І аm whаt І аm

І аm whаt І аm
І аm whаt І аm
Веndіng bасkwаrdѕ trуіng tо fіt іn
І’ll mаkе thеm undеrѕtаnd, уеаh
Таkе іt оr lеаvе іt
І аm whаt І аm…​

FilipFromSweden

You know that she also wrote "Out of Sight" herself - I don´t think that her "artistic integrity" got harmed because of a song she wrote herself and decided to submit to a national final.
oh whatever, designers on Project Runway make looks all the time and go hmm this isn’t right let me do something else. If people wanna be mad then they should focus on the Maltese broadcaster who made the rules, not Emma who chose to act within the rules

FilipFromSweden

Nothing says artistic integrity like abandoning the song you won the national final with at the last minute for a song made by dotters husband
Is it really that crazy to think we will see a happier artist with more spark in May as she does a song she prefers? Over a song she isn’t feeling anymore

Mainshow

Veteran
oh whatever, designers on Project Runway make looks all the time and go hmm this isn’t right let me do something else. If people wanna be mad then they should focus on the Maltese broadcaster who made the rules, not Emma who chose to act within the rules

Emma can do whatever she wants. She was allowed to change the song as long as the entry hadn´t been submitted to the EBU.
That´s not the issue. You were arguing that Emma singing "Out of Sight" would have been against her "artistic integrity" because "she wasn´t feeling the song".

@MopManMoss and I argue that no "artistic integrity" was harmed since Emma herself wrote "Out Of Sight" (and therefore, one can argue that she "was indeed feeling the song very much" because - again - the song was written by Emma) and she voluntarily and eagerly chose to compete with that song in a national final which took place less than a month ago (a strange thought of artists getting tired of performing their new single after 2-3 performances within a single month, btw - especially nowadays, in which most artists release 2-3 singles per year maximum due to how streaming/the music market works nowadays).

She didn´t change the song because of her "artistic integrity" - she/the Maltese delegaton changed it because they thought that "I am What I Am" is more competitive and they ditched "Out of Sight" after getting negative response.
The song change was calculated - "I Am What I Am" is formulaic and slightly more generic (especially, lyrically) and thus, she neglected from taking part with a self-written song to come up with a new song (which she also wrote herself but got composed very last-minute, produced by a Swedish guy who happened to be available at that time).

Again, I agree with you - Emma should be doing whatever makes her happy and I also agree with some users that "I Am What I Am" is more instant/quite catchy and thus, may impress some jury members and televoters but please don´t sell this change as a symbol of "artistic integrity".

Chorizo

Malta again...
The music video is quite amusing. She's trying to look attractive while everyone else was cast for being visually unappealing or even a total freak in order to support the message of the song. Sorry, but this just looks too much like cheesy and unimaginative virtue signaling to get points. I'm not going to reward this approach at all.
I'm not sure if this song is better than the last one because the previous song was utterly forgettable and near the bottom of my ranking. I don't care enough to compare these songs now.
0 points.

babadabada

In terms of song this is better than Out of Sight. But I am very tired of this kind of lyrics : everybody's are what they are.
I just had the vision of Putin singing that song : he could use this lyrics to justify his craziness.
Gloria Gaynor's I am what I am was very inspiring and delivered a true message. This one sounds empty of anything.
This sentence could justify everything, I found it really dangerous.

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
Out of sight: 2 points
I am what I am: originally also 2 points, minus 2 for changing the song, makes zero.
By no means I thought Out Of Sight was something amazing, or not generic but I liked that one more than I Am What I Am. I actually like singing the chorus on my own of the original entry, lol.

The melody was prettier and there was something personal about it still. This one is just a bland Melodifestivalen filler that is even more generic than a generic MF song. I can't stand that happy-clappy ending to it too.

mauve

Veteran
By no means I thought Out Of Sight was something amazing, or not generic but I liked that one more than I Am What I Am. I actually like singing the chorus on my own of the original entry, lol.

The melody was prettier and there was something personal about it still. This one is just a bland Melodifestivalen filler that is even more generic than a generic MF song. I can't stand that happy-clappy ending to it too.
Maybe "Out of sight" was slightly better, but for me it is nothing outstanding and really forgetable. :( "I am what I am" is indeed more bland and generic.

Mainshow

Veteran
Now we know the reason why this song is such a beige turd:

:mt: asked :dk: for help to find some leftovers after the Maltese national final hahahahahahahaha

“I Am What I Am” according to Anders Fredslund was written in the summer of 2021 as part of a songwriting camp that The Arrangement and Autor organised for the Eurovision Song Contest. The song was submitted into Melodifestivalen 2022 but was rejected by SVT.

Iker

Veteran

:mt: asked :dk: for help to find some leftovers after the Maltese national final hahahahahahahaha

How come I am not surprised it was written in a songwriting camp? Those songs in 95% end up totally bland. I swear I could be good at identifying those if someone asked me to listen to 5 of them hidden in the bunch of 10 songs.

Smudy

I'm very late to this NF, how did this not win, it's such a bop.

Loindici

Veteran

Like can't they find something that's at least interesting? How can they shortlist two and then choose something that will compete in any NF ever and get second to last?

But it got me thinking, if Dotter ever competed with this song in MF, would Eurofans pretend to eat it like a winner? Food for thought.

hijirio

Veteran
I'm pretty sure Emma would have bought this song if she could

Ianp16

What is it with Malta sending entries that are great, majorly outdated and probably would have been top 3 10 years ago?

Top Bottom