Love is…
Love is…
Love is…

Love is on my side
Maybe not tonight​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
Yeah, because his entry sounded like it could have entered Eurovision in the 1950's so right down the juries' ally... had nothing to do with the language, rather that it was completely outdated (they love dated and English, sometimes they can't have both and dated comes first in their book).
And so did the televoters incl. myself, including the Swedish public who is conditioned for Schlager and generic pop.

A-lister

Veteran
Standing proudly behind your country sounds so virtuous, but then always Ireland and UK win.

Yes, they did back when juries had 100% say, thankfully we have televotes now and more countries competing balancing it up.

Ezio

Veteran
I wouldn't say that some sentence or a couple of words in non-English is a good measurement, all in all this looks like it could become one of the most Anglified ESC ever.
If France wins, which is possible, than 3 of the last 5 winners are non English.

A-lister

Veteran
And so did the televoters incl. myself, including the Swedish public who is conditioned for Schlager and generic pop.
I'd really say that win was more an exception than anything, it's not the type of entry the public normally would support let's be honest.

A-lister

Veteran
If France wins, which is possible, than 3 of the last 5 winners are non English.

Well, I think for many countries (broadcasters) it's not just about potentially winning but for some ending up on the left side, let alone the top. 10, is a victory in itself, so I think we need to look it from a bit of wider perspective. But I do get your point, but I think it's a bit simplified.

Lonter

Excellent choice Portugal!

I'd have rather have the fantastic Sara Afonso or Joana Alegre, but out of the finalists this was the next best thing. Really glad it wasn't Neev (which felt like what would Blas Canto's take on Spain 2017 be) or Deslandes (which was meh).

This feels authentic, has a great sound and a very characteristic voice and thankfully they are in a VERY weak semi filled with few sure qualifiers. They should, at the very least, have a chance.

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Loindici

Veteran
I'd really say that win was more an exception than anything, it's not the type of entry the public normally would support let's be honest.
I'll agree it was more of a one-off, but Soldi also went 4th with juries, Mall went 7th, Mercy went 8th, Occidentali's Karma 7th, but that's it. Non-English entries tend to be harder on getting those votes from the juries, but doesn't mean there's no hope.

DanielLuis

By the way, tonight Festival da Canção received the biggest amount of televotes ever in the history of the contest. That makes the Black Mamba's second place and Carolina's "flop" at 3rd even more shocking to me

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Lovely
Nadine - "Cheguei Aqui"
The Black Mamba - "Love Is On My Side"
NEEV - "Dancing In The Stars"

Charming
Sara Afonso - "Contramão"
Karetus & Romeu Bairos - "Saudade"
Eu.Clides - "Volte-Face"

Fine, I guess
Fábia Maia - "Dia Lindo"
Valéria - "Na Mais Profunda Saudade"
Carolina Deslandes - "Por Um Triz"
Miguel Marôco - "Girassol"
Mema - "Claro Como Água"
Joana Alegre - "Joana Do Mar"
Pedro Gonçalves - "Não Vou Ficar"
Tainá - "Jasmim"
Ana Tereza - "Com Um Abraço"

Meh
IAN - "Mundo"
Irma - "Livros"
Da Chick - "I Got Music"
Graciela - "A Vida Sem Acontecer"
Ariana - "Mundo Melhor"

What, FdC actually choosing a song I like for once???? In a sea of boring ballads and complete beigeness, this actually won. In Portugal. Wow. After watching the live performances, I would've preferred NEEV, but I take what I can get lol.

I don't care about the language the entries are in general and Portugal can sing in English for once, it's not the end of the world, they'll surely go back to elevator ballad music in Portuguese next year (like their 2020 entry), this is just a happy accident.

It's a very soulful composition and I can't help but enjoy it a lot. xangel :8: for now

Mrm

Veteran
Yeah, because his entry sounded like it could have entered Eurovision in the 1950's so right down the juries' ally... had nothing to do with the language, rather that it was completely outdated (they love dated and English, sometimes they can't have both and dated comes first in their book).
Just stop being rude and obnoxious now.. :mad: :(
Salvador's entry is smth extraordinary..it won televoting by a landslide too..
It dosnt have to do anythng with "jury liking only dated" or smth like that..
You really got too far now.. :( xcry
I understand for some entries to say so, but for Salavdor Sobral..I'm speechless.. :confused:

Alevender

Super Moderator
Staff member
:6: points for 🇵🇹 Portugal. It is not a bad song but I do not feel crazy about it, I really like the performance though, just like I mentioned before. There is definitely something great about it. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea but I do not think it is completely chanceless, especially in something that semi 2 is.
It was not my favorite line-up this year but I want to say 🇵🇹 Portugal a big thank you for having Filomena and all these amazing interval acts celebrating your music - Filipe Sambado, Ana Moura, Cláudia Pascoal and Clã were awesome. (y)

A-lister

Veteran
I'll agree it was more of a one-off, but Soldi also went 4th with juries, Mall went 7th, Mercy went 8th, Occidentali's Karma 7th, but that's it. Non-English entries tend to be harder on getting those votes from the juries, but doesn't mean there's no hope.

There are some exceptions sure, but the overall support given to English language generally discourages countries (broadcasters) to go with native language entries but we still had some countries that stood by their languages (Portugal being one of them in most cases), but even they start to give up now and it's sad to see.

A-lister

Veteran
Just stop being rude and obnoxious now.. :mad: :(
Salvador's entry is smth extraordinary..it won televoting by a landslide too..
It dosnt have to do anythng with "jury liking only dated" or smth like that..
You really got too far now.. :( xcry
I understand for some entries to say so, but for Salavdor Sobral..I'm speechless.. :confused:

Ehm? Having my own opinion/taste isn't being "rude and obnoxious", you should check the meanings of those words...

• Undo my Sad
Reactions: Mrm

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Well the very bizarre looking and sounding Black Mamba has just won so you were onto something!
That is an extremely charitable way of viewing the fact that I was flat wrong, thank you :lol:

Loindici

Veteran
I wouldn't say that some sentence or a couple of words in non-English is a good measurement, all in all this looks like it could become one of the most Anglified ESC ever.

Yes, it could be one of the most Anglified, but what is even 'most Anglified' in a modern Eurovision context? It has been Anglified since the language rule has been abolished, and looking back briefly, that's even before juries were introduced. The reality is most of these countries just prefer English to compete in modern Eurovision, it has become sort of a normality.

A-lister

Veteran
Yes, it could be one of the most Anglified, but what is even 'most Anglified' in a modern Eurovision context? It has been Anglified since the language rule has been abolished, and looking back briefly, that's even before juries were introduced. The reality is most of these countries just prefer English to compete in modern Eurovision, it has become sort of a normality.
Well, it became worse for sure... and with the juries one could think that maybe they would try to push for diversity, but rather the contrary happened.

I mean I say "one could think" because looking at past years' ESC when there were only juries (but a language rule as well), countries like Ireland and UK did unproportionally better.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
"The juries" are whatever I don't like, and the more I don't like it, the more "the juries"er it is.

Anthony Tesla

Hmm... I'm... divided.

It's kinda sad to see Portugal going English, but it's not a tragedy, and in the end, the song is what matters, so I will live if this is in English, Portuguese or Mayan.

The song itself, is... good-ish? Gotta admit the strong points first: the voice of the singer is AMAZING. Like, it's very particular, and he performs very good. And while ballads can be tiring if you don't connect with them, I'm actually sort of surprised that this song seems to feel shorter than it is: I kinda feel it will drag and drag and then I'm like "wait, it's over?"

So I can't say it's boring in anyway: it's sort of basic on structure, but very economic in the sense it takes advantage of all its lenght.

I'm giving it a 6, sort of a middle of the road, but not in the "mediocre" sense, it's more in the "this could go either way" sense: I don't quite love it, but I can't say I hate it either, and this song would probably at the very least occupy more free rent on my head for a while, so that's something.

Loindici

Veteran
Well, it became worse for sure... and with the juries one could think that maybe they would try to push for diversity, but rather the contrary happened.

No, it's not even the fault of the juries.

If we're compiling the number of songs in English/partially in English in the televote days, starting from when the language rules have been abolished:
1999 - 14/23 = 61% (winning in English)
2000 - 17/24 = 71% (winning in English)
2001 - 20/23 = 87% (winning in English)
2002 - 19/24 = 79% (winning in English)
2003 - 19/26 = 72% (winning in English)
2004 - 27/36 = 75% (winning in English + Ukrainian)
2005 - 28/39 = 72% (winning in English)
2006 - 29/37 = 78% (winning in English)
2007 - 33/42 = 79% (winning in Serbian)
2008 - 29/43 = 67% (winning in English)

Technically, they're still high, we never have a year below 50%. It might feel more diverse since some of these entries are partially in their national language, which of course if we exclude them, the number of purely English-languaged entries might be lower. xthink

Top Bottom