GlbHx5y.png

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV72 - John Cale - Hallelujah

p02cl7dg.jpg

2nd in the Final with 214 points
3rd in Semi 2 with 74 points / REJU 5th with 68 points

So you didn't allow me to enjoy my best result to date with Nicole Atkins for long:rolleyes: Instead you handed over that title to Mr. John Cale of The Velvet Underground famexheat

ShoeFlo last night said I was cursed, and maybe I am, but I think it's a pretty darn wonderful curse to have. I may not win anything but to get these results with these kinds of artists and songs is something very special, and it's actually incredibly touching. From being absolutely frightened (still am) sending my favourite artists that are very dear to me, to then being gifted results like these. I feel like i've had my "Suus" moment six or seven times already when playing this game. I'm obsessed with all things The Velvet Underground, and Cale's not only my favourite Undergrounder but one of my very top all time favourite artists. I'm so thrilled that this many appreciated his rendition of the Leonard Cohen classic. Second and just a single point behind the winner. There's not many ways to top that, except.. well, you know... winningxheat

It's not the last you'll see of John Cale and hopefully next time I can send him with a bit more confidence. I said to myself when I picked out "Hallelujah" that I owed it to John to later on share one of his own pieces. He has songs he's written just as beautiful as this cover. Many piano ballads and gorgeous swirling baroque rock tracks. He was the most experimental member of the Velvet Underground as well so in his discography you'll find a lot of warped, freaky and twisted stuff too. I'm kind of hungry now to give you all a John Cale NF. One day in the near future perhaps.

Big thank you and a lot of love to the people belowxheart You brought me much joy.

:12: :jp::sobr::en::svea:::saus:lond: Windhoek (sorry, couldn't find flag)
:10: :by:
:8: :ca:::blgr:ph::pt::lv:
:7: ::subc:susa:::nb:is:
:6: :neus::za:gr
:5: :sc::uk:::emro:lt::nl:
:4: :pr:
:3: xwhistle
:2: ::atti:it:::sthm::rw
:1: :de::co::nz:

Next edition (if I don't change my mind) prepare for something............ hmmm..... perhaps a little different from me. I hope you all enjoy my breakdown.

0009064021_37.jpg

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV72 - John Cale - Hallelujah / WV73 - ???? ?????

^ tbh i really think this is adeladel, he seems the sort to browse b. huge fan btw.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

As Pacific States is the region I feel most at home with, i'm going to try and cement my backside down for at least 5 entries here (once again) before moving on.

WV73 - My most "did he just send that?" entry to date.
WV74 - Hip NF featuring a single artist i've grown obsessed with recently. If you enjoyed Doomtree then chances are you might appreciate my next foray into hip hoppery.

- Garage Rock NF. California is the best place in the world for jangly, surfy garage pop and rock, with a still bustling underground scene. I've given you only Mikal, La Sera and Ariel so far, and I think it may be time to delve a bit deeper. I could simply turn this into a Burger Records vs Lolipop Records NF.

- Outsider Music NF. This one I really wish I had the whole of the USA to play with for, as we'll be missing out on artists like The Shaggs, Jan Terri and Jandek, but i'd really love to introduce WorldVision to the strange and charming world of outsider music. Expect Space Lady to try again, and the return of Ariel Pink, except this time with something super lo-fi, and Daniel Johnston to name a few.

- Super Dooper NFs are always the most fun, so I can round up maybe 8 or 9 songs from about the gazillion I want to share.

- Elliott Smith part 2 NF. Unfinished business here. My heart is aching to send Elliott Smith again and try for some justice. Fun fact is that I could have sent Elliott from ANY of my WorldVision destinations so far.

- Linda Perhacs (release the new album already, darn itxheat)

- Weyes Blood comeback (yup, she's living in LA now)

- Xiu Xiu or Joanna Newsom (two popular requests)

- My first chart pop entry, likely a childhood diva fave.

- A hot hit from someone who once went to Eurovision.

- Some RnB

- John Cale NF. As I explained a bit above, I promised myself after deciding on "Hallelujah" that i'd have to send John a second time with one of his own compositions. I may make this my last Pacific States entry from this visit. After that ridiculously wonderful result, i'm now eager to show you more of John's music.

The problem is choosing which ones and in what order....

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

When you open your monthly music magazine and is Mikal.

zIEdGyu.png

And the Pacific States artist AND genre clues for their WorldVision 73 entry intensify.

giphy.gif

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

iWBQHRJ.gif

It's fun to sometimes go with something different. This edition the Pacific States of America would like to introduce you to That Poppy and her song "Lowlife". Poppy has been making music with Titanic Sinclair since 2014. In the year 2016 Poppy released her new EP "Bubblebath". On it contains the song "Lowlife" which I will be sending to this edition of the prestigious online contest known as WorldVision. I hope you enjoy "Lowlife". If you would like to learn more about Poppy then please continue reading below.

Name: Poppy

Currently inhabits: The United States of America

Likes: The internet, winter, Japan, politics, space, spinning, Mr. Clean, her fans, hoola hooping, painting, art, words, magic, gravity, youtube.com

Favourite Food: Donuts covered in fruit loops, doritos

giphy.gif

Favourite Drink: Monster Energy Drink

Favourite Musical Genre: The sound it makes when something wet hits something metallic and ambient music

Inspired most by: Candy, empty paper bags, petrichor

Inventions: Tap dancing

0k8dq1N.gif

"I don't know why everyone wants to be someone else. Everyone should just be happy with themselves, just the way they are."

"When I'm President, I'm gonna tell all the bad guys to go away."

Here's Poppy's song "Lowlife". PopularTV said of her music: "Paralleling Gwen Stefani in the No Doubt era, That Poppy mixes punk with ska-pop and makes you want to get up and dance". Sputnikmusic on "Lowlife" noted it's "slow chugging, reggae-fused guitar line and a mixture of low churning bass synths that carry an infectious hook with the passing of each horn". Popular WorldVision player Stargazer said "It's not horrible at least" when once hearing That Poppy's song "Lowlife" at Feimir Room.

What Pacific States juror thinks of "Lowlife" - The perfectly formed little pop song. "Lowlife" a cool slice of popsicle. It takes me back to my days as a teenager, spamming No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" which I saved up my pocket money to purchase in a cd shop in Watford. The song has a bite to it and fierceness that's the polar opposite of the persona Poppy portrays on her youtube channel. I don't just like it, I love it!

WHDGFEs.png

Old suitcase, clean getaway
I'm the one who takes the blame again
New day but the same lines
I feel like a victim of the dollar sign

All these years on my own
Fight my fight all alone
'Til you came, don't you know
Don't you know

Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife
Take a shitty day and make it alright (Yeah, alright)
Oh, in every circumstance
Yeah you make the difference
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife (lowlife)

This bad taste, these headaches
Wake up on the floor again, ah, yeah
My torn dress, this failed test
Soon they will be erased

All these years on my own
Fight my fight all alone
'Til you came, don't you know
Don't you know

Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife
Yeah, you make the difference

And I get so lonely
I can't make it on my own
And I need to call ya
"Can you come to my chateau?"
Take me in your arms and
Hold me tight, yeah, pull me close
Whisper in my ear
All I want you to say is

Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife (lowlife, lowlife)
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife (lowlife, lowlife)

giphy.gif

Live renditions of "Lowlife"

This is my first pop entry since "Chic C'est La Vie". If I send a song to this game it's gotta be something I love and something that's in my heart. It's taken me all this time but I finally am delighted to share some more pop with you all. I hope you enjoy That Poppy. Bye x

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV73 - That Poppy - Lowlife

What a marvelously catchy entry. In celebration of That Poppy, here is the first installment in the new :paci: greenroom feature, That Puppy.

otterhound4.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] oh my gosh, a doge. I like doges.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

OH MY GOSH.Poppy.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

gif2.gif

3rd in the Final with 173 points
8th in Semi 3 with 63 points / Reju 3rd with 73 points

Poppy 3rd, oh my goodness!!! I don't know how she managed it. I'm sitting here a bit confused, just like round 2 with Nicole, as things didn't go in the direction I was exactly anticipating. I guessed wrong with who I thought "Lowlife" would appeal to, but some great surprises there and i'm over the moon with another podium finish. I had an awesome time competing with Poppy. I was actually getting nervous during the semi results as I genuinely really care for her. I thought i'd be fairly care free this edition but gosh, it was the opposite:lol: It was great to receive support from all over the place. I'm thrilled so many of you enjoyed this infectious little slice of ska-pop. It won't be the last pop song from me for sure. It felt liberating sending Poppy. Lots of love to all the players below. Thank youxheart

:12: :fr::tw::en:
:10: :nz::susa::us::it:
:8: ::berl:tr:::saus
:7: :lt:
:6: ::neen:ua::sobr:::rwWindhoek
:5: ::ostl::blgr:za:gr::sthm
:4: :ru::co:::subc
:3: xwhistle
:2: :jp:
:1: ::wenlSouth East England

Well anyway, it's good night for now from That Poppy. Am feeling weirdly emotional. Come back soon Poppy.......

I'm unsure at this stage whether i'll be sticking to my original plans for next edition. I was supposed to be having a hip NF, and though HipFlo did make WorldVision hip again, i'm getting cold feet a little. The artist I want to send is releasing new music extremely soon as well, so I feel like waiting for it. I've got a four song NF ready to go though, and I don't want to waste it... hmmmm.

There's also two artists i'm considering for a return, one I flopped with previously. I could send some more pop even:rolleyes: Gosh I don't know. Lets see if I can manage 3 internal selections in a row. Would be a record for mexheat

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

You could send 5 or 6 flops, or just won.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

oBSjNu2.png

Pacific States head juror was today seen leaving a small studio located in the middle of Death Valley, Eastern California, accompanied by a mysterious man or women who's identity was masked by a cool pair of shades. Rumours are circulating that this could possibly be the Pacific States artist for the up and coming 74th edition of the prestigious song contest, WorldVision. Do stay tuned for more information.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV74 - Weyes Blood - Generation Why

x7awerH.png

Weyes Blood (Natalie Mering) is back again at WorldVision, this time representing her home region, Pacific States. "Generation Why" is the centerpiece taken from the psychedelic-folk artists new album, "Front Row Seat To Earth", that released at the end of last October. It's an absolutely spellbinding piece that floored me the first time I heard it. As we head deeper and deeper into a world where much of our communication is done through electronics, Natalie pens this hymn inspired by our digital lives today that is humorous yet achingly beautiful, and strangely touching. Without paying proper attention, you could assume this was a recently uncovered gem from some weird lost 70s psych album, but it's only when you pay close attention to the lyrics you realize this is very much of the moment. The haunting hums that start the song lead us into the bizarre chorus of "Y O L O why?". The song is a strange look at the time we spend in front of our screens today. Many melodic twists and turns later, we're eventually led to the songs emotional climax, followed by a swirling ethereal bath of heavenly sound that we're allowed to swim in for a minute or so before the song fades out.

The gorgeous video for "Generation Why" was directed by Mering herself, and features her fellow musician friends Michael Collins and Shags Chamberlain. I think it helps to get the message of the song across if you happened to miss it whilst just listening. Finding a computer with a heart, as after all, we do share our hearts digitally these days. It's strange how a song and it's message can be so sad, humorous, frightening and comforting all at the same time, but "Generation Why" manages it. I think it's an anthem for the times we live in. There's still a lot of warmth that can be transmitted digitally and it's a beautiful thing. I hope you enjoy the song.

giphy.gif

Going to see end of days
I've been hanging on my phone all day
And the fear goes away
I might not need to stay
On this sinking ship for long

I can give it away everyday
I can fly and spend all my seconds
Like they're my last
It's not the past that scares me
Now what a great future this is gonna be

Y-o-l-o, why?
Y-o-l-o, why?

Used to think it was bad
That we were all going mad
But now it's fine to leave
Goodbye those old things
Carry me through the waves of change

Carry me through the waves of change
I know my place
It's a beautiful thing

Y-o-l-o, why?
Y-o-l-o, why?
Y-o-l-o, why?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

In which direction do I give my personal thumb evaluation for this song, Harry Enten?

enten-hero.jpg

Thank you for the reminder, sir.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

In which direction do I give my personal thumb evaluation for this song, Harry Enten?

enten-hero.jpg

Thank you for the reminder, sir.

Well he appears to be indicating that it went for six, although that's the weirdest umpiring outfit I've ever seen...

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: Pacific States ☂ WV74 - Weyes Blood - Generation Why / Celebrating 25 Editions Of State Hopping (page 42)

tE2OJv6.gif

Hey, you're supposed to celebrate things in 25s, right? Well, this edition is perhaps a lil weeny smidgen of a special one for me as i've reached 25 WorldVision entries. Good gosh. Just where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday I was at the Plugdj Freedom Room with my forum friends, wondering what the heck this WorldVision thing was that everyone was constantly talking about. I was intrigued but all the places I wanted to go were taken, but then one night "RAINY THERE'S A SPOT AVAILABLE IN USA", and the rest was history.

I started off in the darkest and most emotional way possible, well you made me do it this way actually, as you voted Antony the winner of my first NF, with her devastatingly sad piano ballad, "Hope There's Someone". Ballads would become a theme for me. Perhaps the one that stands out the most being Judee Sill's "The Kiss", which was just mere scrap points away from winning WorldVision. It was this edition that meant the most to me as well. I'll never forget the reaction at the LL as the song started to play. The Velvet Undeground & Nico making the final was another biggie. Nico is my icon, and to think she only just scrapped through by a point... just gosh. I've been incredibly lucky so far, but i've had a few flops, all of which have been male rockers. You supported my gargeous garge king though, Mikal Croninxheart And you also supported La Sera. Actually, that edition with La Sera was one of the most enjoyable, along with sending Countess, That Poppy and Mikal's "Weight". Perhaps that's a hint there that I should send happier and upbeat songs more often.

Fun Stats:

giphy.gif

Anyway, thank you for putting up with me and my songs for 25 editions. WorldVision rocks! Cheersxheart

p.s. what is your fave Rainwod entry?

kopachka

Re: Pacific States ☂ WV74 - Weyes Blood - Generation Why / Celebrating 25 Editions Of State Hopping (page 42)

Congrats :D When it comes to diversity, I think you're one of my favorite WV players! I would love to see you going out of the USA one day and end in some "less WV popular" country, as I guess your entries would be quite cool wherever you go.

My favorites, in some kind of order:
The Kiss
Lowlife
Hallelujah
The Way It Is
In The Beginning
Piano Mantra

*insert a celebration gif here*

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Congrats :D When it comes to diversity, I think you're one of my favorite WV players! I would love to see you going out of the USA one day and end in some "less WV popular" country, as I guess your entries would be quite cool wherever you go.

My favorites, in some kind of order:
The Kiss
Lowlife
Hallelujah
The Way It Is
In The Beginning
Piano Mantra

*insert a celebration gif here*

Thank you Lukaxheart I'm actually happy to hear that, as I keep thinking my entries aren't diverse enough. At one point I thought I was becoming really predictable. I feel like I keep falling back on ballads. I'd love to one day try Japan. I did almost think of taking it a while back when it was free. Canada, Australia and (unsurprisingly) UK i'd also enjoy playing with. I'd like Austria for one artistxheat Maybe one day i'll move, I don't know. I have so much more to send from the States first though. There's too much I haven't tapped into yet of what I listen to.

DaFlo

Banned

My holy Rainwod trinity:

Kurt F-ing Vile • Doomtree • Kristin Kontrol

xbow xbow xbow

Keep slaying the WV and send more hip hits :>

Top Bottom