Contact us

JESC 2021

EscGeek

Veteran
So the nigerian kings were the ones using vpn to vote from places like Kiribati and Nauru.
They have too much money because we started ignoring their emails. :ROFLMAO:

Dr J

Just when you thought the drama for JESC was over. :lol:

Sounds like a Nigerian prince scheme.

"An anonymous whistleblower has provided unproved claims [to whom?] . . . "

It's not journalism. It's . . . ????

I don't know if I'm allowed to write the word here but it has something to do with male bovine toilet habits . . .

And the Nigerian Intelligence reserved 2,000,000 phone numbers (if it's true, lol) but "Sary" got 400,000 votes and lost by 27,000.

Typical Nigerian efficiency, if it's true.

But . . . any more juicy gossip?

simonPL

I am not a big fan of JESC, because for me this is a little bit weird and creppy. It's hard to compare typical chidlish songs sung by little kids with professional hits by someone who is more like young adult (but still 14, lol).

But I checked all the songs and I was sure that it will be a fight between Armenia and Poland. "Qami Qami" is such a bop. Well deserved #1 place, but I live performance was weaker than studio version (vocally and visually). Sara's song is very good too, but for me not as much as Malena's one... anyway her performance was... WOW. I can't believe that I am saying this, but TVP delivered an amazing performance and Sara's voice is just wonderful.

So, based on the song - Armenia, based on performance - Poland.
I am glad Armenia won.

Joni

[Meanwhile, in Baku, there are reports that 43 people were detained by Azerbaijani security inquiring into why they voted for Armenia in JESC. Poor Sona! Let's hope she gets through the flak as well as Arpine did. On the other hand, apparently, after JESC 2018, the boy representing Armenia and the girl representing Azerbaijan took a photo together. I haven't found any evidence that they are not still safe and well.]
Oh man, that is just nuts...

Here is the famous photo from 2018

8rkCBZ2Bw74.jpg

Dr J

My avatar is Arina Pekhtereva, Belarus' representative to JESC 2020 for these reasons:

1. An excellent singer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fshKc8KQUM
2. Her song was the best I have ever heard and was written by a well-known OPPONENT of the Lukashenko dictatorship who has been detained more than once by Lukashenko's thugs.
3. She was unfairly punished in the televote by those who organised voting against her song because of the dictatorship, which she NEVER endorsed and sometimes made statements against like "I look forward to representing Belarus under a new flag": very courageous and dangerous thing to say!
4. A silent protest against EBU's exclusion of THE CHILDREN of Belarus, like Arina, NOT LUKASHENKO, from the JESC 2021 contest when the winner was an avowed supporter of Lenin, who was even worse than Lukashenko (just because Lukashenko never got as much scope as Lenin had to kill).

"The sky is crying . . . " - Arina​

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
There was never a rule. It was just a custom. Greenhousing started professionalisation and then everyone was doing professional songs and singer training/packaging. I am saying that now the former custom should be made the rule.
Actually I could be wrong (as I can't say I am the biggest fan or follower of jESC), but if I recall correctly (at least from earlier jESC) then at least officially the performers were supposed to have been co-written the entries.
Re cheating: you cannot tell whether a song is written by a child or by a professional? I know you can and so can everyone!
Is this a question to me or just general rhetorical? That's my point, in some entries you can obviously hear that they are made by adults, but the problem is how to actually prove it? Just claiming it because it sounds like it isn't proving it, thus delegations can still claim something else xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
I am not a big fan of JESC, because for me this is a little bit weird and creppy. It's hard to compare typical chidlish songs sung by little kids with professional hits by someone who is more like young adult (but still 14, lol).
Yeah, one of the obvious issues with the contest, you have these teenagers competing with adult-made entries against kids with actual kids-songs... it's just an odd playing-field

Dr J

Actually I could be wrong (as I can't say I am the biggest fan or follower of jESC), but if I recall correctly (at least from earlier jESC) then at least officially the performers were supposed to have been co-written the entries.
You don't know and I don't know if it was a rule or not. Maybe one of our seniors here can advise us.
Is this a question to me or just general rhetorical? That's my point, in some entries you can obviously hear that they are made by adults, but the problem is how to actually prove it? Just claiming it because it sounds like it isn't proving it, thus delegations can still claim something else xshrug
Having done a law degree, I can tell you that there is no law a human can write that another human with sufficient intelligence and determination cannot evade. Yet we must not give up trying because the alternative is anarchy.

First, the EBU should make the rule: no song is accepted for JESC if at least the lyrics are not written by the child who sings it. That is easy enough and will be sufficient in most cases. After all, this is Europe we are talking about and one of the cultural values of Europe is that most people are so law-abiding that they suffer from the EU. Law-evasion is not the national sport it is in many parts of the global south.

As for cheating, we have some tricks from law we can use. First of all, I think no professional writer would surrender his/her copyright and, if his/her name is on the song anywhere on the 'net, the song is, as President Clinton used to say, "a gone dog". Second, on the question of proving that the child really wrote the song, we can use what we call the burden of proof. The rule can read, "When any song is submitted for JESC, the submitting party shall satisfy the Registrar that the song, at least its lyrics, has been written exclusively by the child proposed to sing it." Then if the Registrar knows a song is written by adults but cannot prove it, the Registrar can reject the song and the submitting broadcaster must submit sufficient proof to show that the child wrote the song, whatever that may be in the circumstances. Finally, the many countries that make the children jump through 1,000 hoops first singing whatever they are told to sing (Georgia is a good example) and then "announce" a song for the winning child a few weeks later are all caught out. The children will have to bring their own songs to sing in the national selections so that the child and song are chosen as a unit. That is how we got the great winners in 2003-2010, 2012 and 2014. Broadcasters that use "internal selection" are going to feel like a virus under an electron microscope when they go to the Registrar, trying to prove that the child wrote the song and that the song was not internally selected separately from the child.

Last edited:

I bims

Veteran
First, the EBU should make the rule: no song is accepted for JESC if at least the lyrics are not written by the child who sings it.
That's a really stupid rule. You definitely could argue that both singer and songwriter should be under 15 years old but why would they need to be the same person?
Not every singer is a good songwriter. Not every songwriter is a good singer. And not every songwriter wants to be in the spotlight. It's totally reasonable to have these things seperate. You would exclude a lot of talented singers and amazing songwriters.

You would never demand of a baker to make their own flour but a singer HAS to write every song on their own? Singers can still connect to a song and perform it effectively without being the writer. And a singer can put their own twist on a song and interpret it in a different way that the writer could never achieve themselves.

Dr J

That's a really stupid rule. You definitely could argue that both singer and songwriter should be under 15 years old but why would they need to be the same person?
Not every singer is a good songwriter. Not every songwriter is a good singer. And not every songwriter wants to be in the spotlight. It's totally reasonable to have these things seperate. You would exclude a lot of talented singers and amazing songwriters.

You would never demand of a baker to make their own flour but a singer HAS to write every song on their own? Singers can still connect to a song and perform it effectively without being the writer. And a singer can put their own twist on a song and interpret it in a different way that the writer could never achieve themselves.
The rule is not stupid. What is stupid is to have an 11 year old like Tatyana Mezhentseva singing "Mon ami, feels like a fairytale, follow me, you will see, magic will happen tonight, imagine it, no one can stop us now," or Ike Mizzi and Kaya Gouder Curmi, the 10 year old "lovers", exchanging lines like "I got feelings that I never really felt in my life, so I started giving hints tryna show y'all, I'm the one for you, so we can do this right, so come a step closer, let me hold you" and "Don't tell me it's not real 'cause we're young." If it were not so disgusting, this packaging of children as romantic singers to make money might be laughable.

However, what is not stupid is your amendment to the rule. So long as the writer is under 15 too, this problem is less likely to arise. Your model is Ralf Mackenbach (2009, Netherlands) who won the JESC with a song written by his neighbour, also a child. So, I would accept your amendment.

Joni

Sure those lyrics are silly, especially those Tanya's lyrics bothered me... but I changed my mind a little bit about the Maltese lyrics when I heard the duo is actually "a couple" in real life :ROFLMAO: That's what they said in some interviews. Of course it still sounds silly (especially that let me hold you part) but I take it as a platonic puppy love thing that young kids can have, it can be "real" for them even though we adults find it odd.

AlekS

Veteran

Olena greeted everyone with Orthodox Christmas. They sound so well together. A duo for Vidbir pls.

Mainshow

Veteran
They all could go the Beyoncé or "Britney Jean" route and just buy some credits? - Technically, they could just add a child´s name as a songwriter after asking them to change a phrase or two :D

That rule wouldn´t change a single thing in JESC.

Dr J

Sara James (Poland 2021) auditioned for America's Got Talent tonight, she got the Golden Buzzer from Simon Cowell
Yes, it's great! Poland still has a lot of talent (like Roxana, Wiki and yes, even little Ala). I am not a great fan of AGT but they now have a better system than JESC. No way Sary will get defeated by 0.3% of the vote by a Communist under a fake name there!

Many are talking about "Ms James" (she's dropped the "Egwu-": I guess having a Polish winner is hard enough for Americans to swallow without knowing she's a Nigerian-Polish winner - her blonde mother features prominently there but her black father is nowhere to be seen - but there is a huge black voting bloc in AGT - ask Brandon Leake - she is squandering) as being in the lead there. Simon and Howie (judges) both announced that they were Polish (Sofia no puede and Heidi Gott in Himmel! - there are no American judges on "America's" Got Talent).

Absolutely, the repackaged "Sara James" deserves to win AGT, as she did in JESC (although I supported Macedonia I voted down ballot for her too and would have had no objections had she won beyond "OMG Polish hegemony is back!"). But on the other hand, Daneliya Tuleshova and Angelina Jordan deserved to win AGT's spin-off "The Champions", so I am not too sanguine. What is disappointing about AGT is that a lot of the singer vote refuses to watch any more so the contest is more and more like BGT, a place for magicians and danger artists who throw axes at Simon's head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDV9lh1dbo (darn, he missed!).

esc87fan

Sara has made the AGT finals along with French magician Nicolas Ribs. She will perform again for the title in 3 weeks

Top Bottom