Contact us

Rest of the world vote

Sammy

Veteran
Well, Chile broadcasted the final so that might be the reason :lol:
Sure, but did Canada and the US? Did Mexico and the UAE?
Given the alledgedly huuuuuuuuuuuuge kazhak fandom, you would expect the lifestream to have burned (like supposedly in Turkey which - as far as I know - did not broadcast it)
Or could it be…. perhaps…. who knows….. that the interest in fact is rather small? ooooops. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Sure, but did Canada and the US? Did Mexico and the UAE?
Given the alledgedly huuuuuuuuuuuuge kazhak fandom, you would expect the lifestream to have burned. Or could it be…. perhaps…. who knows….. that the interest in fact is rather small? ooooops. :ROFLMAO:
I am mainly talking about Chile here as you said even Mexico, Chile, and UAE. No idea about why UAE had that many voters. I know Mexico's fanbase is huge (most likely the biggest in Latin America? Or at least the most vocal) but idk about the show being broadcasted

Sammy

Veteran
I am mainly talking about Chile here as you said even Mexico, Chile, and UAE. No idea about why UAE had that many voters. I know Mexico's fanbase is huge (most likely the biggest in Latin America? Or at least the most vocal) but idk about the show being broadcasted
Ah, ok!

Well the bottom line is: Kazhakstan didn‘t have many voters, thus also a neglegible interest from the public and a small fanbase. But when I said this here one or two years ago I was called a liar and a racist.Turns out - I am neither of it.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Ah, ok!

Well the bottom line is: Kazhakstan didn‘t have many voters, thus also a neglegible interest from the public and a small fanbase. But when I said this here one or two years ago I was called a liar and a racist.Turns out - I am neither of it.
but we can't say that for sure? we don't know how many votes were cast by each country in ROW so not being in the top 10 countries from row (of over 100) =/= they have no interest

Sammy

Veteran
but we can't say that for sure? we don't know how many votes were cast by each country in ROW so not being in the top 10 countries from row (of over 100) =/= they have no interest
I think you actually can. I‘m not denying there might be an interest but it definitively is - as proven by the figures now - far far less important that some proponents (including the Kazhak officials) pretended.

And it aligns with an Interview with the founder and owner of the only broader known fansite esckaz.com, who is btw russian - not kazhak. (as is the whole site). The interview was led by one of the better known german and austrian bloggers Mario Lackner and Oliver Rau and can be read in their book „Friede Freude Quotenbringer“. There „Andy“ (= Andrey Mikheev) tells how he got to create esckaz.com. I freely translate:

„I worked as webmaster for the biggest festival of Asia Voice of Asia. It took place in Alma Ata / Kazhakstan and while flipping through the biographies of the contestants, I noticed that an event called „Eurovision“ was emerging several times: with Claudette Pace, Fabrizio Faniello, Monica Anghel,…
(…)
After having read about Eurovision, I wanted to know as much as I could about the event. In Russian this was doomed - there was absolutely nothing to find about the Eurovision song contest. So I decided to start my own site as a source of information in russian for all those who are interested in the ESC“

So the only known alledgedly kazhak fan website is made my a russian to inform in russian about almost exclusively ex-soviet countries. Also the rest of the team of the site (which btw has not been updated since 2020) is not from Kazhakstan but from Russia, Latvia and 2 correspondants from the UK. And it doesn‘t even have a section about Kazhakstan.

I just made a google search with the options „ESC eurovision song contest“ and limited it to the country of Kazhakstan. Do you know how many relevant hits I got? 13 (in words thirteen). And most of them news sites, that mentioned JESC. Not a single one identifiable as a fansite.

Now what is more probable in the light of this: that Kazhakstan has a huge fanbase who somehow does not massively vote once they have a chance to do so or that the interest is actually rather a minor one?
I logically would tend to believe the latter , but you free to differ of course.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
UAE is full of European expats, many of them gays as well, despite the sharia. UAE attracts lots of locally flexible single men with an appetite for money.

esc87fan

The contest did not air on TV here in Canada. Omni Television (a multicultural channel) lost the broadcast rights last year after airing the 2019 (on time delay) and 2021 (semis live, final on 21-hour delay) contests. Thankfully the geoblocks on the ESC YouTube channel streams were lifted in 2021 so I watched it there

njdevils94

Veteran
Ah, ok!

Not sure what your trying to infer here. The night of the final the competition would start very very late over there for :kz: and with them not in it you can't expect a large number. It's still bigger though than what we get from :au: and :cz: and a few other countries ever year. Once they clean up the phone line situation in 2024 they should be looking to compete.

Sammy

Veteran
Not sure what your trying to infer here. The night of the final the competition would start very very late over there for :kz: and with them not in it you can't expect a large number. It's still bigger though than what we get from :au: and :cz: and a few other countries ever year. Once they clean up the phone line situation in 2024 they should be looking to compete.
Nothing infering here. You just explained what I‘m arguing: The myth of the big public interest in Kazhakstan that the EBU criminally disrespects is once and for all debunked by this years ROTW. And you‘re right: one reason for the low interest may be in fact the time lap. Phone line situation has nothing to do with that. Phone lines dont alter time zones as far as I know.
Btw can you give me a link to the exact numbers of the ROTW-vote because on the official site I didn‘t see any numbers so how do you know that there were more Kazhak votes than Czech or Australian (and other countries?)

Last edited:

Miss Antartica

Canada vote for La Zarra because she have in Canada many friends and family members, UAE have many expats especial British but Russian too. Chile have a big croatian diaspora and they watch in tv and vote for Croatia.

Mainshow

Veteran
Kazakh people rarely use credit cards for payments.

Less than 15% of Kazakhstan's entire population have shopped online over the last year.

The Rest of the World vote was only operated via credit card payments.

Kazakhstan didn't broadcast the contest.

Kazakhstan not being part of the Top 5 countries whose views voted by credit card doesn't prove that "there are no fans in the country".

Anyway, if they get their own landline/online voting, I think that they should get the same rights to participate as Georgia/Cyprus or Turkey but since they stopped broadcasting the event due to RuZZia's being kicked out (this would be an indicator that Russians living in Kazakhstan were responsible for Kazakhstan's interest in Eurovision), I don't need them in eurovision for now

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I think you actually can. I‘m not denying there might be an interest but it definitively is - as proven by the figures now - far far less important that some proponents (including the Kazhak officials) pretended.

And it aligns with an Interview with the founder and owner of the only broader known fansite esckaz.com, who is btw russian - not kazhak. (as is the whole site). The interview was led by one of the better known german and austrian bloggers Mario Lackner and Oliver Rau and can be read in their book „Friede Freude Quotenbringer“. There „Andy“ (= Andrey Mikheev) tells how he got to create esckaz.com. I freely translate:

„I worked as webmaster for the biggest festival of Asia Voice of Asia. It took place in Alma Ata / Kazhakstan and while flipping through the biographies of the contestants, I noticed that an event called „Eurovision“ was emerging several times: with Claudette Pace, Fabrizio Faniello, Monica Anghel,…
(…)
After having read about Eurovision, I wanted to know as much as I could about the event. In Russian this was doomed - there was absolutely nothing to find about the Eurovision song contest. So I decided to start my own site as a source of information in russian for all those who are interested in the ESC“

So the only known alledgedly kazhak fan website is made my a russian to inform in russian about almost exclusively ex-soviet countries. Also the rest of the team of the site (which btw has not been updated since 2020) is not from Kazhakstan but from Russia, Latvia and 2 correspondants from the UK. And it doesn‘t even have a section about Kazhakstan.

I just made a google search with the options „ESC eurovision song contest“ and limited it to the country of Kazhakstan. Do you know how many relevant hits I got? 13 (in words thirteen). And most of them news sites, that mentioned JESC. Not a single one identifiable as a fansite.

Now what is more probable in the light of this: that Kazhakstan has a huge fanbase who somehow does not massively vote once they have a chance to do so or that the interest is actually rather a minor one?
I logically would tend to believe the latter , but you free to differ of course.
I don't think it is that simple? UAE does not have a popular ESC fansite (perhaps none at all) and it is still there, meanwhile Brazil has more fansites and it is nor there

And you are forgetting a crucial factor here: money. When 20 votes cost over 10% of one's salary of course less will be spent. Many of my friends in Brazil voted but they only decided to cast 2-3 votes instead of 20 because it was just not affordable. In Kazakhstan, it would be even worse so I don't blame them for not voting (IF that was the case - not being in the top 10 isn't enough of a proof to me without any detailed numbers)

Sammy

Veteran
I don't think it is that simple? UAE does not have a popular ESC fansite (perhaps none at all) and it is still there, meanwhile Brazil has more fansites and it is nor there

And you are forgetting a crucial factor here: money. When 20 votes cost over 10% of one's salary of course less will be spent. Many of my friends in Brazil voted but they only decided to cast 2-3 votes instead of 20 because it was just not affordable. In Kazakhstan, it would be even worse so I don't blame them for not voting (IF that was the case - not being in the top 10 isn't enough of a proof to me without any detailed numbers)
First if all: I never said there‘s zero interest in :kz:. I said: it‘s far less then pretended.

Secondly: there are indicators for this interest: media coverage, fansites, presence on existing fansites and also the voting behavior. As you perfectly argue: not all of the countries show all the indicators. The more they show (or the stonger some of them manifest itself) the stronger the interest. Kazhakstan shows very very little of them if any. So…

Miss Antartica

This is the first time the world has participated globally in a show, thanks to online voting. Maybe in 100 we will vote for the president of the World in this way.

Top Bottom