Contact us

Questions related to Azerbaijan, Baku

deese

in most cafes, clubs and restaurants we have smoking and non smoking parts, you can't smoke in subway and in all kinds of public transportation, in the shops. that's all.
water is drinkable some people drink running water but some don't.
our plov differs from the one you are talking about. here is the facebook page devoted to our food, you can look at the photos http://www.facebook.com/pages/AZƏRBAYCAN-MƏTBƏXİ/168708095670?sk=photos .

Narmina

That's a good question actually. Not that I was planning anything, but public hand holding, kissing, hugging??

Not, I don't think it's a good idea to kiss and hug in the streets :)

plov as in the Russian version or what do you put in it?? Dolma is what? Kebab you can eat pretty much everywhere :p

We have about 50 versions of Plov here in Azerbaijan...Dolma is grape leaves or eggplants with meat - very tasty :)...Kabab is indeed widely spread...Also you can taste Lavangi, Dushbara, Xingal, Kufta-bozbash and etc :)

gustav

Not, I don't think it's a good idea to kiss and hug in the streets :)

Does this also apply for straight couples? Is making out in public viewed with a critical eye or shouldn't we worry about that?

Sandrine

I remember to have seen the Stars of Baku in a folkloric festival in Belgium. It was nice to see the traditionnal azeris clothes and dances. Sometimes, I'm wondering how the azeris girls do to keep such long hair and long braids. In general, I think that the Azeris traditionnal outfit is like the Armenian ones. Long braids, small hat, long straight dresses with jacket and shirts. But Azeris dances were more spectacular in my opinion. Boys are crazy to dance and jump so quickly on their tiptoes.

nikolay_BG

Banned
Yes, we have folklore festival in my town every year and dancing troups from all over the word come here. People found the azeri and the tajik dances very spectacular. Also the cypriot ones. They are totally different from the known greek ones.

Sadly, I couldn`t go to that year when Azeris were showing their culture, because I was on work :(

Pixxie

Hola everyone! Greetings from Düsseldorf! :)

After enjoying some really great ESC-weeks in my hometown I can't wait for Baku 2012 now. :lol:

I have decided that I will try to go to Baku next year, so be prepared for a heap of questions from me. :mrgreen: :)

I'm sure that it will be a great experience. And the great hospitality of the Azerbaijani people is visible already here in the forum, and that makes me already feel welcomed. :)

Narmina

^ Dear Pixxie, you already welcome to my beautiful country. We are waiting for you here, I hope you won't be dissapointed. And don't hesitate to ask any question you want. I'm happy to help you :)

doctormalisimo

I have a rather pedantic question about the pronunciation of Baku. What syllable does the stress go on/ Is it BA-ku or ba-KU. Stupid question, I know.

Narmina

^ :D it doesn't matter I suppose in Azerbaijani we say ba-KI, so I think ba-KU is more acceptable..but again it doesn't matter :)

Pixxie

Good evening, Narmina! And thank you very much! :)

I have already a question. I've read in the internet (I've forgotten which site it was exactly, but it was some kind of "tourist guide") that the people in Azerbaijan are very polite and calm, but also a bit reserved, and that smiling in public is not common. And that smiling to strangers in public is seen as a mild form of laughing, which depending on the situation could even be seen as a bit offensive. For example, when you go to a bank (or a supermarket etc.) and smile to the clerk/salesperson, he/she will think that you are making fun of him/her.

Is this true?

Narmina

Of course no :D Yes, we are polite and calm, but we can smile to each other for sure. That info is nonsense :) For example I will never smile to a person on the street, if I don't know him...But being in supermarket or bank or etc - of course yes! It will help to make a conversation more interesting :)

Last edited:

Pixxie

Of course no :D Yes, we are polite and calm, but we can smile to each other for sure. That info is nonsense :) For example I will never smile to a person on the street, if I don't know him...But being in supermarket or bank or etc - of course yes! It will help to make a conversation more interesting :)

Thanks!! :)

I am relieved that it is not true. :lol:

Top Bottom