13 3.0%

3 0.7%

8 1.9%

12 2.8%

6 1.4%

30 7.0%

• Total voters

musicfan

Hahah same here... what makes me super pissed is not the fact that Italy came 6th, but that Robin did better than Francesco. I will not get over that fact anytime soon. What the eff, juries?!

They finished 5th last year with a worse song than that so I don't know why you're surprised.

cassio

I don't understand why Italy came 6th and not 3ed either. However some people here in Denmark don't understand how Portugal could win Denmark gave Portugal 5 points in the tele-voting And some people can't understand why Denmark nearly didn't qualified for the final ............ so Everything like usual here... and that means of coarse Italy wins in Lisbon and Denmark flops again which will be jet another surprise for us Danes only

Dark

Occidentali's Karma was my favourite song of this Eurovision edition. I was supporting Portugal because it's my country and I really loved the music, but I also would be incredibly happy is Italy won. However, the truth is that the live performance was really disappointing... it just had to much crap happening on stage. The Reno's performance was great because the focus was on Francesco and the music, but the stage in the finals looked too goofy, and I think that was what turn people off. Also, the Eurovision version of the song killed the song (in my opinion), it had way too much chorus for the leght of the song (and the volume of the voice was too loud).

Anyway, I think he should have been 2nd, I love the music, have it on my phone and I'll be hearing it for a very long time.

Good job Italy!

genreJake09

I can understand that it landed behind :pt: :bg: and even Memelords :md:, but :se: and :be:? Really? I mean seriously?

I know, Italy should of finished in the top 5, hark back to the what I said about the standard was deceptive this year. I don't think sweden or belgium (because the song was not as good live plus blanche was as not comfortable on stage) should of finished in the top five or top six. where they finished relative to Flashlight for poland or Requiem for france it appears like it is justified. those songs finished where they are because and not because of the public though..

genreJake09

Did you check the dislikes in the Portuguese video? If you haven't, let me tell you: 20k
It's obviously a love-hate song.
The people who love it had it in their 1st place, but the people who hated it had it at their 42th (like me)
And for me, a song that thousands of people put in their 42th isn't worth winning.
This will remain the most forgettable winner of the decade.
Even below Azerbaijan.

El and Nikki is actually one of the most memorable for me, I only really started watching eurovision in 2007, I think you have a massive point though. could some of those 20k be russians who are jealous?

Ezio

Veteran
Just rewatched the Eurovision performance. Unfortunately, it was much less pleasant than San Remo or the music video. He was like a fidgeting fish out of the water on stage, missing many notes. The background choir did not help him a lot neither, the backdrop was all over the place. The most enjoyable thing was the Gorilla, which was hilarious.

Italy threw away a golden opportunity.

cegs5

I want to highlight the intachable behaviour of Francesco during the whole Eurovision season, especially those last days in Kyiv. He's sucha a professional and charming artist, never took for granted his winning but always grateful for the good reviews. I was never a fan of his song neither the staging, but I kudos for his humble attitude during the competition.

Unfortunately for him, I think he was poorly advised. I found the Italian stage trying too hard, messy and cliché. What was the reason behind the rainbow ribbons? Who thought that could be a good idea? Maybe I missed the meaning of it, but as viewer it appeal to me like a desperate way to catch LGTBi votes or a pro LGBTi statement... perhaps the intention was different but that's how many viewers might have got it.

In any case, Francesco will remain as one of the most charismatic Eurovision artists, sixth place is not bad at all for such an entry... seeing it from the perspective of someone who was never into Occidentali's Karma and its gorilla.

hijirio

Veteran
If someone said here 1 month ago that Moldova would place higher than Italy, nobody would have believed. :D

ParadiseES

Every time a clear favourite fails in the last momento and doesn't even come close to win will be forever called "doing a Francesco Gabbani", just like when a fave flops in the semifinal is "doing a Kate Ryan".

Neo

As much as it pains me to say this, it might have been the Italian language this time that killed it.
I mean most of us agreed that it's a great cheerful and uplifting song which is qualitatively good and very catchy, but it got it's super status by it's message which tied in the staging perfectly.
But as much as we like to delve into the meaning of Eurovision songs, 99% of the voters do not have the time, interest or patience to do the same.
I'm sure that every broadcaster gave one line to the message of the song, but if I look at my family and friends during Eurovision, nobody is listening or nobody cares.
What they than see is an Italian man singing Italian gibberish with a dancing ape that comes out of nowhere and has no place on the stage.
Combine that with the problems mentioned earlier and you have barely top 10 result left.
You have a point there.

I would add that like for example France - Amir last year who did much better in polls compared to results, people assume that what will do well in ESC is a positive, happy-go-lucky song, when these days it seems it's the more serious, honest and sincere that people gravitate to.

There's also the rasping singing voice that might be an acquired taste for some, at least it's like that for me and several others I know.

ES2011

You have a point there.

I would add that like for example France - Amir last year who did much better in polls compared to results, people assume that what will do well in ESC is a positive, happy-go-lucky song, when these days it seems it's the more serious, honest and sincere that people gravitate to.

I think it's a contra-movement against what Sobral so eloquently called: "disposable fast-food music without content or feeling".I actually like his message more than Conchita's :lol:
If I turn on my radio, I only hear an EDM song with a remix of some sort with some random female guest singer.
I never hated EDM or "boom boom" music as long as it was dosed. But now there is nothing else.
For me it's becoming more and more difficult to find music I actually enjoy and makes me feel something.
But an uptempo or uplifting song can also make you feel something, which Occidentali's Karma did for me. However, it did not translate to the stage however.

There's also the rasping singing voice that might be an acquired taste for some, at least it's like that for me and several others I know.
I think it was more that he just did not song well. Just look at his Samremo and Eurovision final performance and see how much better he was at Sanremo.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned

ESCKerli

Hahah same here... what makes me super pissed is not the fact that Italy came 6th, but that Robin did better than Francesco. I will not get over that fact anytime soon. What the eff, juries?!

If I've understood things right, I don't think Francesco's final jury performance went well. He was nervous, sweating and his vocals were quiet off. Wiwibloggs mentioned that the Italian delegation also looked rather desperate, perhaps because of Portugal beating Italy in the odds the night before the Grand Final. They didn't even see him in their top 5 anymore. No matter how much I hate our entry, Robin's vocals in his final jury performance did sound pretty spot on in comparison to the way they sounded in the first semi-final. Similar to how Demy's semi-final performance for the jury made them rank her lower.

Top Bottom