12 6.1%

13 6.6%

8 4.1%

7 3.6%

12 6.1%

56 28.4%

• Total voters

FilipFromSweden

Didn't deserve the Barbara Dex award, because he is only wearing a pair of shimmery pants and a fishnet top. Lindita from :al: deserved it for wearing the tackiest wedding dress in history

Synergise

So bad. So embarrassing. Why did they push the "gay attitude" so far ? They didn't need to do that, imo.

What's wrong with pushing a "gay attitude"? Slavko is gay, and he is clearly a flamboyant character even when he isn't performing. He can act however the hell he wants.

I'm sorry to point this out particularly on your post, and I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but Slavko has had this kind of reaction from the start from people, and it's just outright homophobic. You can say it's too over-the-top for your taste, (you can have hated the performance), but to say that it's bad and embarrassing that he was "gay" in his performance IS homophobic.

I actually think Slavko was way too conservative - he was never going to do well with juries, so he should have focused on the televote. Had he gone all-out (better choreography for a start, and backing dancers to support what he was doing), he could have really done well (top 5 in the semi) with the public. As it was, his performance was kitsch but not big enough to stand out, especially when you had the likes of Moldova who were probably competing for a similar vote.

tuorem

My review of "Space":

-I'm one of the few who was positively curious about the Montenegrin entry after it was announced Slavko would be their representative. However, I guess I expected something else sonically-speaking. The entry is typical Eurovision kitch stuff and imo has a lot in common with the Hungarian entry "Dance With Me" in 2009. It's a pop song that's meant to cater for the taste of a fringe of the Eurovision fandom that misses them campy songs, I guess the overall production has been saved by G:son - it could have sounded really cheap - and the instrumentation fluctuates between early 2000's europop and disco-ish throwback vibes. Without considering it a guilty pleasure myself, I think it's a pretty decent song (for what it is, ofc), it's not really my cup of tea, but I don't mind listening to it, at least it stands out from the rest. The lyrics are ridiculously risqué but they work actually, I feel like they've gone all out in this regard - and thank you - because it's not just another bunch of platitudes: it's in your face, maybe cringeworthy sometimes, but it's got an identity, and the same cannot be said about most entries this year. Pros: the cheeky lyrics. Cons: I have none in mind.

The highlight of the song to me is merely the chorus, it's really quite catchy and I've found myself humming it a few times.

-Vocally, it's really a cold shower though. Why most camp acts can't sing their songs properly? That's a real question. The studio version is so great that the live performance sounded flat imo, yet it seemed to have been his best rendition compared with his various performances at past Eurovision concerts. I like Slavko's vocal tone, but he could have used some singing lessons, it wasn't a super vocally-demanding song.

-Visually, this was my biggest disappointment. Where is the "performance that has never been done before" he had promised us? When he stated he would do something unique, I thought of a milimetric musical theater-inspired show with dancers, props and extra led screens... Something fierce, flamboyant and memorable. I'm sorry to say that but Slavko didn't fill the stage to me, and watching him wearing a see-through black top and shaking his ponytail is just not enough to keep me entertained. I'm even more disappointed because Montenegro have always staged their songs appropriately with good ideas and "Space" had so much potential visually. The background was mainly him appearing sporadically in a mix of electric blue, orange and purple shades. I guess the colour scheme was okay - I mean it fitted the space theme, but having closeups of him everywhere wasn't an asset, they could have thought of something else. So, Slavko's show only involved a long skirt removal and some gestures routine... This was poor to me, the song demanded more drama and energy: why not a more sexually-suggestive dance routine, a prop used as a gimmick during the bridge and some tighter camera shots? There were many possibilities (I would have gladly gone into space with him in the litteral sense of the word!). Outfit-wise, I didn't like Slavko's top (I just don't like see-through clothes on men) but it fit his style even though his chest looked like it was painted on the fabric. Both his skirt and shiny trousers were bomb though. Overall, he looked good.

-Results-wise: I think no one was expecting a qualification tbh, for the juries would have never supported this. He did quite well with televoters though, I guess he woke up people after the series of ballads. In my book, Montenegro were borderline qualifiers, I do enjoy the song when I listen to it, but it's not in the category of songs I really like. I'm disappointed by the lazy staging, I hope the delegation will get back to their previous standards. However, I applaud Montenegro for trying something different musically, "Space" was a nice addition to this weak edition: keep opening up your own path and please don't think Balkan ballads are the only answer for qualification. :p

NickWilde

Slavko ! My diva xd
Don't tell me why i love this song for a troll song. Maybe it's funny. After is it ideal to talk about XFactor UK here as Slavko passed his audition. If he won XFactor, i'll participate to build a statue for him

ESC94

Well, :me: is the country of the former Yugoslavians I like the least in the contest. Since their debut in 2007 the only entries I liked a bit were from 2014 and 2015, and even they were not that special to me. The other were either totally overrated by fans or simply embarassing, like their song in 2017.

That year they sent Slavko Kalezic with the title "Space". I don´t know why, but the lyrics and his voice made me feel goosebumbs, but this time in a negative way. He was just not a singer and the performance with the transparent top reminded me of someone who wanted to go to the local CSD but instead got lost on the ESC stage. The movemens he did with his hair were kinda funny but not enough to save this bland und uninteresting dance song. Since most of the former Yugoslavian countries were in the other semi I didn´t expect him to qualify, and I was right, even though he didn´t do that badly among the viewers.

All in all this was kinda funny, but still cringy, and the song itself was just not good enough in my opinion. That´s why I gave :3:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom