5 3.4%

10 6.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

goncalovieira

Do you think so?
Hum, I really like the song and he is such an amazing performer, but still...

JSSArcos

I decided to wait until the day of the final to make my final top (pre-show). I anticipated that I would change things, and that's what happened :mrgreen:

13- Esse Povo - Sapatos De Cimento / This song didn't deserve to be in the final. It's a complete mess on stage, and the lyrics are very bad, I believe it is last in the final

12- Inês Apenas - Fim Do Mundo / actually liked this song in the studio version (and the music video is very good), but it didn't work on stage. The timing was off and the vocals were very inconsistent. The entire concept of the performance failed, and it became very confusing (the idea was there, but it didn't work). It was saved by the televote.

11- Dapunksportif - World Needs Therapy / "As a fan of rock/metal, I liked this at first, it was quite acceptable, but in a year with so much rock/metal, I can't see it competing with LORD OF THE LOST or Voyager. The song has lost a lot of its appeal to me over the past few weeks, But happy to see this genre represented in the final

10- Voodoo Marmalade - Tormento / This is quite lively and enjoyable, but that's about it. Something is missing

9- Churky - Encruzilhada / Captivating sound, good surprise, but the lyrics are totally cliché.

8- Bárbara Tinoco - Goodnight / Festival disappointment for me! It was my 3 favorite (before the show)... The initial idea was good, but it didn't work out. It became confusing, scary, and lost connection with the music. In summary, cute music, pleasant voice, good attempt at staging, but it failed...the staging was very awkward (the camera stayed still on the people for too long). We understand what you were trying to achieve, but The result is a bit strange and ends up distracting from the music itself.

7- Ivandro - Povo / This song grew on me a lot this week. I'm not a fan of Ivandro, I saw him live once and was very disappointed, However, 'Povo' is a beautiful song, with a very simple staging that works.

6- Neon Soho - Endless World / When a performance manages to smooth out the repetitive chorus problem almost entirely. I love the atmosphere that is created around the music, excellent performance (one of the best of the year),

5- SAL – Viver / A very consistent entry, very professional, staging that worked and made the music grow on stage. A very Portuguese sound (clearly influenced by Diabo na Cruz, whom I love) very happy that you made the final

4- You Can’t Win, Charlie Brown / This is a masterpiece!!! An authentic musical pearl!! I was already a fan of the band and I became even more so. I love the introverted, comfortable feel of this song! Pure emotion in the way they perform, with such a welcoming staging ! xheart

3- Mimicat Ai Coração / Wasn't love at first listen, initially I didn't understand what all the fuss was about and didn't find anything particularly catchy (it was even outside my top 10 initially), but it has grown on me a lot over the past few weeks. That is incredibly well done, with a lot of attention to detail. The song has highs and lows that, combined with the incredible voice, bring the song to life.
Just think that it could improve on stage, those dresses are not working, if it improves live today, it could easily move up to my second place! I wouldn't be upset if this powerful song represented us in Liverpool !

2- Cláudia Pascoal - Nasci Maria / Actually, it used to be my favorite and I still think it's the most complete package. This performance is wow, but the lyrics are too repetitive and, after so many weeks, it doesn't have the same magic as it did at the beginning. I still like it (especially if I watch the performance, so it still works for me), but I don't listen to it on Spotify anymore.

1-Edmundo Inácio - A Festa / My hopes were on this boy and he did not disappoint, I've been a fan since his time on The Voice, I love his voice and the way he delivers on stage... Extraordinary voice and meaningful lyrics and an incredible final result on stage!
I don't know if you can win, but you will be in the fight and my vows (most of them) will go to Edmundo!

A very strong final (one of the best since the new era), I can't predict a winner, I think Mimicat will win the televote, but at least 3 or 4 songs can win the jury and we may have surprises.

Mainshow

Veteran
The thing is... Edmundo's song is really good but not that competitive. That is the question.

As a foreigner, believe me when I say that Mimicat´s song is less competitive (and I´m not sure about Claudia, either).

It´s a pity, :pt: has to compete in semi 1 - This year, however, there´s a lack of ballads...I honestly believe Edmundo is the best choice for you guys.

Mainshow

Veteran
3- Mimicat Ai Coração / Wasn't love at first listen, initially I didn't understand what all the fuss was about and didn't find anything particularly catchy (it was even outside my top 10 initially), but it has grown on me a lot over the past few weeks. That is incredibly well done, with a lot of attention to detail. The song has highs and lows that, combined with the incredible voice, bring the song to life.
Just think that it could improve on stage, those dresses are not working, if it improves live today, it could easily move up to my second place! I wouldn't be upset if this powerful song represented us in Liverpool !

2- Cláudia Pascoal - Nasci Maria / Actually, it used to be my favorite and I still think it's the most complete package. This performance is wow, but the lyrics are too repetitive and, after so many weeks, it doesn't have the same magic as it did at the beginning. I still like it (especially if I watch the performance, so it still works for me), but I don't listen to it on Spotify anymore.

1-Edmundo Inácio - A Festa / My hopes were on this boy and he did not disappoint, I've been a fan since his time on The Voice, I love his voice and the way he delivers on stage... Extraordinary voice and meaningful lyrics and an incredible final result on stage!
I don't know if you can win, but you will be in the fight and my vows (most of them) will go to Edmundo!

We share the same Top 3 - Personally, I wouldn´t go back listening to Mimicat´s song but she´s very talented and her performance is quite entertaining (but I still believe that it´s not "enough" to make an impact in Liverpool - especially in semi 1).

Edmundo wasn´t my favourite at first (I think that Nasci Maria is way too catchy and memorable to not make the best first impression) but his vocal performance was absolutely incredible and his performance is very unique as well - if Portugal doesn´t want to throw away it´s slight chance to qualify.. that´s the way to go - but personally, I think "Nasci Maria" has a bigger replay value (if we rank the studio versions only)..

but overall, all three performance would look great on stage in May!

Have fun tonight, guys!

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
FdC 2023 final in my book:

1. Esse Povo "Sapatos de cimento" 10/10
2. Ivandro - "Povo" 10/10
3. Edmundo Inacio - "Festa" 10/10
4. You Can't Win, Charlie Brown "Contraste mudo" 10/10
5. Cláudia Pascoal - "Nasci Maria" 10/10
6. Neon Soho - "Endless World" 9/10
7. Inês Apenas - "Fim do mundo" 8/10
8. Voodoo Marmalade - "Tormento" 8/10
9. SAL - "Viver" 8/10
10. Bárbara Tinoco - "Goodnight" 7/10
11. Churky - "Encruzilhada" 7/10
12. Mimicat - "Ai coração" 7/10
13. Dapunksportif - "World Needs Therapy" 4/10

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

The thing is... Edmundo's song is really good but not that competitive. That is the question.
I don't think the song will stand out that much, the first half of the first semifinal is filled with male singers and although I can see Edmundo qualifying, maybe thanks to the diasporas from arab countries, I also think that the way he performs and dresses may be a turn off for some people.
Also staging-wise, Edmundo will do the same thing as he did in the semifinal and what we will see tonight is the final concept on how things will be staged on eurovision, Portugal has maybe a week to submit the info on how the song will be staged to EBU and that isn’t enough time to revamp it.
I agree that "A Festa" brings an untapped flavor to the semifinal, but Mimicat also brings something different and I still believe that she could be an option for those that don't enjoy alternative music in a semifinal filled to the brim with alternative songs.
My only fear on sending Mimicat this year is that if a high-tempo song don't qualify I can see the general public retreating into the comfort of the high scores of Maro and Salvador and if next year there's a great bop in the competition people may not vote for it fearing that it will not work and I really hope that Portugal actually sends something fun very soon, the last one was in 2015 and since them every single song was about loss and grieving.

goncalovieira

Come on, would you think that Ireland, Latvia, Croatia, Malta, Netherlands or even Serbia (yes, that song will be the fan flop of the year) stands more chances than us?
I do not have doubts about our Q chances sending either Mimicat, Edmundo or even YCWCB... the big issue here is about the result in the final.
And we have France and Switzerland voting on the semifinal. Sending Mimicat would lock 12 points from them.

• Undo my Sad
Reactions: Mrm

Semra

We do miss ethnic, slower songs in the finals though. He's competitive for me at least ;) I don't know. None of them will win (Mimicat or Edmundo) so maybe a tranquil Edmundo moment will stand out more among all the high action this year?

• La La Love
Reactions: Mrm

Semra

My only fear on sending Mimicat this year is that if a high-tempo song don't qualify I can see the general public retreating into the comfort of the high scores of Maro and Salvador and if next year there's a great bop in the competition people may not vote for it fearing that it will not work and I really hope that Portugal actually sends something fun very soon, the last one was in 2015 and since them every single song was about loss and grieving.
hahah
That's why I love Portugal. I'm a sad kinda girl and like a good cry along.
I adored Sobral and Maro. Magic to my ears.

Mrm

Veteran
hahah
That's why I love Portugal. I'm a sad kinda girl and like a good cry along.
I adored Sobral and Maro. Magic to my ears.
The sameeee...ADORE :pt: melancholy.. xlove xheart

rasmuslights

Veteran
exactly. why do people always want a change? stick with what you're good at. Look at Belgium, not sending dark pop is just not working for them. Portugal is known for fado - you can do it every year and I'd be happy, same with French chansons.

Decayingbooks

exactly. why do people always want a change? stick with what you're good at. Look at Belgium, not sending dark pop is just not working for them. Portugal is known for fado - you can do it every year and I'd be happy, same with French chansons.
Because the portuguese music industry isn't just fado or sad songs?
Don't you want a bop like this to come from Portugal one of these years?

Or this bop by a former jesc contestant?

Both of these songs curiously co-written by Tioz, who also co-wrote Tinoco's song "Goodnight".

JSSArcos

Because the portuguese music industry isn't just fado or sad songs?
Don't you want a bop like this to come from Portugal one of these years?

Or this bop by a former jesc contestant?

Both of these songs curiously co-written by Tioz, who also co-wrote Tinoco's song "Goodnight".

I understand what you're saying, maybe it would be necessary to have a bop in the final (even because of the diversity).

But this also depends on each person's taste.

Personally, I wouldn't support either of those two entries
And I'm completely "happy" with the direction fdc has taken in recent years.

FilipeGolias

I mean I'm not opposed to Portugal sending something upbeat. I'm opposed to Portugal sending something upbeat just for the sake of it.

I don't think that the FdC winner has ever been chosen with that mindset. Whatever gets chosen tonight is because it was regarded as the best entry of the selection. And maybe that's what's been making things work later in ESC (?)

goncalovieira

Guys, tonight Maro's crown will be given to someone else. She is probably my favorite representative since 90's and I am still so proud of her path since Eurovision.
Such an amazing artist!💞

Decayingbooks

I'm not saying that a bop should win just because it's a bop, but I find the idea that Portugal should only send variants of Salvador Sobral until the end of times very depressing...

Top Bottom