Ma sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro
E tu sei fuori di testa, ma diversa da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro

Noi siamo diversi da loro​

Last edited by a moderator:

nudiecrudi

Not inventing anything, and being left-wing doesn't mean anything tbh

But one can focus on the "negative" in a message and ignore the fact that I actually praised the selection and also said that it's moving in the right direction, or did you miss that I started out with saying that I wish that my own country's selection would be more like Sanremo?
Yes you praised it, but after that you pointed something not true.
Juries, quality and demoscopic, are both made by men and women equally. Being left oriented means more attention about gender questions, social problems etc.
About being old fashioned, you may be right. Until 2000 Sanremo was on line with the current principal genres in Italy, maybe during the next 10 years it has been a bit of discrepancy. That's it, nobody is perfect. Even Sweden presented 2 years in a row a pop gospel song, which isn't the most innovative genre. 😍

sucof

Erm what. Eastern Europe happens to be in Europe as well, it's not some sexist wasteland, you know.
let's say that when you think of Orban, Putin etc. think of eastern europe. :-), I generalized-
Yes in europe, sorry

Mrm

Veteran
let's say that when you think of Orban, Putin etc. think of eastern europe. :-), I generalized-
Yes in europe, sorry
Hungary is old European culture? Have yo ever been there? Do you know anything about AustroHungary at all, it's culture and so on?
Hungary is not Orban, AustroHungary existed for centuries, Orban "exists" few years.. lol

sucof

guys don't crucify me! I'm just talking about their leaders who are actually somewhat sexist and can influence public opinion in their country for better or for worse, like trump in the united states
The country, the culture and the people are and one more thing fortunately.
I expressed myself badly!
I come from a country that is the world homeland of the stereotype, where they think we are all mafia and we talk like super mario!

Last edited:

sucof

Hungary is old European culture? Have yo ever been there? Do you know anything about AustroHungary at all, it's culture and so on?
Hungary is not Orban, AustroHungary existed for centuries, Orban "exists" few years.. lol
northeastern Italy was Austro-Hungarian, i know .

:):):)

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
guys don't crucify me! I'm just talking about their leaders who are actually somewhat sexist and can influence public opinion in their country for better or for worse
The country, the culture and the people are and one more thing fortunately.
I expressed myself badly!
I come from a country that is the world homeland of the stereotype, where they think we are all mafia and we talk like super mario!

Fair enough, but Western Europe or the western world at large has its own share of sexist leaders with authoritarian tendencies.

Funny enough, in some Eastern European countries such as my own, some of the issues regarding gender discrimination (for example gender pay gap or the so-called "glass ceiling") are not much of a problem. It's just annoying to stereotype half the continent and look down on it, not to mention to be lumped together with Orban and Putin.

Back to the thread on hand, I think Sanremo does not have a gender problem, the winners have been pretty diverse tbh.

A-lister

Veteran
Yes you praised it, but after that you pointed something not true.
Juries, quality and demoscopic, are both made by men and women equally. Being left oriented means more attention about gender questions, social problems etc.
About being old fashioned, you may be right. Until 2000 Sanremo was on line with the current principal genres in Italy, maybe during the next 10 years it has been a bit of discrepancy. That's it, nobody is perfect. Even Sweden presented 2 years in a row a pop gospel song, which isn't the most innovative genre. 😍

I mean women can also be "sexist", but of course things might have changed in Sanremo over the years and if I am mistaken then I admit that I am wrong, but from my understanding the juries have often been pretty conservative leaning and more modern entries and also females have been underrated, but as I said things have clearly gotten better lately (although the top. 3 in 2020 was very conventional and male).

Oh, I already said that Melodifestivalen should look at modern Sanremo for inspiration, so obviously I am not so happy with what we have to offer :lol:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
There's a gender bias in both Sanremo and Melodifestivalen and whoever doesn't see it is just living in denial. Just like there are other countries with a clear gender bias as well when they select their artists for ESC. All these countries need to withdraw from ESC asap.

Il conte di Montecristo

Scattered thoughts of the evening:

Starting from talking about music and falling into stereotypes, gender differences and political thoughts is a very unpleasant thing.

For those who desire a Melodiefestivalen similar to the Sanremo Festival instead, I just don't understand it. Why want to have a selection like ours if, logically, we are always defined as the forge of the "old ballads" and able to almost never win? The Melodiefestivalen is a much more popular and heartfelt event than our Festival, the time covers more than a month of exciting battles and the format of the songs is tested just ... to break the ESC xviolinx12points

Italy is the least of the problems. We are unlikely to win the Eurovision Song Contest anytime soon. Not because we don't care, as we did in the past (I avoid the long explanation), but because we're not ready. Thanks to the European contest we are "changing our clothes". Let's compare Sanremo with the ESC, looking at them they seem to belong to two different generations: mother and son; one is still a slave to that high-profile, for adult and theatrical setting, the other is dynamic, vital, young and captivating. Until we have modernized our format by inserting more dynamism and bringing the young audience closer to Sanremo (look at the audiences full, on average, of people aged 40 and over and seated in an orderly manner), all our attempts will be unsuccessful (as happened in 1990). In Italy we only had the "FestivalBar", we have the "WMA" and some shows like "The Voice" and "X Factor" but they are not comparable to the power of the ESC. We are still anchored in traditions and in part I do not mind. It is wonderful, in Sanremo, to have an orchestra of masters accompanying the songs. There are always pros and cons in things xshrug

We just have to perform and enter the "Top 10". We are not your opponents xkiss Mmm... We have rock, blues, rap, catchy, romantic, "regional" songs (Neapolitan music above all) etc... Maybe that's what's scary? xthink Or maybe it scares us that we always sing in our language? xthink Yet ... fascinating or not, it is the English language that sells the most in the world...xthink I still do not understand... What I know is that we Italians do not deserve Achille Lauro and Elettra Lamborghini. Abroad, they would be referred to as big as "The Roop" or "Go_A" :lol:

nudiecrudi

I mean women can also be "sexist", but of course things might have changed in Sanremo over the years and if I am mistaken then I admit that I am wrong, but from my understanding the juries have often been pretty conservative leaning and more modern entries and also females have been underrated, but as I said things have clearly gotten better lately (although the top. 3 in 2020 was very conventional and male).

Oh, I already said that Melodifestivalen should look at modern Sanremo for inspiration, so obviously I am not so happy with what we have to offer :lol:
I think it's a question of meritocracy. Simply the gurls didn't have winning songs.
On the other hand you know very well that the winner of Sanremo is a combination of a three voting system, the most articulated and fair system in Europe, hundreds of jurors evolved changed every night, music experts, journalists and the public.
In some national selections I've seen members of Wiwiblogg as jurors!!! Terrible

sucof

@Il conte di Montecristo

your speech could have been fine 10 years ago, but sanremo has changed, last year young people were the ones who saw the festival the most (auditel data) pushed by social media on the internet.
Sanremo will never be a melodiefestivalen and vice versa, sanremo is unique in good and bad, like it because it is done like this, because it tastes from the back, because there is the orchestra, because there are clothes in the evening, because there are flowers! :-)
If it were as you say X factor Italy (second, as a production, is much better than melodiefestivalen) would have more plays than Sanremo every year, instead it is not so, xfactor falls and sanremo rises in the ratings.
I also admit that it is something miraculous

A-lister

Veteran
Scattered thoughts of the evening:

Starting from talking about music and falling into stereotypes, gender differences and political thoughts is a very unpleasant thing.

For those who desire a Melodiefestivalen similar to the Sanremo Festival instead, I just don't understand it. Why want to have a selection like ours if, logically, we are always defined as the forge of the "old ballads" and able to almost never win? The Melodiefestivalen is a much more popular and heartfelt event than our Festival, the time covers more than a month of exciting battles and the format of the songs is tested just ... to break the ESC xviolinx12points

Italy is the least of the problems. We are unlikely to win the Eurovision Song Contest anytime soon. Not because we don't care, as we did in the past (I avoid the long explanation), but because we're not ready. Thanks to the European contest we are "changing our clothes". Let's compare Sanremo with the ESC, looking at them they seem to belong to two different generations: mother and son; one is still a slave to that high-profile, for adult and theatrical setting, the other is dynamic, vital, young and captivating. Until we have modernized our format by inserting more dynamism and bringing the young audience closer to Sanremo (look at the audiences full, on average, of people aged 40 and over and seated in an orderly manner), all our attempts will be unsuccessful (as happened in 1990). In Italy we only had the "FestivalBar", we have the "WMA" and some shows like "The Voice" and "X Factor" but they are not comparable to the power of the ESC. We are still anchored in traditions and in part I do not mind. It is wonderful, in Sanremo, to have an orchestra of masters accompanying the songs. There are always pros and cons in things xshrug

We just have to perform and enter the "Top 10". We are not your opponents xkiss Mmm... We have rock, blues, rap, catchy, romantic, "regional" songs (Neapolitan music above all) etc... Maybe that's what's scary? xthink Or maybe it scares us that we always sing in our language? xthink Yet ... fascinating or not, it is the English language that sells the most in the world...xthink I still do not understand... What I know is that we Italians do not deserve Achille Lauro and Elettra Lamborghini. Abroad, they would be referred to as big as "The Roop" or "Go_A" :lol:

Actually, you do pretty well in Eurovision so I am not sure I agree with this? It's true that Sanremo has been quite conservative leaning, but things are changing, and you should take pride in that your entries aren't trying to cater to Eurovision but rather stay true and this is why I think Italy actually is comparably successful in ESC because you come across as authentic, the songs actually represent the artists and the Italian music scene and if more countries would follow lead (Sweden included), Eurovision would be so much better. Remember that one of the few cross-over hits from Eurovision in the past decade was Mahmood's "Soldi", so no you don't need English either, you just need good real stuff that isn't purposely produced for Eurovision in mind.

As for my comment about Melodifestivalen, is not to make it a copy of Sanremo, there are pros and cons with both selections, I refer mostly to the quality of entries and that Sanremo way more than Melodifestivalen is a way of promoting local music wheres Melodifestivalen is kinda disconnected to the actual music scene in Sweden... if you think that what you see there is a good representation of actual contemporary Swedish music then you're mistaken. The day Melodifestivalen will have something as contemporary and cool as Mahmood, Elodie, Rancore, Elettra Lamborghini to name a few instead of these fabricated MF songs that has little connection to our contemporary music scene, i'd be more than happy!

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I think it's a question of meritocracy. Simply the gurls didn't have winning songs.
On the other hand you know very well that the winner of Sanremo is a combination of a three voting system, the most articulated and fair system in Europe, hundreds of jurors evolved changed every night, music experts, journalists and the public.
In some national selections I've seen members of Wiwiblogg as jurors!!! Terrible

No one will even convince me Elodie didn't have a winning entry #Justice4Elodie , it was one of the most contemporary and well produced entries of any national selection last year...

Anyhow, like I said I see Sanremo as an inspiration yet, it is still a bit conservative leaning but again I see good progress in the last years.

Omg the Wiwibloggs jurors are a mess, don't even remind me of that :lol:

Il conte di Montecristo

@Il conte di Montecristo

your speech could have been fine 10 years ago, but sanremo has changed, last year young people were the ones who saw the festival the most (auditel data) pushed by social media on the internet.
Sanremo will never be a melodiefestivalen and vice versa, sanremo is unique in good and bad, like it because it is done like this, because it tastes from the back, because there is the orchestra, because there are clothes in the evening, because there are flowers! :-)
If it were as you say X factor Italy (second, as a production, is much better than melodiefestivalen) would have more plays than Sanremo every year, instead it is not so, xfactor falls and sanremo rises in the ratings.
I also admit that it is something miraculous
I agree with what you tell me. However, we are still in the evolution phase. Before investing in the ESC we still have to test something. Until then we will compete "for free" at other people's homes and ... we will always be in the final (except for extreme crying that will change the rules). Our musical diversity, style, unshakable faith in our language seem to scare many ... I would not be scared indeed, I would be happy that the ESC increases its level of competitiveness.

nudiecrudi

No one will even convince me Elodie didn't have a winning entry #Justice4Elodie , it was one of the most contemporary and well produced entries of any national selection last year...

Anyhow, like I said I see Sanremo as an inspiration yet, it is still a bit conservative leaning but again I see good progress in the last years.

Omg the Wiwibloggs jurors are a mess, don't even remind me of that :lol:
I agree with you about Elodie, I liked the song a lot, but she wast even top three with one of the juries. Even the public wasn't convinced enough.
Diodato kicked all the boxes and convinced all the juries. It wasn't the most contemporary option but he's like a classic taylor and that classic dress was almost perfect. Everyone is hailing the French song this year, very classic, typical French but beautiful.
I think that being always contemporary could confuse, variety could be a balanced option.

A-lister

Veteran
I agree with you about Elodie, I liked the song a lot, but she wast even top three with one of the juries. Even the public wasn't convinced enough.
Diodato kicked all the boxes and convinced all the juries. It wasn't the most contemporary option but he's like a classic taylor and that classic dress was almost perfect. Everyone is hailing the French song this year, very classic, typical French but beautiful.
I think that being always contemporary could confuse, variety could be a balanced option.
Which makes me question the juries again...

I agree, I am all for diversity, and if something is competent and timeless then it can be just as good of an option, the problem occurs rather when the more contemporary stuff is almost always being tossed to the side in favor of these let's call 'em "classic" or "timeless" entries, when it comes systematic.

Il conte di Montecristo

Actually, you do pretty well in Eurovision so I am not sure I agree with this? It's true that Sanremo has been quite conservative leaning, but things are changing, and you should take pride in that your entries aren't trying to cater to Eurovision but rather stay true and this is why I think Italy actually is comparably successful in ESC because you come across as authentic, the songs actually represent the artists and the Italian music scene and if more countries would follow lead (Sweden included), Eurovision would be so much better. Remember that one of the few cross-over hits from Eurovision in the past decade was Mahmood's "Soldi", so no you don't need English either, you just need good real stuff that isn't purposely produced for Eurovision in mind.

As for my comment about Melodifestivalen, is not to make it a copy of Sanremo, there are pros and cons with both selections, I refer mostly to the quality of entries and that Sanremo way more than Melodifestivalen is a way of promoting local music wheres Melodifestivalen is kinda disconnected to the actual music scene in Sweden... if you think that what you see there is a good representation of actual contemporary Swedish music then you're mistaken. The day Melodifestivalen will have something as contemporary and cool as Mahmood, Elodie, Rancore, Elettra Lamborghini to name a few instead of these fabricated MF songs that has little connection to our contemporary music scene, i'd be more than happy!
A-lister, Sweden is unlikely to change their way of making music. It is too risky and it takes too long. It is since the days of ABBA (true gods of music) that you have stopped experimenting (perhaps, only John Lundvik dared and failed). That said, would you be ready to bring a new, soulful and captivating musical genre every year and never win?

Now let's go and see the songs that Italy has brought in recent years, yet we are accused of bringing only "old ballads":

* Madness of Love (Pop / Jazz);
* Out of Love (R&B);
* L'essenziale (Pop);
* La mia città (Pop Rock);
* Grande Amore (Classic Crossover);
* No Degree of Separation (Pop);
* Occidentali's Karma (ElectroPop);
* Non mi avete fatto niente (Folk Pop);
* Soldi (Contemporary R&B);
* Fai Rumore (Ballad).

You have to decide whether to be liked for good music or to win the contest. You have 6 ESCs won and we have 2. Better keep on your way. Unless… you don't want to steal our “Top 10” record.

Anyway, explain to me why we are admired but ... but as soon as we present a song to the ESC, hostile criticisms come out? Let's take an example, Barbara Pravi's song, in a certain sense, reflects Diodato's “Fai Rumore”. Have you seen any vehement and offensive attacks on “Voilà” this year?

Finally, we avoided giving Rancore a chance because it didn't have a high impact song like Mahmood's "Money". If we had avoided bringing Elodie it is because we would have had to deal with other disco-catchy songs and we would have been penalized for having "nothing new under the sun", we do not have strong political power (capable of bringing Benjamin Ingrosso in "Top 10 "…) And we don't sing in English. You don't have to focus only on the singers but on the strategy of our country from 2011 to today (always winning except ... when we trusted a "song for the ESC" by Michielin and a pupil of "Italian Oprah Winfrey" Maria De Filippi, or Emma Marrone) We are lucky enough to be able to fish from a basket full of alternatives and we use t xshrug

Last edited:
Top Bottom