Love is…
Love is…
Love is…

Love is on my side
Maybe not tonight​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
No, it's not even the fault of the juries.

If we're compiling the number of songs in English/partially in English in the televote days, starting from when the language rules have been abolished:
1999 - 14/23 = 61% (winning in English)
2000 - 17/24 = 71% (winning in English)
2001 - 20/23 = 87% (winning in English)
2002 - 19/24 = 79% (winning in English)
2003 - 19/26 = 72% (winning in English)
2004 - 27/36 = 75% (winning in English + Ukrainian)
2005 - 28/39 = 72% (winning in English)
2006 - 29/37 = 78% (winning in English)
2007 - 33/42 = 79% (winning in Serbian)
2008 - 29/43 = 67% (winning in English)

Technically, they're still high, we never have a year below 50%. It might feel more diverse since some of these entries are partially in their national language, which of course if we exclude them, the number of purely English-languaged entries might be lower. xthink

Do you have the % stats for the years with juries as well? So I understand you put in the "English" group all entries that were either fully or partly in English right?

Loindici

Veteran
No, it's not even the fault of the juries.

If we're compiling the number of songs in English/partially in English in the televote days, starting from when the language rules have been abolished:
1999 - 14/23 = 61% (winning in English)
2000 - 17/24 = 71% (winning in English)
2001 - 20/23 = 87% (winning in English)
2002 - 19/24 = 79% (winning in English)
2003 - 19/26 = 72% (winning in English)
2004 - 27/36 = 75% (winning in English + Ukrainian)
2005 - 28/39 = 72% (winning in English)
2006 - 29/37 = 78% (winning in English)
2007 - 33/42 = 79% (winning in Serbian)
2008 - 29/43 = 67% (winning in English)

Technically, they're still high, we never have a year below 50%. It might feel more diverse since some of these entries are partially in their national language, which of course if we exclude them, the number of purely English-languaged entries might be lower. xthink

@A-lister Let's say we apply the same criteria to the contests after 2008...

2009 - 33/42 = 79% (winning in English)
2010 - 26/39 = 67% (winning in English)
2011 - 36/43 = 84% (winning in English)
2012 - 30/42 = 71% (winning in English)
2013 - 22/39 = 56% (winning in English) - outlier?
2014 - 33/37 = 89% (winning in English)
2015 - 34/40 = 85% (winning in English)
2016 - 39/42 = 93% (winning in English + Crimean Tatar)
2017 - 38/42 = 90% (winning in Portuguese)
2018 - 30/43 = 70% (winning in English)
2019 - 32/41 = 78% (winning in English)
2020 - 32/41 = 78% (everybody wins)

If we average the numbers of:
1999-2008: 74.1%
2009-2020: 78.3 % (but I also counted 2013, which could've been an outlier)

I'd say an increase of 4.2% in average isn't really that much (?), but the surge happened starting from 2014, in which Sweden and Denmark won. I'd say it's not mostly due to 'juries' factor only, but also probably that these countries are putting the Scandinavians or the Western countries as a model of success in Eurovision.

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister Let's say we apply the same criteria to the contests after 2008...

2009 - 33/42 = 79% (winning in English)
2010 - 26/39 = 67% (winning in English)
2011 - 36/43 = 84% (winning in English)
2012 - 30/42 = 71% (winning in English)
2013 - 22/39 = 56% (winning in English) - outlier?
2014 - 33/37 = 89% (winning in English)
2015 - 34/40 = 85% (winning in English)
2016 - 39/42 = 93% (winning in English + Crimean Tatar)
2017 - 38/42 = 90% (winning in Portuguese)
2018 - 30/43 = 70% (winning in English)
2019 - 32/41 = 78% (winning in English)
2020 - 32/41 = 78% (everybody wins)

If we average the numbers of:
1999-2008: 74.1%
2009-2020: 78.3 % (but I also counted 2013, which could've been an outlier)

I'd say an increase of 4.2% in average isn't really that much (?), but the surge happened starting from 2014, in which Sweden and Denmark won. I'd say it's not mostly due to 'juries' factor only, but also probably that these countries are putting the Scandinavians or the Western countries as a model of success in Eurovision.

Thanks for digging into this and the stats, it's interesting indeed xclap

Well, an increase of 4.2% might mean something if the numbers are already high, but yeah I get your point although on average it has become somewhat worse.

You do have a point with the style/genre of entries as well, and I've always been pointing out that the two go hand in hand, juries prefer that style (conventional standardized Pop by the dozens and conventional ballads) over let's say ethnic entries or more "experimental" styles, and it's more in the latter we tend to hear native languages...

It's just sad because from some countries you kinda "expect" them to not jump on the bandwagon so while getting an English language entry from Portugal might not be a disaster per se, it still raises some question marks... if that makes any sense? I mean Sweden constantly sending English is no surprise really, but Portugal, Serbia, Spain, France, Italy now that's a different matter so it's a bit like if they also start with English on a regular basis, then I guess it could be "game over" for native languages in ESC. It's not the separate entry that is the problem, but where do we go from here? It's certainly not a good trend if one truly believes in a diverse Eurovision.

A-lister

Veteran
You are the only sad thing around here tbh, always on and about the same stale old subjects everybody read a thousand times already. Shoo... Go away now.

The only sad thing are people like you whose only contribution to a discussion is attacking people for not sharing your opinions or whatever... do you call this response constructive? xshrug I don't understand your need to jump on me in different threads like what did I do to you personally really? I have the right to express my thoughts in here like everyone else, no need to make it personal... it's a discussion forum right? My opinions matters as much as anyone else's... if you can't take it just ignore it, there's an ignore button for that if you feel I repeat myself and it hurts poor you... I suggest you'll use it ...

JChan

First of all, AMAZING selection put on by RPT. I wasn't able to watch the entire final tonight but the semi's had some truly fantastic songs. Also kudos to RPT for putting together that fantastic stage and some of the best NF graphics of the season. It's nice to see the contest doing well in Portugal as well, with the highest televoting numbers they've ever had.

As for the winning song, I simply adore it. I think the staging is genius, I love how they move from black and white into colour. And I think the song itself is so catchy, builds beautiful and has a great melody. It's obviously subjective but I simply love this song and I wish the best for it in May. :12: Portugal!!

JChan

So even Portugal sells out to English now...

This is shaping up to be the most Anglovision ever... thank you juries and EBU, your "input" is paying off! ... so much for celebrating diversity... xshrug
I'm not too sure if Portugal is "selling out" since the it was the televote that propelled them to victory but I understand your larger point. I think the prevalence of English entries isn't due to the juries but more so because the contest in broadcast in English and English is the most widely understood language across Europe. I can understand contestants wanting the greatest number of people to understand what their song is about.

(Even though I very much think this song could have even more impact if it was kept in Portuguese).

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not too sure if Portugal is "selling out" since the it was the televote that propelled them to victory but I understand your larger point. I think the prevalence of English entries isn't due to the juries but more so because the contest in broadcast in English and English is the most widely understood language across Europe. I can understand contestants wanting the greatest number of people to understand what their song is about.

(Even though I very much think this song could have even more impact if it was kept in Portuguese).

"Selling out" is just my expression for it, should be taken lightheartedly ;)

English is certainly "lingua franca"... but only to some extent... English isn't that widely known in all parts of Europe as some might think (although it's becoming better).

I dunno, there's not much I can add to it that I didn't already say, I guess I'm one of those rare Eurovision fans left who liked the contest for its diversity and don't need to understand lyrics to appreciate a song (also Eurovision is hardly known for its "high level" English language lyrics either let's be honest :lol:).

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I wasn't expecting this from Portugal. It's a nice composition but I feel that I should be digging this as a whole more than I am. An obvious Eurovision comparison point would be The MakeMakes and we know what happened there. I'd argue also that I Am Yours was a stronger song. There's a bit too much schmaltz for me going on in Love Is On My Side but the song is alright. It's something I would add to my Eurovision playlist. It's just hard to drum up any real level of excitement here.

:6: points for now with the potential to go a bit higher. Carolina would have gotten more points from me, NEEV less, so this is like a meet in the middle choice for my tastes. The other two would have been much wiser picks though I feel.

mauve

Veteran
On the one side a beautiful melody, on the other side really repetitive ... don't know yet how to rate it. Maybe a :6:?

opinionsigotem

It's not TERRIBLE by any means but it's just like... of all the songs in the selection why pick this one?

Sammy

Veteran
Oh Portugal, what have you done!? This may be the most annoying chorus I‘v ever heard for a long time. The tone of his voice feels (not sound!) like scratching some nails over a blackboard to me. Moreover, it‘s really boring, even for Portugese standards.
But it‘s good news for Ana: she won‘t be dead last in my ranking this year.

I somehow expected that Neev wouldn‘t win after he topped the wiwibloggs poll. At the moment that poll is like a compass needle that always points south. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Decayingbooks

In the interview, at 6:50, Tatanka explains that there's a backstory to "Love is on my side".

The song is based in the life story of an old woman that they met in 2018 in the Bulldog, Amsterdam.
She was from East Europe and came to the Netherlands full of hope and dreams, but things didn't worked out, she became a drug addict and a prostitute, but even though her life was so dark she always believed that love was on her side and was hopeful that things would be better one day.

crashworld

Veteran
Urmm, Portugal I know you guys like to send entries that is authentic and closer to your home country's music scene, which usually means it's harder to resonate with the general public. But I'm sorry, the winning song is just not my cup of tea. It's ok, like your typical elevator music or something they will play in a jazz bar or posh cafe. You know background music.

I'm giving this a 4 because it's not noise or trash, just very meh.

Mainshow

Veteran
generous :2: pts. Annoying voice, lame chorus but the arrangement is alright.

The supersaturday was horrible.

marty

The song is not very innovative and the singer lacks charisma. I give 4 points.

Ezio

Veteran
I enjoyed the FDC the most in all its length, and DMGP and EestI Laul not so much. But I am listening to their winners now. Sometimes it’s better to have a shitty lineup and one obvious winner than a great line up with one standout shitty song.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It started well, his voice might be peculiar but guy can sing... then the chorus came and the snorefest started. There's a real dichotomy between the verses which still have some sense of charisma and this bland one-liner chorus.
A :3: sorry

An obvious Eurovision comparison point would be The MakeMakes and we know what happened there. I'd argue also that I Am Yours was a stronger song.

Nice comparison indeed, and I can only agree with you, Austria 2015 (#robbed) had a real hook. It was more generic in general, hence more accessible.

Top Bottom