E ti vorrei rubare un cielo di perle
E pagherei per andar via
Accetterei anche una bugia

E ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
E mi vengono i brividi, brividi, brividi​

Last edited by a moderator:

lacrymea

And still no 3 minute version.

Why is it so seemingly hard for Italy to follow the rules that pretty much every other country has no problem with, yet they fail almost every year. Pure arrogance, that's what. They think they are somehow more important than other countries and the rules aren't for them.

I'm surprised i haven't heard of them possibly getting banned or somehow punished for their repeated infractions and general disregard for how the ESC works. I seriously think it should be considered soon. I wouldn't miss them, any more than Russia.
Getting banned for not delivering a cut version within your own personal time frame, when they're well into the schedule? And then casually comparing them to Russia? Really?

I've read some absurd comments in this forum lately. But this probably takes the crown.

Anyway, still my favorite entry this year ❤️

nudiecrudi

Why is it so seemingly hard for Italy to follow the rules that pretty much every other country has no problem with, yet they fail almost every year. Pure arrogance, that's what. They think they are somehow more important than other countries and the rules aren't for them.

I'm surprised i haven't heard of them possibly getting banned or somehow punished for their repeated infractions and general disregard for how the ESC works. I seriously think it should be considered soon. I wouldn't miss them, any more than Russia.
@Matt
Is it possible that we have to read messages like this in ESC Forum?

Chiarina

The 3 minutes version has already been presented to the EBU as stated by the rules and Mahmood and Blanco has recorded their live on tape video last week with that version. Nowhere it is stated that the 3 minutes version needs to be released to the public prior to the contest.
Still I think it's a bit extreme to ask for Italy to be banned from the contest like Russia (which, should I remind you, has been banned for invading Ukraine) just because in Sanremo songs can be 4 minutes and you don't like to wait until the contest to hear the cut version.

A-lister

Veteran
My review:

Everyone is raving about this one, but while I like Mahmood in general and think "Soldi" would have been a deserving winner, this song doesn't do it for me, it's more a standard "Italian-Sanremo ballad" which we normally would get from Italy to Eurovision (before they started to shake things up). It's not a bad song and it is definitely a grower, but it is a bit boring no? A sequel winner for Italy? Nah

yulara

Gave it 1 point because no song deserve a 0 but what a deception... Soldi was so good and Mahmood is so innovative, but this one ?no, it's definitely a no for me. Just have the feeling to get back 40 years ago with Eros Ramazzotti and his rattle voice... I realy don't like it. For me one of the worst italian entry ever.

Jonkonfui

I dont want Chanel to win. I want her to get a tight second place but not to win.
About being several phobics... Fine with me.
The 50 million whatever fine with me too.
Brividi pffff. Boooring. But it is ok, i am glad you like it but it is sooo cheesy...

nudiecrudi

My review:

Everyone is raving about this one, but while I like Mahmood in general and think "Soldi" would have been a deserving winner, this song doesn't do it for me, it's more a standard "Italian-Sanremo ballad" which we normally would get from Italy to Eurovision (before they started to shake things up). It's not a bad song and it is definitely a grower, but it is a bit boring no? A sequel winner for Italy? Nah
From 2011 we normally didn't get the Italian Sanremo ballads that much. We got only 2 times, Essenziale and Fai rumore, that kind of style as you defined it. Up to 12 songs only 2 are of that genre. Brividi is completly different. It's a contaminated modern urban ballad with parts of rap. It has never been a song similar to this in Sanremo.

A-lister

Veteran
From 2011 we normally didn't get the Italian Sanremo ballads that much. We got only 2 times, Essenziale and Fai rumore, that kind of style as you defined it. Up to 12 songs only 2 are of that genre. Brividi is completly different. It's a contaminated modern urban ballad with parts of rap. It has never been a song similar to this in Sanremo.

I think Brividi isn't that much different, it just has a slightly different package but I expected a more modern and fresh sound by Mahmood, this is too much of a compromise imho.

nudiecrudi

I think Brividi isn't that much different, it just has a slightly different package but I expected a more modern and fresh sound by Mahmood, this is too much of a compromise imho.
But Brividi has a modern and fresh sound compared to what we usually define classic Italian ballad. Maybe it's difficult for a non Italian to understand the differences. All the Italian members of this forum can confirm the huge difference between Brividi and a tipical Italian ballad, beyond their personal tastes.

A-lister

Veteran
But Brividi has a modern and fresh sound compared to what we usually define classic Italian ballad. Maybe it's difficult for a non Italian to understand the differences. All the Italian members of this forum can confirm the huge difference between Brividi and a tipical Italian ballad, beyond their personal tastes.
I have ears

midnightsun

Veteran
But Brividi has a modern and fresh sound

I didn’t like the song initially, then it grew a bit on me only to fade again.
As much as I want to like it because the emotion in it is great (and undoubtedly the best part in it, both Mahmood and Blanco are doing a great job here) it is anything but modern and fresh. It’s too polished and safe and lacks any highlight other than the two people acting the hell out of it (in a good way). And I‘m a sucker for Italian ballads but I wish they would have chosen something more traditional. I can’t believe, people accuse Poland, Azerbaijan, Greece and more of being soulless generic ballads but celebrate Brividi at the same time. It’s top ten worthy for sure but top 3 would be a bit too much (though I can see this ending up there because I know people's taste).

A-lister

Veteran
Not only you. 🤣
Point is, I hear what I hear, I don't need to be from Italy lol

I'm not saying it's a classic Italian ballad, but it's more in that field of the type of male ballads you sent to Eurovision than what we would normally get from Mahmood.

Zerocalcare

As much as I want to like it because the emotion in it is great (and undoubtedly the best part in it, both Mahmood and Blanco are doing a great job here) it is anything but modern and fresh. It’s too polished and safe and lacks any highlight other than the two people acting the hell out of it (in a good way). And I‘m a sucker for Italian ballads but I wish they would have chosen something more traditional. I can’t believe, people accuse Poland, Azerbaijan, Greece and more of being soulless generic ballads but celebrate Brividi at the same time. It’s top ten worthy for sure but top 3 would be a bit too much (though I can see this ending up there because I know people's taste).
You write that "Brividi" is anything but modern and fresh and then go on to say that you would like something more traditional? It does not make sense. It seems to me an apology for the songs from Azerbaijan, Poland, the Netherlands and Greece that are probably in your Top 10. For me, personally, it is easy to recognize the strength of a song without making excuses to devalue one other. The Netherlands, the UK, Switzerland, Portugal, Armenia, Cyprus all these sweet tunes are in my Top 10. It's a year full of soulful ballads and songs and it's normal for some to stay out of ours Top 10. For example Poland, even if it's out of my Top 10 I really like it and I think it's a very modern and upbeat ballad. I never thought it was dated; maybe I just thought it had a very small assonance with "Arcade" (which is not to be seen as a shame). Going back to Mahmood and Blanco and avoiding comparisons with other songs, what does it mean that the song is too refined? Can a song be refined when rap is present and when the rapper expresses himself in a colorful way (translate Blanco's words)? However, staying on this refined trail we should also hate Jazz music or if we want to consider a specific artist, John Legend's songs. The construction of "Brividi" is very complex and it is a sound that has never been listen at the Eurovision Song Contest. We are faced with a song that blends Rap with romantic singing, which mixes the urban atmosphere with the concept of boundless love and a male duet that is wrapped by a dreamlike sound. We are facing the same scenario of the Måneskin who imitated Glam Rock and did not like them and today... everyone praises their success and we understand that they brought the revolution on the stage of the Eurovision Song Contest. I read A-lister talking about typical Italian ballad... it wasn't even a typical Italian ballad "Grande Amore" that renewed the voices of the Opera in a new form. Then he doesn't understand that "Hold Me Closer" (which I like) could be called a typical ballad.

Last edited:

Zerocalcare

I'm not saying it's a classic Italian ballad, but it's more in that field of the type of male ballads you sent to Eurovision than what we would normally get from Mahmood.
Can you give me an example of typical male ballads that could be compared to Mahmood's 2022 style? "Grande Amore" or "L'Essenziale"? 😆 A cat shouldn't climb mirrors 🤭

nudiecrudi

It's all about the connection you create with a song, a verse, a situation, a movie or a book. You have tried to connect with Brividi but it didn't function. That's it. I have the same problem with Hold me closer. Much more connected to Netherlands or Greece, ballads talking.
Considering the huge galaxy of ESC fans I'm not wondered why Sweden is so high in different rankings.
Obviously I'm not saying that Brividi is going to win. Top 5 would be perfect, top 3 a miracle. Anyway considering all our rankings since 2011, we miss a 4th, 8th and 10th place ( talking about top 10). Who knows what will happen.

hzalfa

I get your point, but the idea that the song is not true to Mahmood's style that's kind of implied in your post (and that was stated explicitly by other users way back in this thread) is wrong, especially because it doesn't take Blanco's own style into consideration. The song sounds exactly like a mix of Mahmood's ballads "T'amo" and "Rapide" with Blanco's only ballad "Blu Celeste", maybe it leans more towards the latter with the piano and all, but that's understandable considering that it was produced by Michelangelo, Blanco's music producer.
Obviously Blanco's music is not as known among Eurofans as Mahmood's, but taking him out of the picture gives a distorted view of the song's style in relation to the singers.

Mainshow

Veteran
For the Eurovision edit, M&B had to shorten the final chorus:

Instead of hearing the full chorus:

Nudo con i brividi
a volte non so esprimermi
e ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
e ti vorrei rubare un cielo di perle
e pagherei per andar via,
Accetterei anche una bugia
e ti vorrei amare ma sbaglio sempre
e mi vengono i brividi, brividi, brividi.

The song has now been cut to provide a shortened final chorus of:

Nudo con i brividi
a volte non so esprimermi
e ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
e mi vengono i brividi, brividi, brividi.

Top Bottom