25 11.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
Ulrikke is such a step back compared to "Attention", dated, boring, bland. Sounds like some Malta 2010. So honestly a bit shocked of common reaction and those "she will win in May" comments, am I missing something ( and it's not a great taste I'm missing thank you )?

You are not alone. I have absolutely no idea what is so special about "Honestly". For me it is not a question of being dated or not (as other songs are too), but it is simply boring to me. Not even the chorus can win me over. But I am mostly falling out of the stream, so ... ;)

Looren

Veteran
Ulrikke is such a step back compared to "Attention", dated, boring, bland. Sounds like some Malta 2010. So honestly a bit shocked of common reaction and those "she will win in May" comments, am I missing something ( and it's not a great taste I'm missing thank you )?

I really like Ulrikke's song but I agree with you that the comments saying she'll win in May are just wrong, tho I feel this is a safe qualifier and yeah possible top 10 in the final song

jatojo

I still haven't listened to a Norwegian 2023 entry that would make it into my Norway top 5 of last year ...

njdevils94

Veteran
I really like Ulrikke's song but I agree with you that the comments saying she'll win in May are just wrong, tho I feel this is a safe qualifier and yeah possible top 10 in the final song
Of course it won't win but she has a good chance of coming in the Top 10 with it. We know how good she is as a live performer she. I'm just glad she came back with a strong song as anything remotely competitive was likely going to win due to ESC not taking place in 2020.

Ajeje Brazorf

Ulrikke is a great performer, but her song doesn't leave anything to me... Don't know why. While I loved Attention, I didn't click with this one. Something is missing...

Ajeje Brazorf

You are not alone. I have absolutely no idea what is so special about "Honestly". For me it is not a question of being dated or not (as other songs are too), but it is simply boring to me. Not even the chorus can win me over. But I am mostly falling out of the stream, so ... ;)

Those who are saying she will win in May are "Slay Qween" lads who have eyes and ears only for Ulrikke and Elsie Bay just because they are returning artists, maybe? 😅😅😅 Every year the same story: I remember the reactions to Monument by KeIIno were the same... Nothing new or unseen...

HayashiM

Veteran
I have the same thoughts about "Honestly" as I had about "Attention" - I wish it had a bit less polish and a bit more substance. But I like it the best from the first semi.

Edit: stylewise, I'd say it's as if someone took a lot of "I am what I am" and tried to combine it with a pinch of "Die Together"

BorisBubbles

Veteran

The composition is all over the place. It's like... part stripped-down power ballad, part Melfest Schlager ballad, plus some random Let-It-Go-like belting in Norwegian. I think calling it boring and dated is incorrect. It is, as RainyWoods would call it an "Identity Crisis Song". The lack of commitment towards any of its many subgenres makes it difficult to connect to.

Now, I like it for those reasons, but the general takeaway is that "Honestly" is a very strange song musically. It'll have to come together live, and I think it can be done. Ulrikke is great live, after all.

I will say though the base narrative of "Honestly" is a very charming one. It's a mental health anthem and I have a soft spot for those - Ulrikke is reaching out to her lover who is suffering from mental health issues, trying to maintain a front of strength while inside she's dead scared of what the future might hold. The emotional story IS there, the song is just........ not that successful at evoking these emotions. At least not in studio.

Hopefully the stage performance on Saturday enlivens it. The potential for a good result is there. The potential for a bottom five result in the finale is also there.

DirtyFalcon

Honestly reminds me a bit of Sanna Nielsen - Undo in a weaker version. I could definitly see Ulrikke being a big contender for MGP but i think there's still something big missing to be an ESC winner. However, a left hand side of the scoreboard result or lower top 10 can be achievable. Attention still grabbed a lot more when i've listened to the song for the first time. A strong entry from Ulrikke still

And speaking about Alessandra song, i'm slightly underwhelmed by the full version. The chorus is still insanely good but i feel like the verses are not as great. I'm not sure she can win MGP now but surely a great televote score.

Realest

Ulrikke delivered as expected.
Still wondering how 'Attention' would have done.

Looren

Veteran
There we go :

1. Alessandra Mele - Queen Of Kings : Winner winner, absolutely love this, it's epic !
2. Ulrikke - Honestly : I liked Attention more but this is definitely GREAT !

3. JOWST & Byron Williams Jr. - Freaky For The Weekend : Lmao I actually think this is good, just like shut your brain down, dance and enjoy the moment
4. Kate Gulbrandsen - Tarer I Paradis : Some lil cheese for me, really like her voice, good song

5. Erik Naess - Wave : Nice song, nothing special tho

6. Unami Tsunami - Geronimo : Absolutely horrendous
7. Rasmus Thall - Tresko : Same than Geronimo...

mauve

Veteran
The composition is all over the place. It's like... part stripped-down power ballad, part Melfest Schlager ballad, plus some random Let-It-Go-like belting in Norwegian. I think calling it boring and dated is incorrect. It is, as RainyWoods would call it an "Identity Crisis Song". The lack of commitment towards any of its many subgenres makes it difficult to connect to.

Now, I like it for those reasons, but the general takeaway is that "Honestly" is a very strange song musically. It'll have to come together live, and I think it can be done. Ulrikke is great live, after all.

I will say though the base narrative of "Honestly" is a very charming one. It's a mental health anthem and I have a soft spot for those - Ulrikke is reaching out to her lover who is suffering from mental health issues, trying to maintain a front of strength while inside she's dead scared of what the future might hold. The emotional story IS there, the song is just........ not that successful at evoking these emotions. At least not in studio.

Hopefully the stage performance on Saturday enlivens it. The potential for a good result is there. The potential for a bottom five result in the finale is also there.
That is even more a problem when the song is about mental health and it doesn't touch me at all. For me the song sounds a bit artificial, a bit forced (in my eyes). And maybe "boring" is not the right choice of word, but "Honestly" is a ballad that I have heard so often before. And to me it sounds generic. It can change with the performance. I will wait and see.

EscGeek

Veteran
"Queen of Kings" - Fantastic, I love this. xyes

"Honestly" is a good example of Norway being able to deliver formulaic songs better than most countries :ROFLMAO:
It's not special enough for my top 10, but i really like it and i'd be satisfied if it ends up being selected.

"Tresko" - it sounded better as a snippet imo, but it's my 3rd pick for the final show.

SAYAY

Based on the studio version of the songs, here is a Norwegians ranking of the songs in the first semi final

1. Alessandra Mele - Queen of Kings
2. Kate Gulbrandsen - Tårer i Paradis
3/4. Rasmus Thall - Tresko
3/4. Umami - Geronimo

(I couldn't decide which to put 3 or 4th between these two)

5. Ulrikke - Honestly
6. Eirik Næss - Waves

7. JOWST & Byron Williams - Freaky for the Weekend (I don't ever want to get Freaky for the Weekend again after listening to this one)

jatojo

Honestly reminds me a bit of Sanna Nielsen - Undo in a weaker version. I could definitly see Ulrikke being a big contender for MGP but i think there's still something big missing to be an ESC winner. However, a left hand side of the scoreboard result or lower top 10 can be achievable. Attention still grabbed a lot more when i've listened to the song for the first time. A strong entry from Ulrikke still

Undo was a real ballad. Honestly is a mixture of ... everything. Not my favourite entry.

jatojo

Still wondering how 'Attention' would have done.

8th - is my guess (and that's where the bookies thought it would be placed, approximately). It is 1st on my personal list, though, with 'Fai rumore' up there as well.

martin

Like Ulrike and Kate most. Both are good songs. Also Næss and Umami is good.
Alessandra is a typical fanwalk. We have heard so many songs like that before in NF and mostly it flops. Don,t think she will qualify on saturday.

The last two is close to AWFUL. Tresko is a average melody, but the text is not working at all for me. Jowst and Byron don,t work at all for me like a team. Byron should have sing a soulsongs and JOWST had so many better songs before. For me this hear like a bad demosong.

FabiESC

01 Alessandra – Queen of Kings 10/10
02 Ulrikke – Honestly 8/10
03 Umami Tsunami – Geronimo 8/10
04 JOWST & Byron Williams Jr – Freaky for the Weekend 7/10
05 Rasmus Thall – Tresko 6/10
06 Kate Gulbrandsen – Tårer I Paradis 6/10
07 Eirik Næss – Wave 5/10

Wow Norway delivers a Hit with Queen of Kings, love that, i'm now more excited about next 2 Semis. Ulrikke's Song isn't that strong then Attention, but i love her voice and it's a good song. Umami Tsunami reminds of the good 00's Pop years, i like this lot. About JOWST i can say i like this more then Grab the Moment, which was in my eyes absoultely boring, maybe this time this song can grow. MGP was so strong the last years, i really looking forward the next two semis, i think in the end it could be again a strong MGP.

HarryUK

Veteran
I've honestly had Ulrikke's discography on repeat
Think I have a new obsession ladies and gents!

Top Bottom