18 11.1%

19 11.7%

17 10.5%

31 19.1%

• Total voters

Romeo

one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard

honzak11

Honestly, I didn't like the song very much at first, but at Israel Pre-party it was one of the best performances. Together with Georgia it was a pleasant surprise!

ZoboCamel

This one's been suddenly growing on me over the last week. Yes, it's kind of generic, but it's decently-produced, there's a good emotional feel to it and Claudia is consistently delivering live. Upgraded from a 4 to a 6 for now :)

JonnyWest

Very well performed, Claudia is a great singer, very classy. I wouldn't dismiss this for now tbh, you know Malta always do very well with the juries

ESCada

I still don't like the song tho
BUT

I love Claudia ...... I find her very ZEN.
Sure she can belt it out and is an amazing vocalist but this song ....... It's like a warm chamomile tea at 11 PM.
Makes me sleepy.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
The Italian version of the song has been released on Spotify :)

Hele.

Since very beginning I felt emotion of this song and believed in this song and so happy Claudia is proving its great potential on rehearsals in Kyiv and having so many positive reactions xheart
I believe she can qualify! :D

Milos-BC

This is one of the best ballads of the year for me :D And one of the best vocal performances as well. Actually, it is probably the best entry that Malta has sent since....well 2005 almost. I believe it has good chances to make it to the final.

7 points.

Hele.

Despite being outsider, this can qualify!! I believe in this song, its pure and honest emotion! xheart Good luck tonight Claudia! xcheer

Hele.

Claduia's performance was so beautiful moment of tonight's night. Moment of calm, moment of pure, honest emotion. Was hoping that it will be recognized. So sad this will miss the final. :( xcry1

Milos-BC

I really hoped that she will surprise :( A really beautiful ballad and she performed it amazingly as well. Despite this outcome, this is the best Maltese entry since 2005 for me personally. She can be proud of her performance.

Edward

This was a good ballad. But perhaps too ballad for current tastes. I can see this on level with Chiara back in the day though.

Didn't stained her family surname anyway. As didn't her brother over 10 years ago.

Realest

How can Malta choose this over Brooke? I think that 0 from the TV was a bit too much.

tuorem

My review of "Breathlessly":

-Malta is one of those countries that - since I started following the contest in 2009 - I've never been able to root for. They have a particular music style that just doesn't do anything to me. Last year, I carefully avoided calling "Walk On Water" their best entry because it was nothing more than a Swedish import. When I heard "Breathlessly" won, I was sad that we wouldn't hear the only song in Maltese we've had on offer in ages, but as soon as I discovered Faniello's effort during the semi, I changed my mind: it might have been in English, but it was the best song of their NF this year imo. "Breathlessly" remains within the purely classic Maltese ballads tradition, it doesn't push any boundary like everything Malta has been sending this decade, HOWEVER I surprised myself by actually enjoying it live. The composition is relatively lovely to listen to and tasteful enough not to cross the threshold of cheesiness, the arrangements come from another time - that's for sure - but that's a Maltese signature, kind of. Still, it kind of borders on genericness at times. I'm glad there isn't any big note or overpowering choir at some point, Claudia remains in control of the song without trying anything else than convey her message through emotions. I think it's a decent effort for what it claims to be, and would say it's my favourite Maltese entry ever, even though I have yet to genuinely fall in love with one their songs. The chorus is really lovely, somehow the melodic line of "Climbing over walls that always felt too high" reminds me of the evergreen "Colors Of The Wind" song from Pocahontas. Besides, I appreciate that the build-up of the song just relies on drums, giving it a pop-rock-ish feel. Pros: honest and modest song, nice melody during the chorus. Cons: it's not that super remarkable overall. It lacks an extra spark to be compelling within the framework of a pop-music-driven song contest like Eurovision.

To me the highlight is definitely the "Climbing over walls that always felt too high" part, which does bring back memories of the wonderful Pocahontas movie.

-Vocally, Claudia is probably the reason why this song existed and made it to the contest: her hoarse vocal tone is a delight and gives character to both her interpretation and song. She can deliver anytime and seems to always be sincere and emotional when singing. She's the opposite of Ira Losco the diva, she's just giving what she has with heart, without trying to be more than that, which I deeply respect. Her semi performance was emotional, well done.

-Visually, Malta kept it very simple, certainly not to drown the emotional potential of the song in pointless gimmicks. It was basically Claudia standing alone on stage and connecting to the camera. The stage was bathed in blue light for the most part, with occasional shots of her face and body from the official MV displayed on the led background. I wonder who had this idea, but like many acts this year, this "selfie" thing was a miss for me. I don't know if it wouldn't have looked better with less giant closeups, anyway I didn't feel like this was suitable for the song. Outfit-wise, Claudia wore a shining long white evening dress: it was nice enough but maybe a little bit too old-fashioned-looking to me.

-Results-wise, she was a definite non-qualifier to me from the start, and performing right before Romania put the final nail in the coffin. On one hand, she got zero points from the televoting - which was harsh but somehow understandable as I believe she got overshadowed and forgotten - and on the other hand, juries supported it, which isn't a surprise either because Malta is always favoured by them for some reason. In brief, 16th place in the semi was maybe not totally deserved, but quite expected imo. In my book, they would have been around 12th place in the semi I guess. Better luck next year guys, "Breathlessly" was a decent enough song, but from the very beginning, it was quite clear it would have difficulties standing out. See you next year :)

ESC94

Well, this was really among the weakest ballads in 2017. I was of course happy for Claudia Faniello that she finally made it to the ESC stage, but then I´m already done with the positive points.

First of all, "Breathlessly" was really boring and musically at least fifteen years to late with lyrics which also could have been lines from these very cheesy romantic novels. Then the stylists decided to make Claudia, who was 29 at that time, look like an aged diva in her late fourties. The worst thing about her peformance was the background: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to project a gigantic and moving picture of Claudias face?? If this was supposed to look impressive then I can tell you it totally failed ,in my opinion it was actually pretty creepy and disturbing. o_O

Vocally she really delivered, but even the best voice couldn´t save this snoozefest of a song. The big fat :0: from the televote was maybe a bit too harsh, but with :ro: performing directly after it wasn´t surprising that viewers forgot her, and :nl: singing very shortly after as well was also not helpful, as the Duch entry was also way more memorable.

I gave :1: to :mt: , she really did her best and sang perfectly, but everything else was just too old fashioned and boring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom