The air is what they need
The air is what they breathe
They'll die without it
It's unforgivable

Breathe​

Last edited by a moderator:

musicfan

Ah yes, my Vladana came through.

All the people talking nonsense about how she couldn't sing it. Plus a surprise, she added a section in another language. And it worked, instead of repeating the unforgivable line an extra time (which was one of the few points I'd change). Also the end wasn't too sudden like I feared.

They improved what was already a severely underrated song into a classic. Like Iceland it was one of my biggest favourites from the start and neither let me down.

And yes I know there wasn't much to the staging, probably for financial reasons, but it is song contest. Apparently the full LED backscreen was to be used so it was one of the casualties of the decision to only show part of it.

Last edited:

goncalovieira

Her mum should be proud.
Such an amazing participant she was along these last months!

Fluke

I think this was stronger than the other similar ballads this year, like the overrated Greece, Armenia and Portugal who made the final. But whatever, i still don't really care. Montenegro needs to go "crazy" again, that's what works best for them.

Milos-BC

Terribly underrated. I voted for her so many times.........too bad the outcome wasn't different. She was flawless, one could feel the pain when she was singing, but the song (sadly) didn't appeal to the masses :(

Still one of the best :me: songs.

Navn Navnes

Should have qualified, Portugal and maybe Netherlands and Iceland the only better ballads/slower songs.(Lithuania more midtempo)

ESC94

Just took a look at the results, almost all points for this song were from :rs: and :mk: with the expection of one point from the jury in :es: and it was also the only country outside of former :yu: where "Breathe" didn´t finish last in the televote, reaching 17th place.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Easily the weakest ballad of the year, very predictable, dramatic and by the numbers

ESC94

I'm calling it now. Montenegro get their best result ever this year and it won't even be close. This will strongly resonate with Europe during these times. Vladana wrote the song about her mother, and with that piece of information when listening to her sing, it's a heart-wrenching piece about loss. The lyrics however could certainly take on a double meaning during this moment. Vladana in early January described the song as being her "cure for Europe". No one else is offering such an entry. This has all the potential to be an incredibly powerful moment.

Oh well, this aged like milk. :LOL:

empo21

Veteran
Awful staging. Was Belgium 2018 not a good enough lesson that you don't put a singer singing an intimate song out in the open and smack dab in the middle of an audience?

Plus they didn't even bank on the gasp before the last chorus. Overall missed opportunities all over the place.

musicfan

The live on tape is worth posting. The performance is perfect to me, even at the final climax there's an edge to the voice still but it also feels controlled enough to give it extra power.

And the backing screens work well. In Turin the backing screens were obviously largely hidden, but even what was hidden wasn't that inspired. There were loads of faces of people lined up at some points, but that seemed a heavy handed covid message. And we've seen faces on backing screens several times before anyway.

The smaller stage may also help with some songs like this one.

Top Bottom