10 7.0%

6 4.2%

9 6.3%

7 4.9%

16 11.2%

• Total voters

ES2011

Re: LATVIA 2018

The only two I'm considering are 'This Time' and 'Esamiba', in which Esamiba stands on a league of its own xbow
If Markus Riva manages to win this year, I would not be mad if it was this song, especially since we don't have to see him again at Supernova 2019 :lol:

NNR

Am I the only one who really doesn't get the hype over Esamiba?

My personal favourite is Funny Girl.

EscGeek

Veteran

Geborgenheit

The hype over Esamība is because it is in the Latvian language. I imagine if it would be selected, Latvia would not get out of the semi-final. And then Latvia will not send songs in Latvian for another 10-15 years.

EscGeek

Veteran

The hype over Esamība is because it is in the Latvian language. I imagine if it would be selected, Latvia would not get out of the semi-final. And then Latvia will not send songs in Latvian for another 10-15 years.

good argument :D
after i read it i went on wikipedia and found out it's the only song in latvian.. i don't pay any attention to languages, so i didn't notice it before xhmmm

AlekS

Veteran

If Portugal followed such idea they would never had this victory.

Latvia eliminated all of my faves so I'm gonna "hype"
hqg-52.gif

for Esamība I guess, because imo it's the best out of everything that's left.

Sean

Admin
Staff member

The YouTube channel with all of the online voting songs was taken down :( does anyone have copies of the songs?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Esamība sounds shockingly dull, and just simply awful. if it is hyped than I have to question peoples taste in music. There is nothing really memorable about it at all, it has the bonus of actually being better than the cut throat dross we got from Salvador this year which is quite possibly the worst winner ever and probably the most over hyped. To me this is just someone seeing Salvadors win and trying to copy it, but to a Latvian tune. It really doesn't matter if this song is sung in Latvian, English or through Egyptian hieroglyphics it still would be about as interesting as a damp cloth. I haven't listened to any other songs shortlisted here but I refuse to believe that this the best they have, if it is then Latvia please just withdraw and try again next year.

Just to throw my opinion on in there...

DaFlo

Banned

Esamība sounds shockingly dull, and just simply awful. if it is hyped than I have to question peoples taste in music. There is nothing really memorable about it at all, it has the bonus of actually being better than the cut throat dross we got from Salvador this year which is quite possibly the worst winner ever and probably the most over hyped. To me this is just someone seeing Salvadors win and trying to copy it, but to a Latvian tune. It really doesn't matter if this song is sung in Latvian, English or through Egyptian hieroglyphics it still would be about as interesting as a damp cloth. I haven't listened to any other songs shortlisted here but I refuse to believe that this the best they have, if it is then Latvia please just withdraw and try again next year.

Just to throw my opinion on in there...

This shade straight fire am living 🔥🔥🔥

Mrm

Veteran

MADARA(Madara Fogelmane) - "Esamība" is MAGICAL!

I hope it will be good live!

I love chello so much! xheart xlove

Is it in Latvian language? :)

Mrm

Veteran

I have heard three songs till now, and all are really great! This nf seems really fantastic! :) xbow

Monta — “1000 Roses”
Madara — “Esamiba”
Ritvars — “Who’s Counting“

Mrm

Veteran

This trash from Latvian NF in Spanish language has grown on me immensely! xlove xheart What a beautiful trash that is! xlove xheart I wouldn't mind it in Lisbon! :D

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]

You should check this trash! xlove xheart

Mrm

Veteran

soledad needs a revamp so it would become an original song :twisted:

i like it somehow

I like it how cheap it is now...if they revamp and polish it I'm not sure I'd like it.. :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

RainyWoods

You should check this trash! xlove xheart

tumblr_mmo3eqqdWf1rqrnlao1_250.gif

Also I love how Salvador invented violins and slow, minimal ballads:confused: [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] your comment reminds me of when people accused Cascada of jumping on the "Euphoria" bandwagon and trying to copy it. Of course, I respect that you don't like "Esamība" and "Amar Pelos Dois", but there's a whole world of music that exists outside of dance, pop and such the contest has favoured for years, and it doesn't deserve to be thrown all into the same box. Plus songs like "Esamība" have also been competing in NFs for years also. It's not the first time i've heard a minimal track like this in a selection. A quick search of Madara Fogelmane's name on youtube shows she's been making music exactly like her entry in this selection for a long time, and in my opinion, it sounds absolutely NOTHING like Salvador's music, so I don't think the accusation of her trying to be like a sort of Latvian version of last years winner makes sense. To me this is someone just making music they're passionate about and wanting to share it with people. I'm unsure I even think that much of the song myself, but it's going to be annoying if every relatively pretty, outside the typical Eurovision box piece of music gets accused of trying to ride Salvaor's coattails, as I fear might happen. I think you just wanted a moment to shade Salvador there and it's just a shame Mrm gave me an @ so I saw it and had to write back. Sorry x

On a lighter note, listen please to the song Mrm linked to me! You will love it Ashley, i'm 99.9999789% sure!:lol: Summer hit bop in Spanishxheat She'll need an Adelen style i've just made the final scream in her performance to get me on board though probably.

Mrm

Veteran

hahahahaha i loveboth Madara and Jenny May.. I don't like anything in the middle, in Lisbon must be pure quality like Madara or total trash like Jenny May...everything else to the bin!!

:D

NNR

Here's my brief reviews of the Supernova songs with ratings.

KEY:
5: absolutely love it, masterpiece, I'd vote for it
4: like it a lot, good song, might make my top 10 in ESC
3: it's okay, borderline qualifier for me
2: not a fan, probably non-qualifier for me
1: horrific, probably my last

Esamiba: I've said I don't get the hype about this. It's okay. Not amazing.
Rating: 2.5/5

Funny Girl: I love this so much. Everything about this is fantastic - the instrumental, the lyrics, Laura's sultry vocals. If this wins, it'll be my number one for 2018.
Rating: 5/5

Just Fine: It's a bit bleh, average really. No defining features.
Rating: 2/5

Intoxicating Caramel: She has really good vocals in this but I'm not a fan of the song.
Rating: 3/5

Lovers Bliss: This funky number has a lot of catchiness in the instrumental, but other than that there's not much to it.

More Than Meets The Eye: It's not a bad song, but not winner material. The duet parts are very good.

Morning Flight: This song just confuses me. I'm no fan.
Rating: 1.5/5

Oh Longriver: No. Just plain no. This song does not belong in Eurovision. I don't know where it belongs. But not here for sure.
Rating: -1/5

Pray: The lyrics in themselves are akin to Russia 2013, Russia 2014 and Russia 2015, all of which I found extremely overrated. I feel the same about this.

Running Red Lights: Not bad. This Swedish-Latvian songstress provides a blast of #SwedishPower in this song. Should get to the final.
Rating: 3.5/5

Soledad: I cannot stand this at all. It's a soulless attempt to ride the Despacito train, and I'm not buying it. Pure novelty, not even enjoyable to listen to.
Rating: 1/5

Sunset: Not my type of song, there's just a lot to unpack.

Stop The War U2: This song goes nowhere. The beat in itself isn't that bad, but the lyrics are repetitive and pure cliche.

This Time: Hmm, it's okay. The xylophones are a nice touch.

Walk The Talk: I like this a lot. It's infectiously happy, and I'd like to see it in the final.
Rating: 4/5

What I Had With You: When I heard Aminata was writing a song for Supernova, I expected something dark and edgy like Love Injected or Heartbeat. To say I was slightly underwhelmed would be an understatement. It's not bad, but it's not fantastic either.

Who's Counting: It's a bit dull. Not really the type of song I'd like to see in Eurovision.

You: This has a strange charm to it. The instrumental is strong, I like this.
Rating: 3.5/5

You Are My World: Not bad. A decent middle of the road pop entry.

Younger Days: This has a lot going for it. A good beat and some synth in there, and a catchy vocally mixed chorus. Top 3?
Rating: 4/5

1000 Roses: I'm not one for these kind of soft pop ballads, but as far as this one goes it's not that bad.

RANKINGS:
1. Funny Girl
2. Younger Days
3. Walk The Talk
4. Running Red Lights
5. You
6. This Time
7. What I Had With You
8. Intoxicating Caramel
9. You Are My World
10. More Than Meets The Eye
11. Lovers Bliss
12. Esamiba
13. 1000 Roses
14. Stop The War U2
15. Just Fine
16. Who's Counting
17. Sunset
18. Pray
19. Morning Flight
20. Soledad
21. Oh Longriver

kamc

^^
Where have people heard the full version of What I Had With You?
I would like a link please as I've only heard 30 seconds of it.

Top Bottom