Contact us

NSC 189 in Ción, Lacrea - Confirmation thread (DDL 16th January 2021, 23:59 CET)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
For me it sounds a bit too much like the original. I would have recognized it immediately as a part cover/part sample, even if I wasn't told it was such, since I'm very familiar with the original.

But I also see that most people (so far) seem to be OK with it, so I say let majority rule.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
As for the rule itself, I agree that it is somewhat open to interpretation, but it's not really possible to quantify how similar one song is to another, so I think we just have to accept that. The only truly concrete options are:

(a) Decide not to allow any sampling whatsoever. But even that can become problematic, because then you need to figure out what constitutes a "sample".

(b) Allow everything.
on these options, not gonna lie i'm pro (b) because (a) would destroy half of my shortlist this far 🤡

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
b also tbh, no need to complicate it. This is just 1 case anyway.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
I should clarify that I'm in favour of keeping the rule as it is, by the way. So neither (a) nor (b). I think we've been doing a pretty good job at deciding as a community what should be allowed on a case-by-case basis.

But yeah if I had to choose between the two I would choose (b) too.

Lonter

My opinion changes all the time that I think about it because a song with more or less the same structure and similar-ish tempo that is over-half sample does feel... odd. But it's still a sample? But still, the song is over HALF sample, so it's weird.

Then again, samples aren't that much of an issue, covers are, so that's where the % comes into place, etc etc.

Ultimately, I can see it both ways and it's clear where the general concensus is at, so I'm allowing the song.

Anyway, besides the people taking a break (Riya, Begonia), we seem to be only missing Il-Bidu. I'm willing to accept the entry if he hurries for a good couple more hours while I work on recap segments and organizing, so let's say... 4 more hours from now.

Hopefully semis will be up by tomorrow, but realistically it might be on Monday. I'll be working on it ^_^

theditz83

Veteran
I expected this issue to crop up soon with this song tbh, but figured it might've been when the official video for the song came out. This definitely falls within the sample arena since structurally it has many different parts from Around The World and while the central hooks are the recognisable melodies from the ATC track, it is different enough to justify inclusion in the contest.

Actually, come to think if it, it's not actually a sample as such since Ava sings the melodic "lalalalala" hook herself rather than it being directly lifted from the ATC recording so this would be a partial cover?? Who knows xshrug

I'm sure just as the rule is subjective, people will have their own opinion on how they judge this song and whether the heavy sampling of ATC is a major issue for them. ;)

Last edited:

Ewigkeit

Veteran
Meanwhile, Ruki Vverh:
a0NPW2Z_460s.jpg

Top Bottom