Contact us

Morocco MOROCCO 2021 - Not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

A-lister

Veteran
@Charly

But that's just the thing, the whole "it's a private matter" which in reality translates to: Just hide that you're gay, don't talk about it publically, don't show any public affection etc. which de facto makes it pretty much illegal. Now I also agree that sexuality is a private matter, but if someone risks a prison sentence for just showing public affection or openly talking about their rights, then obviously there's an issue.

I also don't think the issue here would be if some performer is gay, rather the content shown on the show (for instance rainbow flags in the public, a gay kiss on stage or something else "promoting" homosexuality), and such content occur in ESC every now and then and I doubt a Moroccan broadcaster would be fine with that, I would be even surprised if it would be legal to show on public TV (but I could be wrong?).

anto475

Mdr my little sister is a lesbian and everyone acts normally with her
Mabruk for your sister but I have gay friends in Morocco who have been driven to suicidal thoughts over the treatment they've gotten from neighbours and family members, as well as gay friends who have gone to Morocco for work and study and have felt very unsafe. On top of that there's mountains of data showing that the general atmosphere for queer people in Morocco is terrible.

@Charly

But that's just the thing, the whole "it's a private matter" which in reality translates to: Just hide that you're gay, don't talk about it publically, don't show any public affection etc. which de facto makes it pretty much illegal. Now I also agree that sexuality is a private matter, but if someone risks a prison sentence for just showing public affection or openly talking about their rights, then obviously there's an issue.

I also don't think the issue here would be if some performer is gay, rather the content shown on the show (for instance rainbow flags in the public, a gay kiss on stage or something else "promoting" homosexuality), and such content occur in ESC every now and then and I doubt a Moroccan broadcaster would be fine with that, I would be even surprised if it would be legal to show on public TV (but I could be wrong?).

This is my last thing I'll say about it here as I don't want to derail the thread any further (if anyone wants to talk about it more I'll happily chat with them in the dedicated forum in politics) but I completely agree with A-lister and this is the problem. It can be "a private matter", that's fine, but making it illegal is deeply harmful. It drives relationships and love underground where they are more at risk of abuse and violence, it increases the rate of STIs and HIV as people are afraid of seeking treatment for them, and it leaves people feeling incredibly isolated and alone as they don't feel they belong in their own country. They look at movies and music and family members and all they see is men loving women and women loving men and that's it, they don't see any example for themselves and they're met with only a few people accepting them at best and violence and ostracisation at worst. Having something so natural being "illegal" is ridiculous and dangerous.

And of course everything that A-Lister said regarding the content on screen. Would that be accepted by a Moroccan public broadcaster?

Charly

Honestly, the answer to that would be quite unknown depending on SNRT's aititude!

In my view, it comes down on whether its achievable to transform a moral social conservative society to a more liberal freemind. I would say steps have already taken place for that transformation. Women rights are the key changing factor right now with more and more laws being introduced to tackle inequality etc. The decriminilisation of marijuana I would say a liveral move. Steps are taking and being considered to completly abolish capital punishemnt which under moratorium for 30 years. (possibly next year could be approved by parliament)

But, LGBT issue is still a long way and tbh, decriminilization is an ongoing topic but it has not got the support of change so far but the path towards it is optimistic especially that our population age average is lowering which could bring more liberal minds. For the public broadcaster view I cannot say if they are willing to but it could rely on government strategies whether they see if ESC could be economically beneficial.

Personally taking part again would open Morocco up mmore for tourism our key earner in economy even if not winning it still opens up for new tourists :lol:

Top Bottom