14 6.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Lithuania-scaled.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@RainyWoods

What do you think of the pic of Gabrielius Vagelis's Semi performance?
Is that girl in the pic, maybe the one from my signature? xcry

I feel I will personally love it but at the same time I'm a bit concerned. I think he needs to take the entry down a cool, perhaps darker neon soaked route to sell it. That looks very disco (which of course I love) but it could harm the entry.

BernadetteCydonia

Ok now that I cooled down the ferocious Nancy:

It's likely that Baltos Varnos will do well with juries again, unless suddenly they'll be tired of. Viktorija isn't liked again even with having translated a part of her song to her native tongue cuz ppl didn't like her English diction last time. Rūta and Alen might face difficulties qualifying. Gabrielius was kind of disliked by them already so I sadly guess his days are numbered? Aistė now, her performance was actually praised by the juries a bit, so I suppose she'll get a bit more support now? The Roop is The Roop, KaYra is KaYra, Kristina Jure is Kristina Jure.

Daybreak

Gurl. He lambasted people for putting Suus up as their favourite Albanian entry. (And for liking Ktheju tokës.)

I can surely bet that Boris for example agrees with this sentiment too, that Suus deserves lambasting, but maybe not the way the attitude needs to be handled? Can sometimes come across as too snobby and pretentious.

Well, I'm not particularly familiar with his opinions in general, that's why I said "as long as".

LastDreamer

Banned
In my head I like to imagine LastDreamer in the land of Lithuania right now with a suitcase of simcards, a box of chocolates and a wedding ring. It would be a great base for an epic Eurovision fan fiction.
It's epic !!! Stole this post for my signature.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
It's epic !!! Stole this post for my signature.

What an honourxheat This scenario will be you next year when your strawberries of YVA enter the race again to select Lithuania’s next Eurovision entry.

By the way, where does “Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen your YVA strawberries.” originate from? That is an epic quote too and paints such a good picture of your devotion to the girls and their music.

opinionsigotem

I agree with LastDreamer's feelings for modern music and have been criticised for sharing similar opinions in the Melodifestivalen topic, an NF which I for many, many years loved deeply and cared about. When you go from loving almost thirty songs to barely being able to find one or two to enjoy, it's frustrating, and I'm very open and will listen to all kinds of music.

A lot of pop music at the moment is a series of indistinguishable beeps and robotic wah wah wahs seemingly programmed for edgelord teenagers. I find it mostly all so charmless and I feel like these songs will age absolutely terribly. I would take LastDreamer's HouseWifeVision any day over the samey sounding cold burger bun with no meat but an alive fly instead songs of today.

Nah this is false equivalence. The Melfest stuff is all true, but it shouldn't be conflated with LastDreamer's militant disgust for anything resembling popular music, especially this "a lot of pop music at the moment" doesn't really apply to Eurovision national finals? Or at least not from the songs you've claimed to enjoy this season...x

LastDreamer

Banned
By the way, where does “Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen your YVA strawberries.” originate from? That is an epic quote too and paints such a good picture of your devotion to the girls and their music.
This quote is the first sentence. Lithuanian resident wrote it on Russian Eurovision forum in 2018 year.

Full post on Russian.
Дример, тебе нужно приехать в Литву и увидеть/услышать своих клубничек живьем. Думаю, они легко доступны, в смысле билеты недорогие на их концерты наверное. Если не в Литве, то в Лондоне в литовских клубах можно их увидеть с гастролями. Пока только территориально, но все же бывает YVA рядом с британскими хит-парадами.

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Well, Suus is my favourite Eurovision entry of all time (or close to being, for sure top 3) and I still get on with both Lastdreamer and Boris.

Yes but that's mostly your personality doing a lot of groundwork here. A lot of people, myself included, are cunts about their opinions. You never are, and that's a beautiful thing :-)

LastDreamer

Banned
I like to use Kat McSnatch songs for personal haters.

Daybreak

Yes but that's mostly your personality doing a lot of groundwork here. A lot of people, myself included, are cunts about their opinions. You never are, and that's a beautiful thing :-)

This reminds me, when I first read a couple of your posts (probably during the last ESC season) I thought you were some kind of a jerk lol. But yeah, often people do tend to be quite assertive about their opinions and biases, and I think the competitive aspect of Eurovision amplifies this even more - it pretty much invites you to argue over which song is the best or "deserves" a high place/pass to the final/whatever.

I've personally largely managed to move past it when discussing music (especially since in the past, I did often fall into this to the point that makes me cringe now*) and well, it's a given that if a song doesn't appeal to me it's still likely to have an audience that appreciates it. It's also partially why I've never been fond of turning music or other creative arts into sports-like contests or awarding the supposed "best" - it's inevitably subjective and it's after all impossible to "measure" the quality of songs objectively the same way as you would a race or who threw something the furthest.

*when I joined the first English forum in like 2004, I basically ended up telling people off simply for liking Hoobastank or Ashlee Simpson and stuff like that. I remember I legitimately couldn't comprehend that people didn't feel the same way about music than I did.xstars :lol:

HayashiM

Veteran
Could anyone please enlighten me, what is this whole issue with Kristina Jure and her sim cards? I am perhaps too aspie-ish to get it on my own: are there some genuine concerns she rigged the thing or is this just people bitching because they don't like her song?

LastDreamer

Banned
This scenario will be you next year when your strawberries of YVA enter the race again to select Lithuania’s next Eurovision entry.
I'm already want to read this story. ;)

njdevils94

Veteran
Could anyone please enlighten me, what is this whole issue with Kristina Jure and her sim cards? I am perhaps too aspie-ish to get it on my own: are there some genuine concerns she rigged the thing or is this just people bitching because they don't like her song?

This happens in Lithuania every year to some extent in the early shows but never really in the final. I remember Mar!ja Grabstaite after finding out she got nilled by the jury got her friends on social media to but get lots of simcards and push her televote up. She managed to get the audience's 12 that round and stayed in the competition.

Back on Kristina though yeah people expected Monique to match Monika Marija from the previous week and get over a 1000 votes. Monique only ended up with around 850 and Kristina with her old fashioned ballad got over 1050. Calling it rigged is stupid because it happens every year. Its just part of the selection but the big favorites won't be troubled by her in the long run. I expect she will be in the bottom 3 of this upcoming semifinal anyway and possibly the jury's last place.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
This reminds me, when I first read a couple of your posts (probably during the last ESC season) I thought you were some kind of a jerk lol.
Ha ha ha I can't blame you. I'm opinionated and brutally honest. But when people get to know me they find that the first impression they had of me are... actually completely true um abort convo abort abort ctrl alt delete ABORT.

It's also partially habit, at least for me. I've posted on message boards since 2008 and the ESCUnited forum is the most kind-hearted of them all by some margin. I really had to learn to stand up for myself and what I believe in. You live and you learn.

But yeah, often people do tend to be quite assertive about their opinions and biases, and I think the competitive aspect of Eurovision amplifies this even more - it pretty much invites you to argue over which song is the best or "deserves" a high place/pass to the final/whatever.
Certainly. I am always upset when Europe rejects my babies. :'( "Cake to bake" and "Työllki Ellää" are harmless and deserve love you heartless ghouls!! ;__;

I've personally largely managed to move past it when discussing music (especially since in the past, I did often fall into this to the point that makes me cringe now*) and well, it's a given that if a song doesn't appeal to me it's still likely to have an audience that appreciates it. It's also partially why I've never been fond of turning music or other creative arts into sports-like contests or awarding the supposed "best" - it's inevitably subjective and it's after all impossible to "measure" the quality of songs objectively the same way as you would a race or who threw something the furthest.
My preshow favourite entry has either NQ'd or done worse than expected every year since i started following the preshow except for last year ("Sebi" reaching 11th in the televote xheart33333333 so proud of them). It happens.

The casual audience doesn't think as deeply as we do. They either *get it* (within the first 10 seconds) or they don't, ever. This is why songs like "Telemóveis" were almost universally adored by fans, while the casuals had no clue what the fuck was going on (xheart)

As for rewarding the "best", this is always impossible. The enjoyment of music is 100% subjective. You could try some sort of pseudo-objective evaluation by marking points, but an intuitive ranking will always be more wholesome. The jury vote as it stands is a good example of this. It doesn't reward the best, but the lowest common denominator. Because it takes into account the whole ranking of each individual juror, it de facto rewards the entry that possesses the fewest flaws. (which is a different beast than the televote. You can't vote songs out of Eurovision. Just imagine if you could. Russia NQ'ing every year xheart33)

*when I joined the first English forum in like 2004, I basically ended up telling people off simply for liking Hoobastank or Ashlee Simpson and stuff like that. I remember I legitimately couldn't comprehend that people didn't feel the same way about music than I did.xstars :lol:

Same. Oh well, natural selection will take care of those.

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
The casual audience doesn't think as deeply as we do. They either *get it* (within the first 10 seconds) or they don't, ever. This is why songs like "Telemóveis" were almost universally adored by fans, while the casuals had no clue what the fuck was going on (xheart)

A year later, I still have no clue whatsoever :) People blame the staging, however Telemóveis has always been super niche no matter how you would have staged it.
But don't you people stone me just yet, it already happened, I had the exact same disappointment with Az én apám...

Top Bottom