Contact us

New voting system - removal of juries from the semi - global vote

Mainshow

Veteran
I was driving back home when I noticed that the host of WDR2 (one of the three biggest and most popular radio channels in Germany) was talking about the new rules of the Eurovision Song Contest. He briefly explained them and highlighted how they will prevent juries from rigging the contest in the semi finals (he was even highlighting less bloc voting) ... before introducing "Snap" (which they continue playing several times per day).

Anyway, I just thought it was nice to share and it is REALLY REALLY RARE to even hear anything Eurovision-related in November on German radio stations.

ESC94

I was driving back home when I noticed that the host of WDR2 (one of the three biggest and most popular radio channels in Germany) was talking about the new rules of the Eurovision Song Contest. He briefly explained them and highlighted how they will prevent juries from rigging the contest in the semi finals (he was even highlighting less bloc voting) ... before introducing "Snap" (which they continue playing several times per day).

Anyway, I just thought it was nice to share and it is REALLY REALLY RARE to even hear anything Eurovision-related in November on German radio stations.

The biggest radio stations here in ::bava, Bayern 3 and Antenne Bayern still play it very often as well.

ESC94

I thought you don´t listen to radio?? :unsure:

ESC94

I don´t listen to radio on purpose/voluntarily ;)

My dad was in the car as well and he plugged out my memory stick (I was listening to Symphonic/Folk/Power Metal artists and I guess he couldn´t cope with it any longer xD)

Nothing against you, but I probably couldn´t listen to that all that long either. :lol:

GRE

With the new voting system, we could have had these Finalists in the past :( =>

maxresdefault.jpg

mauve

Veteran
I don´t listen to radio on purpose/voluntarily ;)

My dad was in the car as well and he plugged out my memory stick (I was listening to Symphonic/Folk/Power Metal artists and I guess he couldn´t cope with it any longer xD)
Same here! Hardly ever listen to radio - and I also listen to all kinds of Metal (Death Metal excluded though ;))

mauve

Veteran
I listen to radio and I´m not ashamed to say that. xshrug
You don't have to be ashamed of that ... it's just not my kind of music anymore. I listened to the radio 20 years ago, but it didn't change as I did as I want more diversity. So instead I take youtube or whatever and listen to the music I am in mood in (and that changes from day to day so ...). ;)

Ezio

Veteran
One less final for Austria under the new system. But Zoe was bailed out by televoters big time.

And I am still mad at Czechia 2015 failing due to juries.

HarryUK

Veteran
I was/am only mad at Norway 2011, Czechia 2015, Greece 2018 and Albania 2022 not qualifying out of the list of entries that would have qualified in previous years under this rule change tbh. The rest were deserved NQ

musicfan

The system seemed to be working quite well the last couple of years, enough interesting entries even if not all qualified for the final. The worry is it could encourage more cheap songs. The controversies over the jury results seemed to have an impact. But having decent entries should be more important than always having fair placings, the competition aspect is overrated anyway. You'll never get ideal qualifiers/placings, and juries will always have some chicanery.

I like the global vote as it encourages more of a stake in the contest from other audiences. It would be nice if after the contest they gave a continental breakdown of that vote.

Ezio

Veteran
In a perfect world juries would vote in the semis and televoters in the Final. but the world is corrupted

Mainshow

Veteran
But having decent entries should be more important than always having fair placings, the competition aspect is overrated anyway.

We are still getting the same amount of decent entries more or less.
In recent years, only ONE qualifier per semifinal would have been different.

simori95

In a perfect world juries would vote in the semis and televoters in the Final. but the world is corrupted
God no. I tend to be on the juries‘ side a liiiittle more than the viewers‘, so there are many instances I am thankful for having had juries in the semis, but giving them all the power would go much too far.

Ezio

Veteran
Oh, I actually loved Azerbaijan and Switzerland this year. I am happy they proceeded although in hindsight it must hurt to see yourself getting crushed in the tellyvote.

Juries could have also helped Austria find a footing in 2013. ORF wanted to bow out of Eurovision if it wasn't for Conchita's and her manager's ego and funds, that Austria did not leave after all.

Top Bottom