Set me free
Set me free
Harmony
Don’t let me down
Just set me free​

Last edited by a moderator:

crashworld

Veteran
Set me free is basically... nothing. It’s probably the most middle of the road standard US pop song I‘ve ever listened to in Eurovision. Early Britney and Christina vibes, hello 2000s. It would have had a small chance in ESC 2013-15 maybe but this year it feels really out of place within the variety of songs we already have.

You can apply this to Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Norway. Same mainstream basic songs but they got the love instead of Israel.

Mainshow

Veteran
To be fair, Britney had been a trendsetter back in the early 00's. She was one of the most influential and impactful artist who shaped the music scene on a global scale. That sound of hers wasn't "basic" - She (and Nsync, Backstreet Boys) brought something new to the table, shaped a sound of a whole generation. In retrospect, one might say these songs were basic pop songs because we had so many the following months/years but they really (re-)defined the bubblegum pop sound which was so popular back in the day.

Israel 2021, though, doesn't reflect any current trends and doesn't push any boundaries. It's just "there". Actually, I think it's misleading to call it a "mainstream pop song" because it's totally out of place, somehow dated, etc.

However, I still do like the pre-chorus.

MooseShoes

You can apply this to Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Norway. Same mainstream basic songs but they got the love instead of Israel.
I didn't listen to any of the demos, 'cause I couldn't really see the point if Eden wasn't even singing on them, so I had seen a lot of feedback before I heard "Set me free" and was expecting it to be a lot worse. Having said that, I'm not too excited by it and can only give it a :6:.

That being said, I do think there's also a lot of comparing with last year that goes on in the ESC Bubble. In my opinion, Germany was a bit overrated last year but everyone was into it because it was so different to what Germany usually sends. This year I get the impression that it's happening a little bit with Croatia too. If you then factor in all the returning artists, it just exaggerates the effect.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Franzilein

To be fair, Britney had been a trendsetter back in the early 00's. She was one of the most influential and impactful artist who shaped the music scene on a global scale. That sound of hers wasn't "basic" - She (and Nsync, Backstreet Boys) brought something new to the table, shaped a sound of a whole generation.

In short Max Martin, but close enough

Loindici

Veteran

crashworld

Veteran

Guys, we might finally get a revamp and KAN might change the title to "Set Me Free, Hallelujah!"

EDIT: So you need to put on the link to make it appear!? Learning new things every day... [/SIZE]

I knew it! The Israeli delegation has always been very receptive of criticism and willing to make changes and improvements. I really hope the new revamp version will elevate the song even more like what they did with "Made of Stars" instead of the revamp drama Czech Republic went through last year.

*fingers crossed*

hijirio

Veteran
This better be the revamped version:

hijirio

Veteran
I swear I'm trying so hard to stan this song. Eden is such a lovely girl and I loved her song last year. Maybe they hurried a bit too much with the selection process this year? They could have waited a bit more to receive more songs. All songs sounded unfinished, she doesn't deserve that.

I really hope there will be a Ukraine kind of revamp-miracle and I will be able to enjoy Set Me Free.

Mimmon

Veteran

Guys, we might finally get a revamp and KAN might change the title to "Set Me Free, Hallelujah!"

EDIT: So you need to put on the link to make it appear!? Learning new things every day...http://on the link to make it appear!? Learning new things every day... [/SIZE][/SIZE]
I knew this before Like 2 weeks
I needed to keep it secret but it got ruined the suprise I guess

Iker

Veteran
I like the current production, it is groovy and chic. The problem is the melody for me, which is decent but not amazing (for me) as in the case of 'Feker libi'.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
So they're going to be revamping the revamp of Set Me Free spurred on by the negative feedback received for the entry. Now call me skeptical but what exactly can be done here? They'd have to gut the thing, but even then there's big problems with the melody. The "set me free" hook comes across to me as lame and more than mildly annoying. It's such a shame as Eden was in my top 10 last year. I hope I'm proved wrong here and some miracle happens.

crashworld

Veteran
So they're going to be revamping the revamp of Set Me Free spurred on by the negative feedback received for the entry. Now call me skeptical but what exactly can be done here? They'd have to gut the thing, but even then there's big problems with the melody. The "set me free" hook comes across to me as lame and more than mildly annoying. It's such a shame as Eden was in my top 10 last year. I hope I'm proved wrong here and some miracle happens.

Set Me Free didn't undergo any revamp. We only got the demo version sung by the session singer and the version with Eden on it (which is the current form). Demo versions are always going to be different and they are called demo for a reason.

It's interesting you think the pre-chorus is the issue here where most of the reactors I've seen have issues with the chorus and they love or enjoy the pre-chorus more.

I'm thinking likely they may change the chorus to make it more impactful, cut down the second chorus and lengthen the bridge. They could also likely change some lyrics to incorporate more Hebrew/Amharic. They already have a good melody so I'm hoping they will not change that too drastically.

If not they can always go the Jennifer Lopez route ala "Ain't It Funny", where the original version and the remix version are totally 2 different songs. Lol.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
hero.jpg

This promo picture is posted on Eden's profile in the Eurovision website. I think we're going to have a new music video with this setting since I searched "shai franco eden alene" or "שי פרנקו עדן לבד" and didn't get any results similar to this one. She looks breathtaking nonetheless.

crashworld

Veteran
hero.jpg

This promo picture is posted on Eden's profile in the Eurovision website. I think we're going to have a new music video with this setting since I searched "shai franco eden alene" or "שי פרנקו עדן לבד" and didn't get any results similar to this one. She looks breathtaking nonetheless.

Wow! The stylistic choice looks abit like Senhit isn't it?

I really hope the revamp is really good. Because things are really quiet over that the Israel side. It'll be great if we get another video with the new version of the song.

I wonder if it would help if Eden has done a "live" performance of the song because we all know she's such a great and charismatic performer. At least it would have perhaps helped to change the opinions of the ESC fandom on the song.

Loindici

Veteran
Wow! The stylistic choice looks abit like Senhit isn't it?

I really hope the revamp is really good. Because things are really quiet over that the Israel side. It'll be great if we get another video with the new version of the song.

I wonder if it would help if Eden has done a "live" performance of the song because we all know she's such a great and charismatic performer. At least it would have perhaps helped to change the opinions of the ESC fandom on the song.

Although it is unknown whether if the new video is up the old video is gonna be taken down. I mean, the old one is okay-ish so I hope they can get a little bit extravagant on a new music video.

Which leads me to the point, I don't think they'll ever do a live, but who knows? Maybe after the new version is up there will be a live performance of it.

Top Bottom