the Radio Committee of the EBU wrote a letter to the EBU where he (following the example of the Ukrainian broadcaster) calls for the suspension of Russian media's membership in the EBU. He and the Czech Radio are also against Russia's participation in Eurovision. Source here. I don't understand why the Czech TV hasn't made a similar statement yet.

No way can the EBU let Russia participate now, too many broadcasters are speaking up against it already.

Amir

Veteran
EBU has to understand, that allowing Russia to the stage is a political statement in itself to the same extent as banning them. In the present situation there is no „non-political“ choice or standpoint. The only choice you have is the one of the side you want to take.

While this is true, the EBU should do their best to prevent the contest itself in May of becoming too political. They have banned Belarus, so why would it be a risk now?
We have seen what Azerbaijan and Armenia were able to cause.
And we have already seen reactions to Russia in the past.
It might be a political statement to ban them now, but if they don’t, then we will have the most political contest ever, that’s for sure.
They might be able to control the songs, but not the behavior of the people. And I don’t think people, whether they are artists, spokespersons or the audience, are going to stay silent, if Russia participates.

jatojo

That old hag does not hold any relevance anymore though.
Well, she represented the general geopolitical view in the country. And now there is one of DDR's good old friends sitting in her chair. Germany likes the East.

Lindon

On its online website, ORF reports in a short article on the objections of the various TV stations already mentioned, without taking a position themselves. But that could be the overture to it.

Mainshow

Veteran
The German broadcaster NDR (@GermanBango ) has already answered my mail:

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage und Ihr Interesse am Norddeutschen Rundfunk und seinen Programmen.

Hier finden Sie Informationen zu dem Thema:
Warum die EBU Russland nicht einfach vom ESC ausschließt | eurovision.de

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Unfortunately, they just referred back to a freshly posted article on their website why the EBU won´t neglect Russia from participating + that some broadcasters demanded the EBU´s stance on this issue to change.

NO statement on how the NDR reacts to this.

Loindici

Veteran
On its online website, ORF reports in a short article on the objections of the various TV stations already mentioned, without taking a position themselves. But that could be the overture to it.

From what I've experienced Austria has been a pretty chill participant, so probably they're showing their stance without having to announce anything. xshrug

GermanBango

Well, she represented the general geopolitical view in the country. And now there is one of DDR's good old friends sitting in her chair. Germany likes the East.
I`d ask you to elaborate but it probably does not belong here.

ag89

I cannot see Russia at the competition this year, it will not happen. EBU is a bit reserved (as most big international organizations), but they are not stupid to jeopardize the contest because of one country, even if it's Russia.

Lindon

The Council of Europe has suspended Russia over the attack on Ukraine. The Committee of Ministers with representatives of the 47 member countries decided today to release Russia from its rights of representation within the Strasbourg organization due to serious violations.

Jonkonfui

UPDATE:
10 countries (meaning 1/4 of all participants) have now officially opposed Russia’s participation.

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk::ee::fi::is::lv::lt::nl::no::se::ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz::pl::es:
Though i would love that to be the case, I dont have any information about Spain intending to withdraw
UPDATE:
10 countries (meaning 1/4 of all participants) have now officially opposed Russia’s participation.

Countries whose participants and/or broadcasters have officially called for Russia’s withdrawal:
:dk::ee::fi::is::lv::lt::nl::no::se::ua:

Countries who intend to withdraw from other international competitions as a result of Russian participation:
:cz::pl::es:
Id love to but i dont know about Spain. Unfortunately my country is not brave enough to have a firm attitude towards an international conflict.

Top Bottom