2 1.8%

9 7.9%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
The-Netherlands-scaled.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This from the very first listen becomes my favourite Dutch entry since I've been following the contest in the mid 00s. After the evening I've had it's hit me quite hard. Grow is a really honest song. Jeangu's voice is absolutely gorgeous and you feel every word. It builds wonderfully with that organ. Around the middle when those synths come in is the peak for me. The ending is the release that perhaps I need to learn to let go with, cause I'd with all honesty prefer to stay stuck swimming in that bittersweet swirl of sound that comes before the joyous gospel. That's a me problem though, not the fault of the song. The Netherlands have such a beautiful thing here. It really feels special. Bravo.

10 points from me.

crashworld

Veteran
As expected, typical host country entry. He got a great and soulful voice but the song never quite peak and doesn't seem to go anywhere. I am giving this a 5 for the effort and of course, one of the better quality ballads out there, but that doesn't necessary means I like it.

Mrm

Veteran
Everything is just beautiful and touching with this song. It stands on its own so well. xheart

The hosts can be proud of their entry!
I still see only 9 X 12 in the poll like before your comment.. IOTAPIOTAPIOTAPIOTAPIOTAP

:lol:

Mrm

Veteran
Because I had given it a 10, but it's been upgraded after a few more listens. ;)
Great! :love: you are the 10th to give 12..you bring luck..

And vote fro JimmyP on Saturday! :p

Kitakaze

Love the beautiful gospel and sincerity. Message so relatable too. Pity it seems to end abruptly just as it really gets going but that was probably the intention. This feels like what the BBC tried to do this year but the Netherlands eclipsed them with again. No doubt another likely contender for jury favourite but I fear the average viewer will overlook it.

ayzelto

Imo, in a year with lots of interesting song choices, this just gets lots for me. As opposed to what I have read, and without being super bad, this is easily one of the worst songs of the season. 4 points from me.

Mainshow

Veteran
I seriously don't know how to rank it. It's a quality song with some interesting lyrics and it is wholeheartedly very intimate. Duncan's song was also very intimate but more memorable, fragile and it had the "Let's sing it together in an arena" chorus.
"Grow" lacks a climax. Musically, it's not interesting enough to me. It sounds more like a closing track on a personal album than a competitive single or Eurovision entry. I admire the Netherlands for thinking out of the box again but the lack of almost any arrangement in the first 1:30 minutes as well as his very soft voice make it less enjoyable to me... I really tried to like this but for now, it's a :5: from me.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
I seriously don't know how to rank it. It's a quality song with some interesting lyrics and it is wholeheartedly very intimate. Duncan's song was also very intimate but more memorable, fragile and it had the "Let's sing it together in an arena" chorus.
"Grow" lacks a climax. Musically, it's not interesting enough to me. It sounds more like a closing track on a personal album than a competitive single or Eurovision entry. I admire the Netherlands for thinking out of the box again but the lack of almost any arrangement in the first 1:30 minutes as well as his very soft voice make it less enjoyable to me... I really tried to like this but for now, it's a :5: from me.
Exactly how I feel. The song is warm, it fels very personal, but I still can't warm up for it. Maybe it takes a few more listenings? But as you said it lacks of a climax (even though a song doesn't need it constantly tbh, but here it would have given the song more color). For now I give it a :6:. It may change, let's see.

ESCREGION

Trying to find sth that i like on this but nope
:2: points

grazy2266

What a lovely song, I think this will do well with the Juries and the staging could make this an amazing 3 mins of tv pleasure. I don't expect it will do so well in the televote but certainly, don't see this doing badly at all on the scoreboard.

Top Bottom