26 8.8%

10 3.4%

13 4.4%

6 2.0%

8 2.7%

58 19.7%

• Total voters

Odalis

In my opinion, one can be as gay as he wants in Russia - but only as long as he doesn't talk about it nor advertise it.

Yep, i have many gay friends and all of them feel just fine, still attending gay parties and couple of them even got married in another country few months ago. They still have no problem living here.
People also don't understand one little thing: only 25 years ago people in this country officialy got a bullet in their heads if proved to be gay (USSR, hello) and our president is a product of this system (worked for KGB for many years, born in the system and raised with certain beliefs) so you cannot just expect things to change that fast in just 25 years (let's even say 15 years because the first decade was a mess when the only thing people were worried about is how to get some food and survive by not getting shot) because the generation remembering the old laws is still alive and you cannot change what's going on in people's heads. It's like going to some hardcore muslim country and demand rights for women, yeah you can change laws but you cannot change people's state of mind that fast, they've lived like that for centuries.
Plus, it's not as bad as people may think, new generation is absolutely different and these crazy anti-gay people is just a minority right now, but unfortunately, a minority with power in their hands.
So patience, just patience, patience and time. 15 years is nothing)

Sammy

Veteran
In my opinion, one can be as gay as he wants in Russia - but only as long as he doesn't talk about it nor advertise it. However, people easily forget that many American celebrities until recently also didn't dare to talk nor advertise their homosexuality. Further, Europeans are forgetting that if we can be as gay as we want in some larger cities or circles that this doesn't mean that it is okay to be gay everywhere in the super democratic Western countries.

So, yes, are one law and a handful of its supporters the face of the whole nation? Moreover, critics here forget that Russia also gave a good deal of points last year to Conchita. And saying that Russia is being hypocritical when sending songs about peace and love to ESC is nothing less hypocritical as listening to peace and love songs sung by British, while they are starting wars or fighting hand in hand with USA... So, how come that only Russians are being judged hypocrits?

And after one week of debate about this political issue here on this forum, I must say I am dead tired of it. Only one thing is sure: last year I was only suspecting some things, this year I have learnt in this forum that I was right. In Europe, we are not all equal: national identities are still strong divisive lines among nations, but the only difference between today and let's say 50 years ago is that these nationalistic divisions are better conceiled.

If you want to end a discussion, you should not post directly afterwards a new message.
I respect opinions, but I like opinions, when they are backed up by arguments and facts. If you really think the position of a gay actor in america and the average gay in russia is comparable, then I find this quite cynical. I don't post the video here, because we are really getting off topic now, but check out that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NDOBTf5m1k

As you didn't want to prolong the discussion, I also stop on this point. CU around Carian.

Carian

If you want to end a discussion, you should not post directly afterwards a new message.
I respect opinions, but I like opinions, when they are backed up by arguments and facts. If you really think the position of a gay actor in america and the average gay in russia is comparable, then I find this quite cynical. I don't post the video here, because we are really getting off topic now, but check out that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NDOBTf5m1k

As you didn't want to prolong the discussion, I also stop on this point. CU around Carian.

I wasn't responding to you, for we don't speak the same language. I responded to ElRuso, so I don't understand why you are acting as though offended and implicitly accusing me of being cynical (and also of being a sort of a liar). I've clearly stated that I don't want to continue the dialogue with you, but I didn't forbid you posting here on this forum. If I must state it explicitly, then let me say only that all I was asking you was that I don't want being quoted by you, for I've got your point and there was/is nothing to add. And thank you for posting the link, but no thank you. Western journalism when reporting about Russia is 95% biased, and I have no desire to read or watch American anti-Russian propaganda. I am getting enough of this via our news by all media houses in Slovenia.

Thank you for your try, but no thanks once again. But I do agree with you on CU around. Bye

Carian

Yep, i have many gay friends and all of them feel just fine, still attending gay parties and couple of them even got married in another country few months ago. They still have no problem living here.
People also don't understand one little thing: only 25 years ago people in this country officialy got a bullet in their heads if proved to be gay (USSR, hello) and our president is a product of this system (worked for KGB for many years, born in the system and raised with certain beliefs) so you cannot just expect things to change that fast in just 25 years (let's even say 15 years because the first decade was a mess when the only thing people were worried about is how to get some food and survive by not getting shot) because the generation remembering the old laws is still alive and you cannot change what's going on in people's heads. It's like going to some hardcore muslim country and demand rights for women, yeah you can change laws but you cannot change people's state of mind that fast, they've lived like that for centuries.
Plus, it's not as bad as people may think, new generation is absolutely different and these crazy anti-gay people is just a minority right now, but unfortunately, a minority with power in their hands.
So patience, just patience, patience and time. 15 years is nothing)

Odalis, thanx for this post. Well, this doesn't mean I am happy about what you are telling, but you are the second person from Russia who is telling me exactly the same thing. But most of all, your post shows how complex the situtation is! However, what I gather from your post is that changes are underway, but as you stressed it, one has to be patient, for we really don't want Russian gays to be exterminated before these changes take roots!!! A lot of people forget that Putin's laws to reverse these changes actually demonstrate themselves that things are changing gradually. The same thing happened in the West, but right now it appears as though the Westerns are trying to rush things. I used to write for local gay column here in Slovenia, and I remember that I had a discussion with my editor back then when Olympics were taking place in Sochi. And we both agreed couple of months after the end of Olympics that apparently pro-American media abused the problems of Russian gay communities in order to denigrate not only Putin's politics in general, but Russia as a state. Indeed, as the lights went out in Sochi, nobody talked any longer about the struggling Russian gay community... So, what is there to conclude? Apart from the obvious fact that this anti-Russian propaganda is anything but a support from the West to the struggling Russian LGBT community. Odalis, so, from me you will get this: xrunhug

Btw, isn't your quote in your posts part of Svetlana Loboda's song ZHIT LYEHKO? Svetlana is simply amazing... Her 40 gradusov and Gorod pod zapretom are simply... Great? :)

Sammy

Veteran
I wasn't responding to you, for we don't speak the same language. I responded to ElRuso, so I don't understand why you are acting as though offended and implicitly accusing me of being cynical (and also of being a sort of a liar). I've clearly stated that I don't want to continue the dialogue with you, but I didn't forbid you posting here on this forum. If I must state it explicitly, then let me say only that all I was asking you was that I don't want being quoted by you, for I've got your point and there was/is nothing to add. And thank you for posting the link, but no thank you. Western journalism when reporting about Russia is 95% biased, and I have no desire to read or watch American anti-Russian propaganda. I am getting enough of this via our news by all media houses in Slovenia.

Thank you for your try, but no thanks once again. But I do agree with you on CU around. Bye

I'm sorry, but I understood your posting as if you wanted to end the discussion. Which you did not by reopening it with another one.

I'm not accusing YOU (as a person) of being cynical, (cynical btw does by no means imply the notion of lying) but the comparison between a actor in the closet in the united states to be equal on the situation of gays (see the link) in Russia was in fact cynical. If you don't like the CNN report, than go on the internet. You find the original russian videos there - unbiased and raw. Denouncing everything one does not like as propaganda is a very easy way of arguing.

Anyway, I really did not want to offend you, if so, I'm sorry.

Discussion is all about action and reaction. In a forum you can't choose who is responding or quoting you. I was hoping you would come with arguments, so that I understand better what you mean, but obviously you don't want this. Too bad, as I really enjoyed discussing with you. xwave

Carian

I'm sorry, but I understood your posting as if you wanted to end the discussion. Which you did not by reopening it with another one.

I'm not accusing YOU (as a person) of being cynical, (cynical btw does by no means imply the notion of lying) but the comparison between a actor in the closet in the united states to be equal on the situation of gays (see the link) in Russia was in fact cynical. If you don't like the CNN report, than go on the internet. You find the original russian videos there - unbiased and raw. Denouncing everything one does not like as propaganda is a very easy way of arguing.

Anyway, I really did not want to offend you, if so, I'm sorry.

Discussion is all about action and reaction. In a forum you can't choose who is responding or quoting you. I was hoping you would come with arguments, so that I understand better what you mean, but obviously you don't want this. Too bad, as I really enjoyed discussing with you. xwave

Some Tammie Brown wisdom :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjWpU9pyLo

I hope you get the joke :) Ciao

DoctorX

Overrated. Period.

(PS. I was totally against that she was booed during the voting tho. People has to learn individuals do not necessarily have to take the responsibility of the politics of their country.)

Early on, this wasn't one of my favorites either, but Polina totally nailed on stage... it jumped from #15 to #1 in 3 minutes! xclap

ElRuso

No wonder, i guess why the Russian politicies (Not the population) are every day more stupids..

http://wiwibloggs.com/2015/06/08/russian-politician-polina-gagarina-betrayed-conchita/97671/

Milonov again. He is actually nobody in Russia, just a member of St. Petersburg city council, and everybody in Russia knows that he is an idiot. He is invited to give interviews just for lulz. Also, he is trolled by many people, e.g.

Milonov speaks with cocaine

BTW, Milonov said that Polina betrayed Russia right before the Eurovision final, so wiwibloggs are apparently

tuorem

Time for me to review the Russian entry this year :D

Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices

Song: Tbh I wasn't expecting anything from the Russians this year as soon as I understood the entry was partly written by the composers of "What If", a song that I find completely wrong and cheesy as hell. Well, it seems like after a few listen of "A Million Voices", it's not as bad as I feared, it's actually better than their 2013 effort and less Disney-ish imo. However, the melody is still quite formulaic and the structure with the chorus, the choir towards the end and the last note... I mean, it's a recipe I know only too well, and it kinda spoils the freshness the entry is supposed to have imo. So apart from the fact that the song is anonymous music-Wise, it's also very cheesy lyrics-Wise. As I said before about Serbia and Hungary, I think it's difficult to write a song about peace or tolerance without sounding cliché, and again this one fails to convince me - not particularly because it comes from Russia, but because I think it's simply not credible to me. With that being said, I really failed to see what was so great about Russia this year: yes, the song is decent, but considering it a contender... I don't share that point of view.

Voice: The voice saves this song for me and it's the only reason I don't mind listening to it from time to time. Polina's voice is fantastic, she seems very experienced and her performances were really good, I think she's the true asset of this whole act. Nonetheless, I think it was a wasted opportunity to have chosen her for this meh ballad. A true dark Russian-penned composition with Russian lyrics would have been more realistic, interesting and suitable for her considering what she sings normally. But what can I do :(

Staging: I like how they staged it like a concert with just a band and visuals on the floor. Less is more, it worked well I think. Of course, they were all dressed in white to symbolize purity. I liked Polina's dress though, it was quite sexy with her plunging neckline. Both her dress and her hairstyle reminded me of Marilyn Monroe kind of. It was nice.

Outcome: Well, it did really well. I even thought we would go back to Moscow at some point, and I wouldn't have minded considering the top 3 at that time. It exceeded my expectations because I've been far more impressed by other acts than this one, but fair enough, it seems like Western countries liked it even more than the countries that usually vote for Russia. In my personal ranking, Russia is at the gates of my top 18, there are better songs imo but there are also lots of meh songs too, hence this place. Please Russia, could you stop sending songs about peace in English and that sound like Titanic/Disney ballads? I need some true Russian pop right now, you'll do well regardless, so please think out-of-the box next time xpray

ElRuso

Re: RUSSIA 2016

To all of the people and especially to @<b><a href="http://www.escunited.com/member.php?u=4544" target="_blank">A-lister</a></b>

The Russian version of A million voices

Much better than in English

Chorizo

To all of the people and especially to @<b><a href="http://www.escunited.com/member.php?u=4544" target="_blank">A-lister</a></b>

It's better because I can't understand the lyrics. :lol:

tuorem

Here is the proof that a language other than English can improve a song :eek: Even though the arrangements of the song remain cheesy, this is so much better in Russian.

I listened to this piano cover of the song and the melody is actually very nice. I don't know why they had to make it sound like a Titanic/Disney mix. It totally ruins the genuineness of it. An acoustic version in Russian would have been just fine xheat

Krinos

For some reason I don't like this version much. I feel like Polina's voice doesn't sound the same :/ Almost forced. Idk, I'm weird.

Top Bottom