Contact us

Most underrated artists

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
This is the opposite of EscGeek's thread: write down here singers that have very few views on youtube, or almost no radio hits, but you think they don't deserve that kind of lack of fame.

LastDreamer

Banned
Is it only about the current artists / groups or retro is available too ?

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

EscGeek

Veteran
here we go...so may to name here :mrgreen:

All I can say is :Thank you eurovision for existing:lol:

LastDreamer

Banned
Of course, you can mention also retro artists.

On Haven music forum I started a cycle of threads under the title "Don't deserve to be forgotten" about retro female singers (from 60s to 90s), which don't have many fans, but deserve much more attention to their discography.

Twiggy : http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/thread/87595/deserve-forgotten-1-twiggy

Marga Scheide (and her girl group Luv') : http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/thread/87648/deserve-forgotten-marga-scheide-luv

Kathy Kirby : http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/thread/87889/deserve-forgotten-3-kathy-kirby

Lauren Laverne (leader of a girl band Kenickie) : http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/thread/88189/deserve-forgotten-4-lauren-laverne

Coming soon : Shampoo and Lynsey De Paul

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Great idea for a topicxheart Excuse my overindulgence here.

I'm leaving out artists who were overlooked in their life but received recognition after their deaths. Artists such as Nick Drake, Elliott Smith. Also leaving out artists with super cult followings or who are considered top of their niche genres, artists like Ariel Pink and Jay Reatard. Also perhaps surprisingly (to people who know me well) will be leaving out Nico, who i've never actually considered as underrated. She was an incredibly dark, bleak and difficult artist. I'm not at all baffled by people who don't enjoy her music, and to the vast majority of people she simply would not be worth the puzzle. She's as respected and as appreciated as can be. The ten artists i've mentioned below I think all deserve more love, attention and in some cases, understanding.

Judee Sill - A troubled artist who only left us behind two albums from during her painfully short time on this earth, but those two albums are stunning, with a celestial beauty unlike anything i've heard before or since I stumbled across her music years ago. At the time she was around in the 70s, Judee was a very weird mix to sell. Folk and gospel tinged tracks engulfed in this luscious baroque pop outer shell. The lyrics were as equally trippy as the music, touching on Christian themes, while at the same time speaking of astral planes and lopin' through the cosmos. This is an artist that will never come again.

John Cale - The man is a legend. A founder of the iconic and influential New York experimental rock band, The Velvet Underground. Lou Reed however is the name you may know, if any that are associated with this band. The Welshman Cale, although a very key member of the band, and one with a substantial solo career, isn't as celebrated in the same way as Reed. John Cale has in my opinion the best solo catalogue of the The Velvet Underground members. To add on top of that, he's an incredible producer having worked with artists such as Nico and Patti Smith. Much to my delight he recently recently released "M:Fans", a re-imagining of his dark 1982 pièce de résistance, "Music for a New Society". He's a living legend and my hero.

Amerie - My favourite RNB artist. I always thought she was several cuts above the rest of her contemporaries. She hasn't released music in a while but the old stuff still sounds fresh and cool today. She fizzled out I think when she was at her peak. Hard to think of cool pop track I like more than "Why R U".

Mikal Cronin - My favourite artist alive today making music. I simply adore Mr. Cronin with all my heart. He makes the most gorgeous, infectious garage rock. What sets Mikal apart from all his buddies is his rawness, his sincerity and his unusual insistence of using strings and other such instruments. A good chunk of his songs are essentially achingly beautiful baroque rock/pop tracks. That's not to say he doesn't rock though. Songs are often coated in loud walls of fuzz and gnarly distortion. I'm sure many people have an artist that they can really relate to and Mikal Cronin is my such artist.

Nicole Atkins - An absolutely brilliant singer-songwriter from New Jersey. I find her shockingly overlooked. There was a time when many such artists were exploding and it just never happened for Nicole. She draws quite heavily from old soul artists but has an alternative rock edge. A song like "The Way It Is" is humongous and in any decent world would have got a ridiculous amount of attention.

Todd Rundgren - Psychedelic soul rock legend and producer extraordinaire. Todd is Godd as many of his hardcore fans will tell you. However, this man has just gotta be the most underrated gentleman in the history of popular rock music. Despite all of his achievements as a songwriter (25 solo albums, not including his bands like Utopia) and a record producer (he was responsible for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell"), the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame STILL avoids this man. It's absolutely preposterous. He's a ridiculously fascinating artist to delve into. He's even got the most WTactualF rap album. He's pretty much done it all, and even the questionable points of his career are charming. The psychedelic stuff though.. "A Wizard, A True Star", just hold me someone! One of the greatest psych pop albums ever.

Dessa / Doomtree - This lady helped to start my peculiar love affair with hip-hop. One genre I must admit I never thought i'd get into but over the past few years i've been proved wrong thanks to certain wise MCs. Dessa is at the very top of the pile. She's a part of the Minnesota hip-hop collective Doomtree (who could also easily earn a place on this list. In fact, boom! Just added them) and also releases stuff solo. Dessa is one heck of a wordsmith, forging together intelligent and thought provoking verses. She's an incredible singer as well to boot. As for Doomtree, five super hot MCs paired with two incredible producers. It's magic what they come up with.

Michael Rault - I've got a real thing for psych pop and rock and this young Canadian I think is making some of the best of it. It's real retro, throwback stuff but it's utterly charming. Psychedelic vibes are doing pretty great today with bands like Tame Impala leading the pack. I don't think Michael Rault is getting a proper look in though. He deserves attention. His stuff is perhaps more rough around the edges (which only makes it even better in my opinion) and he leans heavily towards the garage rock side of things which is perhaps stopping him from reaching a bigger audience. Tame Impala are getting pretty slick now.

Yoko Ono - There's a lot of hate that has surrounded this woman throughout her life. Often accused of breaking up the Beatles and just generally attacked for her "lack of talent", when in fact there's some very beautiful work here to uncover for those brave enough to explore her discography. Her voice is a very difficult wall for people to climb over, but once you get over it there's a lot to enjoy, in particular her melancholic ballads.

Part Time - Gosh, how I adore this band. The music pretty much all comes from one mans bedroom. David Loca has been making the most super catchy 80s synth pop in his bedroom now for the past few years. It's lo-fi, hazy stuff but so awesome. I can't help but think of him as being a much less difficult Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti. It's full on pop. The weirdness is still there but it never takes over or threatens to stop a song in it's tracks.

More songs in the spoiler below

Carrie

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] you haven't heard Ameriie's Drive EP? :eek:

It came out in May and she said in an interview that she should have something out this month too!

RomanFromRussia

One of Italian folk-bands - La Rua. Guys make an awesome performance full of positive energy. Their songs sound very delightful, but unfortunately they are unknown.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] you haven't heard Ameriie's Drive EP? :eek:

It came out in May and she said in an interview that she should have something out this month too!

xheat I actually did hear about this but for whatever reason didn't investigate further at the time, then my goldfish brain did the rest of the work. Totally forgot. Oh my goodness, thank you Carriexheart Listening now and it's soooo darn wonderful. I can't believe how good this sounds. She's so true to herself. I was kind of nervous that i'd be hearing some super commercial sound after all these years away, but I should have had more faith. This is so Amerie (or "Ameriie", curse name changes messing with my lastfm page) and she's always been putting out this stuff. This is next level though. I'm smitten. It's like she never went away.

hdplus

Here's my favourite underrated artist:

EDEN
EDEN is a 20 year old Irish music producer and singer. In the years 2013 - mid 2015 EDEN mainly released EDM under his old name The Eden Project. In the middle of 2015 he changed his name to EDEN and also his music style changed to a kind of Indie-Pop-style. Until now EDEN has sung and produced all songs on his own. Since EDEN is/used to be an internet musican all (except his newest song+most likely all his following) songs from him are free.
Definetly not all people like his music, many find the music boring, but if you once fall in love with his voice you can never stop listening to him.
Here's a small collection of some of his songs

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Fantasia - This woman has one of the greatest voices on the whole planet and daaaayum she tears up the stage when she performs. Since winning American Idol in 2004 she has released hit after hit album with some really awesome R&B music, but also Tasia crosses over into other genres such as jazz, motown, and even musical theatre. She has had two stints on Broadway, in 'The Color Purple' and 'After Midnight', receiving rave reviews about both. It's such a shame that such a diverse and dedicated performer is not mega famous like, say, Beyoncé or Rihanna, just because her music is less conventional :( The song below is far from her best, but the performance really showcases her vocals and her ferocity on stage!

Tamar Braxton - See above^ Tamar should be held in the same light as her big sister Toni - I find it incredibly sad that Tamar probably wouldn't be releasing music like she did today if she hadn't starred in 'Braxton Family Values', a reality TV show focussing on the Braxton sisters: Traci, Trina, Towanda, Tamar and (especially) Toni. However I shouldn't complain, all three of her albums to date are absolutely incredible, and I of course loved her on her stint on The Real, the best TV talk show on TV xheat sorry the view fans... not sorry.

Ricki-Lee - Just pure awesome pop music and a great voice. Ricki is an icon and has bags of stage presence as well, I really wish 'Raining Diamonds' would have got the international success it deserved.

Carrie

Carly Rae Jepsen - Despite the international success that was Call Me Maybe and Good Time, Carly seems to have fallen off of the radar slightly ever since I Really Like You, despite still being a household name. In that respect she isn't underrated, but she isn't enjoying as much chart success as she should be and one of her recent releases, Run Away With Me, has been highly acclaimed by critics. The Emotion era should have been a world wide smash. She's still doing incredibly well for a female popstar, though.

Lucy Hale - Actress and singer Lucy Hale's début album is one of the best female country albums of recent years and don't get me wrong - Road Between did fairly decently in the US and Canada but it should have done a lot better. The album campaign was fairly choppy thanks to a vocal problem Lucy had, preventing her from touring, yet the country radios didn't exactly get on board with Lie A Little Better, her second single.. Carrie and Miranda dominate the female country market over there and Lucy did well to get the recognition she did, but again, there should have been more.

Elva Hsiao - As far as the Taiwanese market goes, Elva is a superstar and rightfully so. However, when it comes to international fans Elva is kind of lacking compared to the huge South Korean acts like Hyuna or CL, which is completely unfair. She's been in the industry for a good 16 years now and is one of Taiwan's best selling pop divas and it's high time that Kpop fans indulge in some Mandopop.

Eden XO - Half-Farsi Jessie has been in the industry for a good while now and hasn't seen too much success, despite having changed aliases twice. She is everything a popstar should be and I can't see why she isn't selling out arenas and topping the charts.

Neon Hitch - Like Eden, Neon has the formula of the popstar perfected but the industry has been hard on her. Neon's début album, Anarchy, is finally coming out this month. It's been a long road and hopefully this gets her some recognition outside of the Lebanese top 20.

Others

LastDreamer

Banned
:lt: YVA - it's like the most pop girl group in the history of music.

From Eurovision National Pre-selection :

Iconic !!!

Last edited:

LastDreamer

Banned

Fluke

Gino Vannelli - Amazing vocalist, perfect blend of jazz, rock and futuristic synths yet enough pop sensibility to reach a much larger audience, you'd think, but people just don't know about him, even the kind of genre fans who should! But i guess never really having a big hit, along with a easily lampoonable image is the reason....

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Gino Vannelli - Amazing vocalist, perfect blend of jazz, rock and futuristic synths yet enough pop sensibility to reach a much larger audience, you'd think, but people just don't know about him, even the kind of genre fans who should! But i guess never really having a big hit, along with a easily lampoonable image is the reason...

What does "lampoonable" mean? Not even Google Translate helps...

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
SPOON
This track is from the album "They want my soul" which i purchased last year and that was the first i'd ever heard of the band. Just found out today that they've been releasing albums since 1997. Can't believe i'd never heard of them in all that time. Deserve more success imo

LastDreamer

Banned
:lt: Mango
:nl: Ivana Raymonda Van Der Veen
:uk: Diana Vickers
:lt: Marija Akelan

Last edited:
Top Bottom