Contact us

NSC 189 in Ción, Lacrea - Confirmation thread (DDL 16th January 2021, 23:59 CET)

Lonter

latest

Hi, we still didn't bother to think of a theme and we are kind of editing and modifying the contents of my first reservation thread for the other time I hosted (4 years ago already, :O) out of sheer laziness, so I hope you can STILL be entertained by our good friends here, the immoral beast and Shadow Rise, while we actually think of hopefully something more elegant by the time the semis come up:D

tumblr_lyhg1fQhuh1qg26d1o1_400.gif

They are still a bit uncomfortable and honestly, I could update them with something new by this point, no? But that requires thinking AND effort, so good old gifs are fine for now.

Anyway, you should still know the deal NSC-kins! Please send me your entries by PM conversations (?), being sure to include the following info (feel free to copy the form):

Nation:
Artist:
Song:
Link:

And, optionally:

Recap section (20 secs):

Oh yeah, I'm currently living in Argentina so really, while the deadline SAYS 16th January 2021, 23:59 CET, the real deadline (and that one will be strict, unless something significant happens) is 16th January, 23:59 Argie Time, so really, you have four extra hours. But I'm aware that putting the deadline at 17th January 2021 03:59 CET would lead to total disaster, so yeah, let's just go with this for now.

Confirmed nations

Aclaira
Adamsburg
Arirang
Balearica Island
Bigicia

Cherniya
Cydoni-Gibberia
Doire
Emsfrynt
Halito

Hypjø
Jemmuise
Kalos Metropolis
Kamandé
Kimmystan

Kordavian Islands
Luzinia
MatiMati
Moisantia
Noizeland

Nurdia
Orangualia
Oussou Empire
Perryfornia
Redwood Republic

Roseland
Rumia
Sakuralia
Solentoya
Sundfør

Szimbaya Kingdom
Tamausia & Deltannor
Tanoiro
Trollheimr
Tuzi

Ugaly
Ujendinjeni Gvozd
Yaponesia

Updated: 16/01/2021 13:08 Argie time

Last edited:

Lonter

Feel free to add which videogame gifs I should have added to update good old Inmoral Beast and Shadow Rise. I mean, they are still pretty effective, but I'm sure there must be new stuff by now xD

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
omg shadow rise xbow perfect gif to bop to her dungeon theme

you can use the lewd skins of some muse dash characters maybe? at least the game is from 2018
b884688e1765fbb689f4e8c1744b6a2c0cc020b9.gifv

or the superior non-lewd queen Buro skins instead xheat

tumblr_patysuHwfD1t0lt8go3_400.gifv

Schlagerman1

If you are curious about the 94th entry from Adamsburg, and is ready to go for a ride? xbike Well you can find it HERE!

Lonter

So I only seem to be missing (including the nations that we know are not participating)

Aimulli, Begonia, Il-Bidu, Kadis, Lacrea (oops!), QuiénDQ, Riya-Sampetrina and Serenes.

Did I fail to confirm anyone?

Lonter

So, a small issue arose.

A member is trying to send this but at the same time is not sure if it's eligible or not due to cover-sample shenanigans

with this

(extra link in case it's blocked)

That has been sent over 50 editions ago etc etc.

I have mixed feelings about it and the people I've asked so far are kind of in the same page of not being completely sure if this is structurally different enough or not. There IS a viable, valid alternative already provided, so that wouldn't be an issue.

So anyway, what do you think, would this be a valid entry or not?

Fearnavigatr

I say allow. While the sampling is blatant, it's still only partially used in Ava Max's song, which otherwise uses an original melody in about half of the total length of the song and therefore can reasonably be considered its own experience.

doctormalisimo

The Ava Max song is 56.7% sample and 43.3% original - would that count as significantly different? I'd say no, but I don't understand the rule at all, so probably is.

e: fwiw I have no strong opinion on this, it's too grey so you could look to give benefit of the doubt to the sender.

Last edited:

Schlagerman1

I knew straight away on the first listen what song it was, since it is such a classic song (and NSC-entry to be fair). In my opinion it is a bit too similar, but that is my personal opinion.

I have had problems with the newly formed rule. I still not 100% sure what is okay or not, even if I have seen it get explained a few times on the forum and in chats. My worry is that it makes it so difficult for the host to make a firm decisions. Sure, most of us here are adults and can accept whatever the host decides, but we all know that even the slighest misjudgement can make people upset and angry, making unnecessary fights or make groupings in the contest against each other. And to avoid that, keep the good spirit on the forum, I do see this rule as troublesome.

Many people wait and send their songs in the very last day of the deadline. That is totally acceptable, but I can totally see this troublesome for the host, since they have to listen through all the songs and if there is some kind of worry of one being too similar, then it takes time and probably some of the joy of them. Sure, it is no hurry to put up the semis on the forum, but it is still makes the job harder for an already challenged host.

I am not sure what to do to make the rule clearer. Maybe a change of the wording would make it easier, but where is the line drawn? How much of the song needs to be similar for it to become too much? And how does a host decide that? Noone wants to be the "evil host" and turn down songs just because themself thinks it is too similar or maybe turns it down to make it simplier for themselves.

And we can't have a "general public poll" everytime a song shows up, that just takes even more time. Maybe we need some kind of council, a group of people which helps the host with deciding the matters like this in a quickly fashion, like in less than 24 hours at least. Maybe it is the mods that can do it, but from what I know (and remember, I was a mod back in the early 2010s for a short period), it is already a lot of things to keep in track for them. Maybe a small group of 3-5 people, with at least one moderator involved though, could sit a number of editions and be there as an extra support for the host, in case of tough decisions like this one actually is IMO. That is just a suggestion, I just want that everyone that hosts want to feel the joy of hosting and not to worry about what is right and wrong.

theCONWEL

WorldVision & OM Mod
Staff member
I’d say it’s okay xup

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It's fine with me, about half of the song is still original anyway.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I guess it's fine, since "Around the World" itself is a cover of a Russian song and this is somewhat different. The rule is a bit subjective and leads to different interpretations so it's best we rely on in dubio pro reo.

I agree with @Schlagerman1 that the mods or someone else should judge these songs case by case and decide. In other contests on the forum, the mods are the ones collecting the entries so this goes much more smoothly.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Like @takeru said, we have always allowed sampling in songs, even before the new rule was introduced. This is some very heavy sampling, but I think it should be allowed. Half of the song is original, so I'm not sure it is really a cover/remix in the first place (and it doesn't claim to be a cover/remix).

As for the rule itself, I agree that it is somewhat open to interpretation, but it's not really possible to quantify how similar one song is to another, so I think we just have to accept that. The only truly concrete options are:

(a) Decide not to allow any sampling whatsoever. But even that can become problematic, because then you need to figure out what constitutes a "sample".

(b) Allow everything.

Top Bottom