We are the birth of a new age

Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko mi
Yu no man broko, broko mi
Mi na afu sensi​

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
K, the official vid has dropped, so I heard it in studio now.

The studio is a lot better!!! It still goes NOWHERE after the halfway mark, but the first 1.5 mins are pretty okay.

Still though. It's one of those songs that puts message-before-melody and that's rly dumb. It's the Eurovision SONG contest. The SONG, and how you portray it during the live stage show, should take precedence. The live staging I saw yesterday was bland. The composition, I suppose, can be called nice. Too bad 'nice' isn't a personality trait. Anyone can be nice. Maybe the stage show in the AHOY Arena will be better, but you can only do so much with a composition this mind-numbingly average.

Then, the creole. Look, it's great they included it. It's rly nifty that they went for a Surinamese saying that is thematically appropriate for the current zeitgeist. It's very Jeangu! Problem is: it's ONE sentence of creole in a song composed entirely in English and if you listen to "Birth of a New Age" with English language ears, you well... hear that. If the song included MORE creole it wouldn't stand out so much. So while one may argue the creole's inclusion is bold, I counter by saying it's not nearly bold enough.

It's a typical example of Dutch Eurovision pedantry where they're trying to be SO moustache-twirlingly intellectual, and instead produced a cultural ref that will fly completely over the head of the casual audience. The audience who, mind, tune in to have a good time watching opera singers on pogo sticks or bald guys with strong guyliner nailing yoiks. It really just is Waylon's krumping/Duncan vintage piano all over. But I'm sure Cornald Maas will soon publish an irate tweet berating the fans for not getting these OBVIOUS culturo-historical references for a third contest in a row!!!!

:5: points are here to stay, babe.

ps: Suriname is in South America. Before you call this song 'afrovision' or 'the lion king' as a sneer, please bother opening up an atlas. Thank YEW.

Last edited:

Preuss

The studio was quite alright, it's pretty decent. It reminds me of "Waka Waka" a bit, though I have a hard time seeing this do well. "Grow" was much much better
5 points

ag89

I don't know how an average European who votes on the night will react on this because it doesn's sound quite accessible.This gives me interval act vibes, I have no idea how to explain. I like it, the studio version sounds better than live we saw yesterday (the opossite was for Grow, that one really took flight live).

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Heard the studio version.
As far as yeah, it's a bit better than the live one, i still find that sound kinda bland.

It's too bad since the beginning hooks me instantly but after, the song does nowhere, it just... stays where it's at.
The last chorus is terribly anti-climatic.

Sorry Jeangu, but definitely... no.

Brandt

This is one thousand times better than his entry from last year. Not the perfect song but I won't be bored watching him perform for sure.

One of top-average songs from this year.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Oh, I thought I posted it

Grow was a 6 last year because while I loved his voice and the general mood of the song, it led to nowhere. This one has less of this problem but I don't think I will give it more. I like his joy and the fact he put some of his heritage, he seems a nice guy. I can listen to it a few times, especially the pre-chorus at 1:50 which is my favorite part of the song, but overall it doesn't do anything much ?

Mainshow

Veteran
The studio version is slightly better. I have to update this. My problem with this is that i ageee with all of you. It simply goes nowehere.

This is such a non-competitive entry like Portugal 2018. Spain and Germany really have to mess up their performances to be ranked below this entry

rasmuslights

Veteran
ok studio version is actually so good and I love the video. way better than that mess of a live version. so it's a good entry for a host country, one of the better:)

Iker

Veteran
The studio version is slightly better. I have to update this. My problem with this is that i ageee with all of you. It simply goes nowehere.

This is such a non-competitive entry like Portugal 2018. Spain and Germany really have to mess up their performances to be ranked below this entry
I loved Portugal 2018 but I agree on theuncompetitiveness of both. Also it's a host entry which will not help either. I do expect last place for The Netherlands. I would be surprised if it escapes bottom 3. It will not be backed up by the juries either most likely.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
The "You are my broccoli" part is so fun :lol: but besides of that, it's a horrible song.

crashworld

Veteran

Germany seems to have this covered though when they decided to send the entry.

Ali_

The studio version is definitely better imo but that doesn't matter when it comes to the competition

gingerale

ps: Suriname is in South America. Before you call this song 'afrovision' or 'the lion king' as a sneer, please bother opening up an atlas. Thank YEW.

Thank you for educating me. I take full responsibility for that lion king reference.

But I don't think it's fair to pretend that me or someone else called the song "afrovision" because nobody did. Because I see how carefully and pointed you write your posts, it almost looks like there is an underlying intention by adding this term.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
There's a world outside of this forum, darling. Don't worry, you're not the only one being ignorant, and i won't hate you any more for it than I otherwise would. :whistle:

Loindici

Veteran
Should we be worried that Mr. Pancake will direct stagings of both 🇳🇱 and 🇧🇪 ?

VikingTiger

After 24 hours at work I was ready to listen to the new bunch of songs, hoping for some positive surproses.
I didnt care too much about Jeangu's entry last year. The gospel vibe just isnt my thing... But the man had a really soothing voice, and that kind of saved Grow for me.
Unfortunately this is a step down, and even his vocals never has the same effect on me through this year's song.

Etanna

I hoped for something more fun and upbeat but I guess they wanted to take the opportunity of being in the final and focus on promoting his culture&sending a message which is ok, too, since they're the hosting nation.

However, I agree with other comments that they need to change the performance. I would have loved to see more colours - the dim grey-blue killed all the energy and as a result Jeangu's excitement looked out of place. I think that if they add colours and maybe have Jeangu interact with the choir more it can be really nice.

Oh and the Surinamese one-liner is a pretty clever move - everyone seems to have noticed it and remembered it :D

Top Bottom