Love is…
Love is…
Love is…

Love is on my side
Maybe not tonight​

Last edited by a moderator:

crashworld

Veteran
Personally, I think that this should be the main point of Eurovision. I wish other countries were as authentic and bold as Portugal (usually) is.

While it's good to showcase the world your local music scene. But then there is a cost to it, because they are not for the masses, so it will take alot more for people to click with their music. I mean even though they won in 2017, but i do think that is just a one-off fluke.

Mainshow

Veteran
Yeah but globalisation sucks in Eurovision. If I want to listen to 41 songs which are all contemporary, en vogue and international, I can buy a compilation CD or click on a Spotify list of some trending songs right now.

Eurovision should always be about local factors - either authenticity, fun, language or just preferences.

crashworld

Veteran
Yeah but globalisation sucks in Eurovision. If I want to listen to 41 songs which are all contemporary, en vogue and international, I can buy a compilation CD or click on a Spotify list of some trending songs right now.

Eurovision should always be about local factors - either authenticity, fun, language or just preferences.

But then I feel they should do a fusion? They can still keep the authentic local music influences but infuse with some contemporary sounds? Maybe that way there could be a greater appeal?

opinionsigotem

Karetus left me stone cold with that performance. Absolutely unconvinced it's winning now.

Pretty shocking showing all around from everyone (IAN was a fun trainwreck who will be missed), Valeria probably had my favourite performance but Europe will be like "oh, another fado, 15th in the semi" so...

ANYWAY the main thing is that Dora came back to slay us with her 1986 entry which was ROBBED btw, one of my all time besties:

JSSArcos

disappointment of the night: mema. – Claro Como Água - what horrible clothes, meaningless choreography ... I expected much more of this

surprise at night: Sara Afonso – Contramão - one of the songs that has risen the most in me, a simple song, but with a perfect result. Excellent composition of Filipe.

Unlike many Portuguese, I loved the staging of Karetus, some wrong camera plans, but I hope much better in the final. Romeu Bairos was a little nervous, and I hope he improves his vocals for the final too.

Valeria was perfect just as I expected

My top 10 (SEMI FINAL1)

10- IRMA "Livros"
9- Miguel Marôco "Girassol"
8- Fábia Maia "Dia Lindo"
7- Nadine "Cheguei Aqui"
6- mema. "Claro Como Água"
5- The Black Mamba "Love is on My Side" (I see all its quality, but music is not for me)
4- IAN "Mundo" (ROBBED )
3-Sara Afonso "Contramão"
2-Valéria "Na Mais Profunda Saudade"
1-Karetus e Romeu Bairos "Saudade"

lacrymea

Katetus
disappointment of the night: mema. – Claro Como Água - what horrible clothes, meaningless choreography ... I expected much more of this

surprise at night: Sara Afonso – Contramão - one of the songs that has risen the most in me, a simple song, but with a perfect result. Excellent composition of Filipe.

Unlike many Portuguese, I loved the staging of Karetus, some wrong camera plans, but I hope much better in the final. Romeu Bairos was a little nervous, and I hope he improves his vocals for the final too.

Valeria was perfect just as I expected

My top 10 (SEMI FINAL1)

10- IRMA "Livros"
9- Miguel Marôco "Girassol"
8- Fábia Maia "Dia Lindo"
7- Nadine "Cheguei Aqui"
6- mema. "Claro Como Água"
5- The Black Mamba "Love is on My Side" (I see all its quality, but music is not for me)
4- IAN "Mundo" (ROBBED )
3-Sara Afonso "Contramão"
2-Valéria "Na Mais Profunda Saudade"
1-Karetus e Romeu Bairos "Saudade"
Saudade (Karetus) lost strength on stage, particularly in the chorus. Maybe it was the broadcast sound mixture, I don't know. But I was a bit worried about that.

Romeo was clearly nervous, but that is fixable. The caretos dancers need to be more involved with the performance somehow. And that red carnation gimmick really needs to go.

Other than that, it's fine. But I honestly don't see them as the front-runners anymore, unless something changes in the final.

DanielLuis

Karetus left me stone cold with that performance. Absolutely unconvinced it's winning now.

Pretty shocking showing all around from everyone (IAN was a fun trainwreck who will be missed), Valeria probably had my favourite performance but Europe will be like "oh, another fado, 15th in the semi" so...

ANYWAY the main thing is that Dora came back to slay us with her 1986 entry which was ROBBED btw, one of my all time besties:

I keep reading this everywhere, but Portugal has literally never sent a fado to Eurovision ever.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
"another boring, slow, inconsequential and/or weird Portuguese entry, 15th place in the semi" then.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I think thhe biggest issue in Karetus' staging is

1. cameras too far away (hello tel aviv) during the first half when there is nothing happening in the staging
2. as lacrymea pointed out, the dancers need to be more involved in the performance. the final part (them going into the cube) was nice and all but we need more

thankfully i think this is all fixable and i still have expectations for them to defeat generic indie sadboi ballad 342897234789 hyped for no reason neev - dancing in the stars give us a fantastic performance!!!

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think some people hear portuguese and bang! they assume it's Fado. I was watching a reaction video the other day, and when Contramão came on, the reactor called it Fado 🤷‍♀️

And many people think that "Vida Minha" was Fado.

Like, Fado, Fado, never was at eurovision.

Decayingbooks

I don’t want to sound rude, but none of the stagings last saturday were Eurovision ready and I’m kinda tired of that happening every year. In other national finals we see contestants with a full package ready to go to Rotterdam and in Portugal we have people praying for a revamp or that they actually do something apart from standing in the middle of the stage with the camera going “you spin me right round, baby right round” for 3 minutes(looking at you Valéria).
The artists in Portugal when entering the competition need to start playing the staging game, make it visually appealing, make it visually unique, make it worth watching. A lot of songs in Eurovision are elevated through their visuals and in the last 4 years of Festival da Canção maybe only Surma in 2019 managed to do it.
Anyway, I really hope that visually things will be way better in semifinal 2 and although Karetus are still a favorite, I think that Joana Alegre, Carolina Deslandes or Neev have a higher chance of winning this competition.

DanielLuis

I think thhe biggest issue in Karetus' staging is

1. cameras too far away (hello tel aviv) during the first half when there is nothing happening in the staging
2. as lacrymea pointed out, the dancers need to be more involved in the performance. the final part (them going into the cube) was nice and all but we need more

thankfully i think this is all fixable and i still have expectations for them to defeat generic indie sadboi ballad 342897234789 hyped for no reason neev - dancing in the stars give us a fantastic performance!!!
The thing is, will RTP even allow them to make changes for the final? I'm honestly not sure :lol:

DanielLuis

I think some people hear portuguese and bang! they assume it's Fado. I was watching a reaction video the other day, and when Contramão came on, the reactor called it Fado 🤷‍♀️
That has to be the worst offender I've ever heard of :lol:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
How did Ian's belly inflate during her performance? xthink

Top Bottom