Contact us

Italy should've been in the semi-final

FilipFromSweden

Last night Italy won the televote but Sweden took the trophy thanks to the juries. When I heard Italy's song I was impressed, but I was tired and I had already made up my mind that I liked Belgium better, so I voted for it.

That's why I think Italy lost. 20 of the 27 songs had the advantage of performing their song to the juries and the viewers twice. That makes it possible for the song to grow on viewers and the juries. This whole auto-qualification does nothing good to the big 5 countries, it's the straight opposite. And when it comes down to all: who cares if you're auto-qualified if you're left with 0-4 points in the final? I voted for Belgium because I had already seen and heard their song once, while I only saw Italy's once and it didn't get to grow on me as a voter.

Had Italy been in the semi-final I think it would've gotten even more televotes and probably won over more jury votes.

FoxOfShadows

There's a theory that songs do better from the semis because people have had time to listen to them and/or vote for them. I think the Big 5 (and host) should all perform in the semis but not be judged on it. Just for there to be something during the voting period. It allows voters to be more comfortable with the songs and therefore doesn't put them at a disadvantage come Saturday night

SuperGirl

There's a theory that songs do better from the semis because people have had time to listen to them and/or vote for them. I think the Big 5 (and host) should all perform in the semis but not be judged on it. Just for there to be something during the voting period. It allows voters to be more comfortable with the songs and therefore doesn't put them at a disadvantage come Saturday night

The big 5 have do much favour already. It's not fair to the other countries if they also should perform in semis without being judged.

LoveHate

This makes no sense because Italy won the televote anyway.

Yeah, this really doesn't add up. Surely the jury members have listened to the participating songs several times, whereas the casual viewer is less familiar with the songs. Yet, Italy was the public favorite.

blein

Just make top 5 go auto in finale next years... thats it...

JamieBrown

This makes no sense because Italy won the televote anyway.
xgood So did Germany in 2010 plus the jury voting, and France and UK got some Top 10 results around these years

I thought Italy won't win, because after 26 songs people are already tired like Filip and don't gave much attention, but that seems wrong. Also I don't think most viewers will listen to the songs twice, as the semifinals are not that popular like the 'Grand Final'. This thread seems pretty senseless tbh

macmillanandwife

Yeah I was thinking the same as well these past couple of editions. I was thinking that they should at least perform in the semi's but not be voted. They could be integrated with the running order of the semi's or performed every certain number of songs as an interval song (like every 4 songs in the first semi for example).

Top Bottom