Contact us

New voting system - removal of juries from the semi - global vote

Mainshow

Veteran
I am against ROW random results. Imagine if their score decided the winner...

It´s not worse than aggregated and fake televoting results from San Marino or aggregated and fake jury results from Poland, Romania, Azerbaijan, San Marino, Montenegro deciding the winner....

It will suck, for sure, but even without the ROW voting, we could have come up with an "undeserving" winner decided by chance (some stupid EBU "algorithm") - at least, we could be sure that there are "real people" voting as part of the ROW (many non-participating European countries as well).

Mainshow

Veteran

How will you ensure the Rest of the World vote is fair?​

Those wishing to vote from a country that is not participating in the Contest will only be able to do so via a secure online platform using a credit card from their country.
Our Voting Partner will ensure that only audiences from countries allowed to vote online, as stipulated by the Reference Group, the Contest’s governing board, will be able to cast a vote and be charged respectively.
The full list of eligible countries will be published near the time of the event.

Why are you also introducing an additional Rest of World vote?​

As a further step to strengthen the audience’s power in influencing the results of the Eurovision Song Contest, and in recognition of the global reach of the event, those watching the Eurovision Song Contest in non-participating countries will now be able to vote online.
Votes from countries not participating will be combined to create a set of points with the same weight as one participating country in both of the Semi-Finals and the Grand Final.
This will affect the 50/50 percentage balance between Jury points and public points marginally, giving the general public slightly more impact on the final result - approximately 50.6%.

Have you guys seen this before?

We will be having 39 jury votes and 40 televoting votes in the GF - that´s another great addition: The public have a tiny "but bigger" impact on the results ... It also confirms that there will be NO "Rest of the World/non-participating countries" jury.

Also, the EBU and their partners will come up with a list of "eligible" countries from which you are allowed to be voting from.

Imagine all the drama if Brazil won´t be making the cut Oo

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
SPILL

My favorite decade plus my favorite sequence of winners? I mean from Sertab to Marija is pretty much xheat xheat xheat

2005 to 2009? xheat xheat xheat

Also 2005 just being back to back hits and that ballad Malta sent. xheat What a decade. xfaint Eurovision could never in the 20s.

Smart move I'm really happy about.

It is completely irrelevant and impossible to determine who has thus far pushed forward to the GF "better" or "more quality" entries - the juries or the public.

This is about the process.

Between corrupt juries and those 3 jurors of each jury who are actually NOT qualified musicians to assess one's composition quality and vocals, but journalists, stylists, make up artist, IG influencers, TV or radio hosts etc., at least public vote is honest and authentic.

We may guess and we will never know to what extent "organized voting" adds up to someone's final result, nevertheless these past years have shown that in general winners such as Maneskin or Duncan or Kalush have been an expression of general public taste or authentic will of the public whom they want to see win.

That's enough.

Also happy about third countries voting, Rosa Linn is a good example how a good entry can go unrewarded within the European "bubble" and after that explodes as one of the most streamed songs of 2022 globally.

However I don't believe that "the rest" will actually vote. People outside EU hardly know of Eurovision and even if they'll watch it at lunch time (noon - mind the time difference) they would hardly vote for any entry in reality.

Also I don't think that the public could damage quality songs not to qaulify, it is rather possible that it would damage entries with smaller budget (smaller broadcasters). The crucial thing will be promotion and advertising to reach greater audience much earlier before the semis.

Those who spend more and promote more will get better results.

Those who choose artists competent to represent the entry in the media and elsewhere catching attention [see France 2022 for the opposite 😁] will also perform better off.

And if Moldova 2022 ended up 2nd in the televote, I can survive the rest. 😄

A-lister

Veteran
I was thinking about one thing, if EBU is serious about wanting more global attention (hence the ROW vote), then maybe lifting the stupid geo-block they have in for instance USA is a first step? How are they thinking people will vote if they can't even see the show?

It will just attract people in Europe behind VPN walls and fake credentials voting for their favs or diaspora voting :lol:

Last edited:

ESC94

Have you guys seen this before?

We will be having 39 jury votes and 40 televoting votes in the GF - that´s another great addition: The public have a tiny "but bigger" impact on the results ... It also confirms that there will be NO "Rest of the World/non-participating countries" jury.

Also, the EBU and their partners will come up with a list of "eligible" countries from which you are allowed to be voting from.

Imagine all the drama if Brazil won´t be making the cut Oo

How do we get 39 jury votes if only 37 countries are competing?? :unsure:

12Pointsgoto.....

I think that this isn't a good decision. The juries were brought back for a reason and it has worked, which is to bring quality back to the contest. Since the introduction of 100% televote in the late nineties, the quality of the songs have significantly dropped until when the juries were brought back in 2009. The winners were nevertheless great songs, but the overall quality was really bad and there was an overwhelming amount of joke entries every year. The juries have reinstated quality in the contest, and while there have been some (many) questionable results and votings, in the overall it had a great effect.

Mainshow

Veteran
How do we get 39 jury votes if only 37 countries are competing?? :unsure:
Kazakhstan will win JESC and will be added to the official list of participants and Montenegro will be back. They will find a sponsor from Qatar since thei entry is a "word cup song".

Mainshow

Veteran
Most of us don't even know Eurovision so there will be no draamaa on our end I believe :lol:
I'm talking about the gheys who always troll around...telling artis to "Come to Brazil".

Apart from very few European countries, I don't expect the general public to be aware of Eurovision and just dedicated and loyal fans to vote for it.

When I visited New Zealand, I got invited to watch the Grand Final in Christchurch. A couple of fans did some Eurovision brunch. I expect them to vote (even though the song contest will probably not even be broadcast on a NZ channel).

I perveive this vote as a gift to loyal, dedicated and loyal fans all around the world + countries who don't take part anymore.

That's also why I don't believe that diaspora will be the most significant effect regarding the Rest of the World vote.

Mainshow

Veteran
I really can´t understand why fans think it´s going to be a huge downfall for Eurovision - I mean, each chance will bring something new and it´s not always good or well-received, for sure....

But... let´s have a little faith when it comes to the televoters.
They haven´t made Silvia Night qualify in 2006.
They haven´t made Dustin The Turkey qualify in 2008.
They haven´t made Gipsy.cz qualify in 2009.

"Songs with a big "appeal to televoters" such as Russia 2012 or Norway 2022 - which had been mentioned as examples for this rule to be a bad move - would have easily qualified if it had been 100% jury voting in the semifinal anyway.

Eurovision has become more popular amongst the general public and even though we still have voting blocs and diaspora effects, countries such as Ukraine, Poland, Serbia, Armenia, Greece have all been voted out by the public before - whilst the juries prevented a country like Switzerland from qualifying 3 (!!!) times and saved Azerbaijan 3 (!!!) times.

Smaller countries & Western European countries still have the same chances to (not) qualify as before.
Granted, we will be losing a "quality entry" now and then but who cares? - It´s not like they would have made a big difference in the GF, anyway - and since only 1 qualifier per semi final would have been different in recent years - why are so many fans thinking of Eurovision´s quality to suddenly and immediately go downhill because there´s one or two "The Voice"-esque entries without ethnic entries and entirely performed in English less.
Since juries will still be part of the Grand Final, we should expect some countries to still try to appeal to them.
I have never heard any fans complaining about the "quality" of 2010, for example - That´s a year after 2009 in which we saw the same "procedure"/"voting system" as in 2023.

We might be seeing a few countries to universally and only appeal to televoters - but still, if they end up being in the bottom 5 in the GF or lower half, the entry will probably be forgotten soon. Songs still heavily rely on juries to perform well in the end.

And as already stated above, the taste in music of the televoters have changed a lot over the years.
What makes you guys believe that they will finally start voting for "fun, camp" entries only?

Even back in 2004, when the semi finals got introduced, a "quality entry" ballad (:cy:) finished inside the Top 5 (televoting) and easiliy qualified to the final whilst four former Ex-Soviet countries failed (:ua: was the only country to advance to the final and "Wild Dances" was winning material).

Denmark and Finland didn´t make it - despite the "Nordic voting bloc".
We saw The Netherlands reaching the Top 6 instead.

Clearly, there will be some sort of shift (more televoting-friendly/leaning) but in the last years, there hasn´t been huge differences at all.

Usually, televoters have also been more "up to date" and didn´t downvote genres or musical trends juries hadn´t been ready for (like Dubstep in 2013). Portugal 2019 was #12 in the televoting whilst being dead last in the jury vote.

I don´t think that I will be entirely wrong about this but let´s just have a little faith in the televoting.
The 00´s are long over and they haven´t really been "that bad" - The music landscape has changed a lot and Eurovision has evolved a lot.

FilipFromSweden

I honestly don't mind the removal of juries, means less whining from fans and less excuses they can use that their fav didn't make it. Also the fact that the juries tried to push one of the worst entries ever into the final: :ru: 2018

hijirio

Veteran
I honestly don't mind the removal of juries, means less whining from fans and less excuses they can use that their fav didn't make it. Also the fact that the juries tried to push one of the worst entries ever into the final: :ru: 2018

lol i just checked and it was actually televote that tried to push it into the final

but in the end, it didn't :D

heke1988

Is there have been any news/info, if there is going to be also the rest of the world jury?

Top Bottom