І аm whаt І аm
І аm whаt І аm
Веndіng bасkwаrdѕ trуіng tо fіt іn
І’ll mаkе thеm undеrѕtаnd, уеаh
Таkе іt оr lеаvе іt
І аm whаt І аm…​

Mainshow

Veteran
Seriously, this is such a stupid move from the Maltese delegation.
They already know most of the songs - they must have noticed that we´re lacking female-led uptempo tracks and instead of coming up with something as well-produced, catchy and memorable like "Je me casse" or "Chameleon", they try do pull off a "Mamas" but just in a less interesting version?

I really had to laugh hard when the chorus kicked in: What a turd of a wannabe self-empowering anthem, too cheesy, formulaic, the lyrics of the chorus are ridiculously cheap. The middle 8 basically doesn´t exist apart from two instruments and her trying to do some ad-libs. TRAGIC... this is such an utterly horrendous crap - seriously - if "I Am What I Am" turns out to be the official entry, :mt: will join :dk: to be my last place this year. - The last minute of the song is as exciting as :au: in terms of lyrics/Sheldon´s chorus.
These gospel-ish components and that ridiculous clapping don´t save the song from falling flat.

Damn, Malta.. This is pure trash.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?

Ezio

Veteran
Desperate moves are a Maltese Eurovision tradition.

crashworld

Veteran
They already know most of the songs - they must have noticed that we´re lacking female-led uptempo tracks and instead of coming up with something as well-produced, catchy and memorable like "Je me casse" or "Chameleon", they try do pull off a "Mamas" but just in a less interesting version?

The thing is both entries didn't exactly paid off for them. Even though what Destiny has achieved is already good enough considering Malta has been in the slumps for years. So I guess they do not want to go with another female uptempo track for the fear of underperforming.

But that doesn't excuse them for giving us 2 blardy beige songs from the same artist.

Sammy

Veteran
In my opinion the song change was already planned apart from the comments on "Out of Sight".
The MESC rules provided for this, so I don't think it's a problem with negative comments or a weak song.
Why on earth habe a NF when you plan a song change beforehand? Why not
enter the one you want? Why turn the other contestants to pure stand-in dummies?

njdevils94

Veteran

I really had to laugh hard when the chorus kicked in: What a turd of a wannabe self-empowering anthem, too cheesy, formulaic, the lyrics of the chorus are ridiculously cheap. The middle 8 basically doesn´t exist apart from two instruments and her trying to do some ad-libs. TRAGIC... this is such an utterly horrendous crap - seriously - if "I Am What I Am" turns out to be the official entry, :mt: will join :dk: to be my last place this year. - The last minute of the song is as exciting as :au: in terms of lyrics/Sheldon´s chorus.
These gospel-ish components and that ridiculous clapping don´t save the song from falling flat.

Damn, Malta.. This is pure trash.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?
I'm going to wait until it's confirmed she is changing the song. I think the broadcaster is just testing the waters at the moment.

Yazy

Now to get back to the original reason why I came to this thread.

My thoughts:
I´m not super crazy about it, but "Out of sight" is a solid Maltese attempt in my opinion.

Despite very ordinary, basic sounding instrumental arrangement, the song has a very catchy hook and I enjoy both the chorus and verses.

I honestly prefer this over last year´s Maltese entry and I definitely prefer it over the supposed replacement song.
Despite sounding less expensive production wise than the songs I compared it to above, there is just something about "Out of sight" that sounds like a more genuine and organic song to me.

Final verdict: golden :6: points!

Last edited:

Hayato

Am I the only one that likes it and thinks that it is better than Out of Sight?
xhug You're not alone! I see lot of people here saying it's inferior, but all the twitter polls say it's better? I mean, Out of Sight is 31st out of 38 in the app so do ya'll really think it's that great? lol

For all the generic comments, which I agree with to some extent, I actually find I Am What I Am quite emotional and empowering and not pretentious or bland. So, each to his own! The gospel sound would make it stand out from the other ballads with some powerful staging and maybe a small backing choir. :love: I also think it suits Emma's voice perfectly and the anthemic feel at least makes it more impactful than Out of Sight.

As for 'sounds like a Melfest reject'- weren't Adrenalina and Je Me Casse just that? If that's the case, I Am What I Am is the way to go!

Realest

Its official.

Malta will be represented at the 66th Eurovision Song Contest by Emma Muscat. The artist will travel north to Turin with her song ‘I AM WHAT I AM’.

Yazy

Even if the quality of a new song equals 12 points, it immediately becomes soiled to me when it gets selected in this type of way.

Got nothing else to say.

hijirio

Veteran
Well, those who say this sounds Melodifestivalen are a bit too optimist
This is not Swedish cheese, this is pure Danish cheese.

hijirio

Veteran
Also, how is this higher than Albania and Austria in the odds? Malta sis when will you learn.

Top Bottom