13 7.4%

16 9.1%

12 6.8%

10 5.7%

21 11.9%

• Total voters

MyHeartIsYours

Re: MALTA 2018

Not a bad NF from Malta at all! There's quite a few I wouldn't mind going to Lisbon: Richard & Joe (who I guess will win lol), Avenue Sky or one of our Maltese 'divas' :D Jasmine and Deborah being the best of them I think! And I hadn't much rated Aidan's original version of Dai Laga but I love this revamp! So I guess Richard & Joe or Aidan.

cripesdude

Just made it through the Maltese final 16... it's not a bad selection, but I didn't think I heard an obvious winner...

For me, one song really stood out though: Matthew Anthony - "Call 2morrow".

It's modern, a little different, and gives me Jack Garratt vibes.

It might be too subtle and chilled to get attention, but it would certainly deserve to qualify. Easily my choice for this year.

NNR

ZoboCamel

Ever since the 'ooh they released all the new songs' hype went, I've realized how meh most of the entries are.

In the meanwhile, check out the song reviews I've done!

https://oisindoesesc.wordpress.com/2018/01/20/mesc-2018-reviews-and-predictions/

Ooh, in-depth predictions. Always my kind of thing. Most of your guesses up the top are pretty much what I'd expect myself, though I think you might be underestimating Rhiannon – with a good enough performance, I feel she could at least nab that fourth-ish spot you've got Jasmine in. Apart from that, I'd probably have Richard & Joe up as one of the top three contenders for the win, but your guess of sixth is possible too if Malta doesn't warm to them like I expect.

As for my personal opinion on the quality of the entries, I'm... well. There's a lot of stuff here I like – I enjoy just about half of the songs on offer here, which is a lot more than I do in most NFs – but there's very little to love. It's as if the selection is filled entirely with songs that are on the borderline of "nice" and "not quite good enough to call nice"... just a lot of stuff in the middle.

That said, there are a couple of standouts that I enjoy myself and feel could work at Eurovision, with Richard & Joe and Eleanor as the main ones of note. Rhiannon could be a dark horse too if executed brilliantly. I don't think there's anything to trouble the higher spots of the scoreboard in May though.

DanielLuis

So this national final is made up mostly of commercial pop songs that all sound similar. I don't think that the general quality is bad, it's actually quite good, much better than Malta's last few NFs. But it's all very homogeneous. The songs only start to differentiate more with 1 or 2 extra listenings.
Another thing that I noticed is how terrible the majority of the lyrics are. It's really bad in some cases.

I think that 3 songs are ahead of the pack though. Brooke has a very infectious uplifting feel good song with "Heart of gold". However this one suffers tremendously from the bad lyrics previously mentioned. I mean, I am beautiful like a pack of wolves with a heart of gold? Well I'm glad to know that, thank you Brooke.
Eleanor with "Back to life" is very powerful, especially that final chorus. If she hits those notes tomorrow she could very well win. And Rhiannon with "Beyond blue horizons" is a underrated pearl in my opinion. It has so much soul and it develops so smoothly troughout the 3 minutes! If Rhiannon can make it justice tomorrow it could surprise a lot of people.

There are a lot of other good songs though. "Dai laga", "Rocket", "Call 2morrow", "Song for dad", "Supernovas" etc. Bar a terrible choice from Malta, they are definitely going to improve on their entry last year.

By the way, Deborah C's song is sooooo much like a traditional pimba Portuguese song but in English. I hate it with a passion.

Realest

I actually think its one of the Stronger NFs. Richard and Joe would get Malta probably the best Result at Eurovision.

Schlagerman1

I actually think its one of the Stronger NFs. Richard and Joe would get Malta probably the best Result at Eurovision.

That would mean winning, since they been 2nd twice (2002 and 2005)? :? Even if Richard & Joe is one of the few fine songs in the maltese selection, I have a hard time seeing them get pass top 20 in a final, but I could be wrong...

Realest

That would mean winning, since they been 2nd twice (2002 and 2005)? :? Even if Richard & Joe is one of the few fine songs in the maltese selection, I have a hard time seeing them get pass top 20 in a final, but I could be wrong...

No, I mean R&J would get a higher Result in Lisbon that the other 15.

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Time to vote in the official ESC United poll - vote for who #YOU like the most HERE and we'll reveal the results before the show.

And don't forget that Matt will be live following the selection of the Maltese artist on YouTube, more details HERE (click click click)!

CPV4931

Unfortunatelly won´t be able to watch Malta tonight, but hoping for Eleanor Cassar or Brooke Borg to win tonight :-) Although I think, Ricard & Joe will be the winners.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

Come on Richard and Joe! Save Malta from generic pop trash.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

giphy.gif

I so cannot wait to spend my evening complaining how slow and mediocre this NF is. 40 minute intro, 1 entry, 50 minute interval, 30 minute ad break, 2nd intro and another interval, 30 minute ad break, song 2 and then so on until we reach the year 2074. xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

[MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] get your credit card ready though to order some Belvita breakfast biscuits and life insurance, cause that temptation will surely prove too much for us all. Long live Maltese adverts.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

[MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] get your credit card ready though to order some Belvita breakfast biscuits and life insurance, cause that temptation will surely prove too much for us all. Long live Maltese adverts.

It's already out and ready at my side. I also especially purchased a Maltese mobile in order to vote for the just announced wildcard entry - Amber "varrior". If only Mediterranean Bank was still with us, I was just thinking about moving banks and the Maltese NF could give me that push.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

It's already out and ready at my side. I also especially purchased a Maltese mobile in order to vote for the just announced wildcard entry - Amber "varrior". If only Mediterranean Bank was still with us, I was just thinking about moving banks and the Maltese NF could give me that push.

I'd like to purchase a Maltese mobile to vote for this special wildcard, but I think I need to save every penny I have to purchase that Maltese life insurance. You never know when your life might be at risk. I'm safe from the Spanish Euro fans this year, but i'm a little worried French fans might want me dead, so it's wise to plan ahead.

I don't know if I will watch this NF or not tonight tbh. I can't remember disliking many entries but I only really liked Rhiannon's song. It's Malta though and Malta are iconic and dear to us all, so I feel like I should tune in just because it's a special once a year event.

FoxOfShadows

I really hope Malta picks 'Call 2morrow' or 'Song for Dad'. Everything is else is just beige and boring pop that won't put Malta back into the final again. One of these two please :)

Top Bottom