Your lips are hot and sweet, I feel it to my knees
Now I want only one sugar, sugar on my tongue
I need your kisses baby, gotta keep 'em coming
Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh

Sugar​

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
I thought the response to Sugar on this forum would be warmer. I did expect some YAAAAASS QUEEEEEN! gifs or something.

Iker

Veteran
Well I was expecting hot garbage from Putinista and the Chia Pet and that's what we've got for the most part. Sounds like something Svetlana Lovoda would've rejected for Eurovision a few years back. Also the music video looked cheap with the graphics they used. Prison was much better.
'Prison' was a blatant plagiarism of 'Hijo de La Luna' though and I hated it for that (I really like the original song). It was like a garbled, bad version of it.

Iker

Veteran
I don't know, the lack of chorus sounds like a very uncreative try of diversity to me.

The lack of chorus/different structure isn't a problem of the song, it's how the lack of chorus works with the rest of the song, and how the structure of the song works as a whole. Imo, a pre-chorus that doesn't lead to any chorus makes no sense. If there is no chorus, there should be no pre-chorus. Make it verse - drop - verse - drop - bridge - drop, something like that. But making a pre-chorus without a chorus is like drinking something as an appetizer, but not preparing nor eating any meal. I mean...you can do it, but it's not quite good to do it. :D

A different and unique song still has to be good. It can't get a pass *just* because it's different. Although I must admit I don't see what is so special and different in this entry.
Yeah...and I must admit it's actually confusing to me that a song that is aiming for a strong beat and a strong hook somehow fails to be memorable.

Eleni's chorus was "Cause I'm way up and I ain't coming down...", imo. After making that assumption, I checked the lyrics online and Genius does have that part as the song's chorus while it classifies that repeating of the word fuego as a "drop". It was a bit unusual chorus, with more silent instrumental background, but it was there.
For me 'Sugar' has a chorus though ... it is that part when Natalia sings one word which is ... Sugar. Lol.

Iker

Veteran
To all those people criticizing the structure and composition of the song.... we need DIVERSITY in this contest, not all songs must have a proper chorus to be enjoyable for a lot of people.

This song is all about the HOT drop and just the sexy mood it has. I can't compare this to any other ESC entries, because we never get music like this in the contest, while a lot of the other songs this year (and 75% of all entries the last 5 years) have been very predictable, heard before in the ESC and have just been very basic/mainstream.

Just my opinion.

Go Moldova xheart
But this song is actually very mainstream, at least for Eastern Europe (esp. Russia). Not anything that is mainstream is basic though either.

Morpheus

I thought the response to Sugar on this forum would be warmer. I did expect some YAAAAASS QUEEEEEN! gifs or something.

I think this might be getting an average of MEH, because it is trash on purpose, and as a consequence it's hollow and empty and calculated. People in general don't like to feel manipulated.
This and El Diablo have proved that, I think.

Iker

Veteran
I think this might be getting an average of MEH, because it is trash on purpose, and as a consequence it's hollow and empty and calculated. People in general don't like to feel manipulated.
This and El Diablo have proved that, I think.
I am, for once, pleasantly surprised by Moldova this year. But then again this is the country that I have extremely low expectations when it comes to the ESC.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I am, for once, pleasantly surprised by Moldova this year. But then again this is the country that I have extremely low expectations when it comes to the ESC.

yeah same. this is the best Moldovan entry since 2013, so this is an achievement on its own. can't decide yet if this is a guilty pleasure or an actual quality entry (yes Slutbops can be quality as well in my opinion).

Sammy

Veteran
I thought the whole song is one big chorus and I was missing the verses - usually where you can find the content of the song. :mrgreen:

Sammy

Veteran
yeah same. this is the best Moldovan entry since 2013, so this is an achievement on its own. can't decide yet if this is a guilty pleasure or an actual quality entry (yes Slutbops can be quality as well in my opinion).
Just out of curiosity (I‘m not sarcastic here): what does a song has to have in order to fall both under the category „slutbop“ AND „quality entry“?

Ezio

Veteran
I just received THREE kiss emojis from Natalia (or her team) in my Instagram DMs, because I posted a sugar clip in my stories. xheart
Of course I will now vote my ass off.
Wow, your are easy, like Sunday morning Tia

rasmuslights

Veteran
Just out of curiosity (I‘m not sarcastic here): what does a song has to have in order to fall both under the category „slutbop“ AND „quality entry“?

hmm hard question. I'd say a not-quality slutbop was for example last year's Dale Dale from Moldova (in the nf). A quality one is for example Maruv. Where does this sit I'm not sure year.. :) slutbop is when a woman is being sexy and is dancing to an upbeat rhythm haha nad quality for me (when judging a dance song) is just the production itself, I'm not a producer, but I can tell when a song sounds cheap and when it doesn't, here at times is sounds a bit cheap, but most of the time it sounds well produced and rounded, not to mention the effort that went into the MV (those ice cream girls look cheap tho hahah).. so yeah, this is completely subjective tho:)

Ezio

Veteran
I hope you remember your words, when u see me representing Switzerland in a high level Kirkorov production buying all those austrian votes.
I'd love to. But which words am I supposed to remember? Could you spell them for me?

kamc

This is grand. I feel I should like it more but it’s lacking an ingredient or two to make it really pop.

Euterpa

slutbop is when a woman is being sexy and is dancing to an upbeat rhythm haha

slutbop
noun

An upbeat pop song sang by an attractive woman. For some reason, it is ok to use a derogatory term slut because she is a woman and we're supposed to take it as a compliment. Attractive guys singing upbeat pop songs are just guys. Cool dudes. Even when they're singing slutty songs like I love it in the morning na na na na I love it every weekend na na na na I want it all every minute. Not sluts, just winners. Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before...

Fluke

Okay, so this isn't gonna make my favorites, but i still think it's a pretty strong package in many ways. I see another left side placement for Moldova, like with Sax Guy and the Doritos.

Top Bottom