flag-800.png

Okay, I feel the rhythm
Something's going on here
The music flows through my veins

It's taking over me, it's slowly kicking in
My eyes are blinking and I don't know what is happening
I can't control it, don't wanna end it
There's no one here and I don't care
I feel it's safe to dance alone (dance alone)

Dance alone (dance alone), dance alone (dance alone)
Dance alone (dance alone), dance alone (dance alone)
Dance alone (dance alone), dance alone

Let's discoteque right at my home
It is okay to dance alone
Dance alone, dance alone (alone)
Dance alone (alone), dance alone (alone)
I got the moves, it's gonna blow

Dance alone, dance alone
Dance alone, dance alone

By dancing on my own
I'm healing wounded soul
My body's shaking, heart is breaking
Have to let it go
I need to get up and put my hands up
There's no one here and I don't care
I feel it's safe to dance alone

Dance alone, dance alone (alone)
Dance alone (alone), dance alone (alone)

Dance alone, dance alone
Dance alone, dance alone

It is okay to dance alone​

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluke

Alright, so i don't think this song is nearly as good as their previous one, which i think would have won, though many others seem to think this is even better already. Top 5 is definitely possible, but i wouldn't bet too much on it. The staging seems unfinished, but has some potential.

theditz83

Veteran
It was always clear to me that if The Roop won the ticket to ESC 2021, they were going to have a performance that went along the lines of "if it ain't ain't broke, don't fix it" and that's pretty much what I feel when watching Discoteque's performance.

In terms of the song, it has a slightly darker tone than "On Fire", especially the bass-heavy breakdown, but it's more of the same quirky electronica that won't win any new fans (if you didn't like "On Fire", it's highly unlikely that "Discoteque" will win you over to The Roop).

For me though, they have always been about the live performance and stage show, and while I appreciate the nod back to last year's entry (with the fan hand at the start for example) and a couple of sections raised a smile from me upon first play (facial expressions more than anything) I just get the overall impression that this won't have as much staying power in mind compared with "On Fire". Watching a second time, I was already a little bored halfway through since it is largely a copy-and-paste song and performance that is repeated in a different order for 3 minutes.

It still has a chance of being in my Top 10 this year as I do still enjoy the sound that The Roop is going for, but overall this one falls short of the experience they delivered last year. Any casual viewers that somehow missed the videos of "On Fire" last year might be more enthused, but for us Eurofans, this one is mid-table.

6 points for now xup

hawadharma

Congrats The Roop

Though the song is a major downgrade from "On Fire", the hype has not died down

Daybreak

I actually genuinely like it and it surpasses "On Fire" for me. I'd like to note I wasn't going to hype this no matter what just because it's The Roop returning, as I wasn't a big fan of their song last year other than wanting Lithuania to finally get a good result, and you might have noticed I'm also hardly one to go for novelty or meme songs. So this appealing to me was a bit surprising - but I did see their previous entry as having some substance beyond the gimmick, and although "Discoteque" is more flashy it applies here as well. It's more instant and the chorus is really catchy (some of the other parts a little less so); I appreciate how the song, its lyrics and the performance even have a (sort of) coherent theme, and the "dance alone at home" thing also serves as a justification for the goofy dancing. Bonus points for it being a fun song fitting the pandemic era.

Overall I feel like they managed to do an almost perfect job recapturing what made "On Fire" successful without being too much of a retread, while also taking notice of their memetic appeal and focusing on the staging/outfits/choreography more without going over the top.

Last edited:

MalagaToledo

Banned
6 guys (for now) voted 0 pt including me. I can already see that this will be most polarised entry. Their fans would adore them no matter what song they send cause they love the band. This might qualify for the final because of the overhype from last year but that's where they will end. As we are approaching esc, it will be More and more clear that lt United remains their best result with 6th place.

Franzilein

Glad to see another artist from 2020 returning – with another banger. Still believe he will achieve Lithuania's best result in the contest.

MAD20

:12: for Lithuania. The Roop were my winners last year (together with Bulgaria and Switzerland) and this year I also think they have good chances for a victory or at least a very good placing in the televote. I don't really know if I like Discoteque more or less than On Fire, but the coreography makes it a very enjoyable performance.

I was afraid Gebrasy would win the jury vote, because come on, in the first semi, would he even have qualified for the final? What matters here is that Lithuania, that has never won has a chance, and I will always be rooting a bit more for countries that have never taken the trophy home.

crashworld

Veteran
I was afraid Gebrasy would win the jury vote, because come on, in the first semi, would he even have qualified for the final?

Why not? We still don't know what the other countries are sending. Plus Gebrasy's song is jury friendly. I can see this getting high points from the jury.

The Roop lends itself mostly from the residual hype they got from last year. If The Roop and "On Fire" didn't get the hype, I doubt most people would rave about "Discoteque". It's an ok song at best. At this point, it feels like the popularity of the entry is because of the performer rather than because the song itself is good.

LontraCanadensis

This is infinitely better than last year's song was for me, but even a 1 is infinitely better than a 0 lol. This really was never gonna win me over if I'm being honest. The first time I was "On Fire" last year, I genuinely thought that I had watched a cringe, joke entry. Discoteque has some of that same energy cause the band leader can't help but be himself. I think I find the choreo less tryhard quirky than I did last year. The song itself is like...fine. Gets trapped in your head for about 10 minutes, then mercifully leaves 10 minutes thereafter. Even so, I think aspects of it will just always drive me a bit bonkers. The arm-waving just kind of reads desperate to me, and I really don't like the singers voice. The lyrics, especially in the second verse, really remind me of "Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears." Overall, I expected to hate this entry so much more than I do, but it's whatever. Maybe it's almost worse that it isn't polarizing in the way that "On Fire" was cause I think it might suffer for it. Oh well, here's my :3: points :)

tuorem

Will Danijela be doing the Discoteque dance moves in May?

Thank you for posting her reactions. xheart

If the Roop don't win in May, I hope Ana Soklič does because Europe would benefit from experiencing an Eurovision edition single-handedly presented by Danijela. She's by far the most dedicated Slovenian eurofan (with EscGeek ofc), and after all these years of preparation, she's really perfected her craft. Love her.

Romeo

In 2020 as soon as I saw 'The Roop' I would shudder and press skip. in 2021 I shudder less and give it a listen but still if this wins in may I will weep for humanity

tenor.gif

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
In other, more important news, Aiste Brokenleg's "Home" is on Spotify now.

Donata's "The way I am" is on Spotify too now, thanks to Ylva & Linda's courtesy (because, if it had depended on Donata we could have waited forever).

Only Martyna, Milita and Aldegunda are left.

Ianp16

Such a shame for The Roop. I think Discoteque is good but it doesn't hit hard on first listen like On Fire does. I've only really listened to them both casually, but I remembered the weirdness and melody of On Fire instantly, where Discoteque seems to take a while to take off.

Top Bottom