13 8.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MopManMoss

Veteran
Too soon, I usually try to switch off on being a massive eurovision freak in the summer this is unfair on me

Loindici

Veteran
Israel really went LOCO with this one. Like, it's July 2022, we haven't secured a host city yet!

Mainshow

Veteran
no „oh that‘s a Chanel-copycat“-posts here yet? no? anyone?
well it won‘t last long I guess…:mrgreen:
Unfortunately, I can totally see such comments coming in at some point.
Although Chanel delivered a stunningly mesmerising and well-executed choreography/performance on stage, Noa is a real singer, a well-established act with an own personality/character.
Chanel still needs to prove herself but yeah, some Eurovision fans just knowing Eurovision entries will probably compare everyone to Chanel (Maneskin, Duncan or "Fuego" part 1283217382176382163521737216533721362173) :D

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
This early determination can prove to be either overwhelmingly successful or fatally wrong - no in-between. Of course I'm cheering on the former.
I wish other countries had this kind of attitude after one (1) non-qualification.

Mainshow

Veteran
Eurodrama 2023 1.0:

Noa Kirel´s participation is "still a maybe".

She just distanced herself from the announcement during a radio interview. Apparently, she got chosen/invited but she can still turn the offer down. She said that she will take some time off to let it all sink and "slowly make a decision with her team".

If she turns the offer down, Mergui will be asked.

Next in line: Mergui​

Anyone who followed Israel’s Eurovision 2018 selection, or knows current Israeli pop music, will recognise this name. Mergui, who placed second to Netta in Next Star for Eurovision, and also happens to be Noa Kirel’s ex-boyfriend, lost to Noa Kirel in the internal selection by only one point, according to a report by Eran Swissa.

source: Wiwibloggs

Seriously, I´m already slightly pissed - eurovision.tv already announced her as an entrant - this should have been 100% official before being posted on EBU´s website.

Mainshow

Veteran
Chen Aharoni, who wrote Israel’s 2021 entry and participated in the Israeli selection a couple of times, made the following prediction in the comments: “Both Noa and Mergui will turn down the offer, and so will the third-placer”.

WTF that level of drama

A-lister

Veteran
Oh gosh... if this is true then again the Israeli broadcaster / delegation seems to mess up things... maybe it's smart to have an actual confirmation and contract in place before going public? xshrug

Anyhow, not a huge fan of Noa's English language international attempts tbh, I prefer her more local-driven / ethnic-influenced stuff tbh... but something like SLT could work though with the Mizrahit/MidEast influences, I'd be here for a female Golden Boy type of affair...

Mainshow

Veteran
Yeah, I can´t believe how unprofessional and messy this has become within a few hours.

The Israeli delegation should have known better. Noa Kirel is a singer of high calibre - they won´t be getting an artist who will be even more "desired"/"adored" by Eurovision fans.... if she turns it down, they will be disappointed (despite the runner-ups being great as well (perhaps)). If you ask me, they can only lose if she turns it down now.

And I agree with you... I prefer her songs in Hebrew but "Please Don´t Suck" would have been quite a success at Eurovision (in my opinion).

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah, I can´t believe how unprofessional and messy this has become within a few hours.

The Israeli delegation should have known better. Noa Kirel is a singer of high calibre - they won´t be getting an artist who will be even more "desired"/"adored" by Eurovision fans.... if she turns it down, they will be disappointed (despite the runner-ups being great as well (perhaps)). If you ask me, they can only lose if she turns it down now.

Well, I am not so afraid about that though, we're still early on and the average Eurovision-viewer don't know nor care about what happened behind the scenes prior the contest, so all annual "dramas" are just exaggerated within the Eurovision-fans community and there's a tendency within the community overplay the actual effects it all have on the show in the end... but sure some fans would be disappointed that's clear. Mergui is a hottie though :devilish:

And I agree with you... I prefer her songs in Hebrew but "Please Don´t Suck" would have been quite a success at Eurovision (in my opinion).

Not a fan of that song tbh, but of course taste differs, unfortunately most of her "international" attempts seem like reworked demos that were leftovers from some random British Pop singers/acts like Dua Lipa, Mabel or Little Mix, pretty uninteresting material tbh.

Mainshow

Veteran
^^ If we speak of international viewers, this will clearly not have any impact - just like the "broken and dead kinetic sun" and that issue was at least "visible".

This will be completely different in Israel since Noa Kirel is a huge star - probably bigger than Xavier Naidoo in Germany at the time he got announced as our entrant. She´s already been making headlines, got interviewed, etc.
Her turning that offer down may have an impact on future submissions, the overall repuation of the contest in Israel and the fans will be furious about it, for sure - Noa has been on top of their wishlist for a while now (same applies to hardcore Eurovision from abroad).

A-lister

Veteran
^^ If we speak of international viewers, this will clearly not have any impact - just like the "broken and dead kinetic sun" and that issue was at least "visible".

This will be completely different in Israel since Noa Kirel is a huge star - probably bigger than Xavier Naidoo in Germany at the time he got announced as our entrant. She´s already been making headlines, got interviewed, etc.
Her turning that offer down may have an impact on future submissions, the overall repuation of the contest in Israel and the fans will be furious about it, for sure - Noa has been on top of their wishlist for a while now (same applies to hardcore Eurovision from abroad).

Aha yeah domestically it might have a negative impact true, if that's what you referred to...

Mainshow

Veteran
Yeah - Eurovision is still quite a big thing there and I know that Israeli Eurovision fans can be very "vocal" and "passionate".

Seriously, anyway, the Israeli broadcaster should have been 100% sure about this (and documents/papers signed as you´ve mentioned) BEFORE announcing such a huge and well-established act.

rasmuslights

Veteran
idk, I may be wrong but I just think Israel likes the drama.

are kan really that incompetent that they would announce sth. before it's set in stone? I don't think so.

Mainshow

Veteran
idk, I may be wrong but I just think Israel likes the drama.

are kan really that incompetent that they would announce sth. before it's set in stone? I don't think so.

That´s what the artist herself said and it is backed up by the songwriter of Israel 2021.

Top Bottom