Set me free
Set me free
Set me free
Harmony
Don’t let me down
Just set me free​

Last edited by a moderator:

Carian

I would like to express my support for Eden and her bumpy journey in Eurovision.

She won "The X Factor: Israel" and "Rising Star" to earn her place as the Israeli representative in Eurovision. Recorded 4 fantastic songs in 2020 and performed all 4 with her best effort in the National Selection. Got the winning song that is well-received by the fandom, but only to know the news of the cancellation of the contest "live" on National TV. And then got re-selected as the entrant for 2021 again "live" on National TV.

Recorded 3 music videos and songs for her 2021 selection. Won with the song that is least receptive by the fandom. Involved in the revamp and did a brand new video, only to get lukewarm response. People discrediting her because of what's happening back in Israel, most of the people doubting her ability to even qualify and even "accusing" her of robbing the favourites. But only to emerge as the top 5 in her semi-final (no. 4 in jury and no. 5 in televotes).

Even though she ended up at no. 17 in the grand final, but I am still proud of Eden for her tenacity and continued to show her A-game despite the unfavourable circumstance.

Eden, thanks for being a true star and be the positive beam of light in the contest for the past 2 years. I will look forward to your future works.
Nicely put, but I would like to add two things: 1. I wish the same comprehension and compassion would be shown for other artists who come from countries like Russia. While people demand(ed) understanding for her and not to mix Israeli politics with her as an artist, I did not feel that people would treat the same or demanded the same for Polina Gagarina or the poor Russian twins in 2015 or even Sergey, who is gay and Polina is his his bestie. People still attacked them for political reasons and showed little mercy towards them. So, from this point of view, I do feel a bit bitter and resent Europe the double standards. 2. Now, as for Eden, her story is really incredible and I would like to add to this whole matter one more thing: she is a representative of the Ethiopian Jewish diaspora, who are treated many times as a "second-class" citizen by their own state and Jews of other descent(s). So, I am not totally surprised that the poor girl had to work so hard for this success, but I am glad that she did manage, cuz this gives pride to the whole Ethiopian Jewish community in Israel and I am sure it improves their position and visibility in the whole Israeli society.
That's it, guys. I think I spelled out most of my observations this year. I am done for this year. It was fun, I guess. See you next year ;)

crashworld

Veteran
I went to compare the juries vote between SF1 and Grand Final and there are some interesting observations:
  1. North Macedonia, Russia, Norway, Malta and Germany are consistent with how they ranked Israel.
  2. Israel improved in Grand Final with the following countries - Slovenia, Romania, Ukraine (see note 6) and Croatia (see note 7).
  3. Israel did worse in Grand Final with the following countries - Lithuania, Sweden, Australia, Ireland, Cyprus, Belgium, Azerbaijan, Italy and The Netherlands.
  4. North Macedonia ranked Israel as the best SF1 country in both semi and grand final.
  5. Russia ranked Israel as the 2nd best SF1 country in both SF1 and GF but in SF1 Malta outranked Israel, whereas in GF Azerbaijan outranked Israel.
  6. Ukraine ranked Israel as the best SF1 country in grand final but in SF1 only 1 SF1 grand final qualifier (Belgium) outranked Israel.
  7. Croatia ranked Israel as the best SF1 country in grand final but their top 3 in SF1 (who are grand final qualifiers) ranked lower than Israel in grand final.
  8. Israel faced the biggest difference with Australia.
  9. Malta ranked Israel the worst country in semi and 2nd worst country in grand final.
First-Half of SF1
jTPv7vL.jpg

Second-Half of SF1
weORvPF.jpg

Auto-Qualifiers Voting in SF1
YdSU193.jpg

crashworld

Veteran
I wonder whoever did this, did it on purpose considering Dua Lipa's vile comments xshrug

Oh, I didn't know Dua Lipa is part of the woke community. Anyway, I don't care about how she feels about the situation.
But this is like the 3rd "Levitating" x "Set Me Free" mash-up since the revamp was released, I doubt it's done in purpose.

A-lister

Veteran
Oh, I didn't know Dua Lipa is part of the woke community. Anyway, I don't care about how she feels about the situation.
But this is like the 3rd "Levitating" x "Set Me Free" mash-up since the revamp was released, I doubt it's done in purpose.

Nah, she's not just trying to be "woke", she's an outspoken antisemite who uses her status to basically spread modern versions of blood libel.

Anyways, so it's just a bit "interesting" to see these two connected together.

Last edited:

iowacorn

Nah, she's not just trying to be "woke", she's an outspoken antisemite who uses her status to basically spread modern versions of blood libel.

Anyways, so it's just a bit "interesting" to see these two connected together.
NOTHING Dua Lipa has publicly said is antisemitic.

- An actual real live Jew

I like the mashup. The songs have their similarities, but I think that can be attributed to the genre.

Also question, in her performance in the finals, Eden's final whistle... it sounded like it was harmonized with another whistle. Could there possibly have been some pre-recorded something or other backing Eden's live whistle up or was it just how it came out of her throat?

MopManMoss

Veteran
Dua Lipa is clueless she literally promoted a ultra nationalist far right albanian ideology last year without really understanding what she was talking about, does Dua Lipa seriously think bits of Greece, North Macedonia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro are actually Albania? No shes a middle class londoner that doesnt understand half the things she advocates

crashworld

Veteran
Also question, in her performance in the finals, Eden's final whistle... it sounded like it was harmonized with another whistle. Could there possibly have been some pre-recorded something or other backing Eden's live whistle up or was it just how it came out of her throat?

I notice that. It's abit strange that they decided to do something pre-recorded on the grand final performance. Because for all her rehearsals and semi-final performance, she did them all 'live'.

Another "Levitating" x "Set Me Free" mash-up, this is very well-done.

Last edited:
  • Like It
Reactions: Mrm

A-lister

Veteran
NOTHING Dua Lipa has publicly said is antisemitic.

- An actual real live Jew

Oh yes she DID, but I won't dig into it since it's off-topic

People without self-preservation are peculiar to me, but each to their own.

A-lister

Veteran
Dua Lipa is clueless she literally promoted a ultra nationalist far right albanian ideology last year without really understanding what she was talking about, does Dua Lipa seriously think bits of Greece, North Macedonia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro are actually Albania? No shes a middle class londoner that doesnt understand half the things she advocates

I'm not sure she's so clueless tbh, I think she's simply a radical.

iowacorn

Oh yes she DID, but I won't dig into it since it's off-topic

People without self-preservation are peculiar to me, but each to their own.
Anti-semitism ≠ Anti-zionism

What she did say was anti-zionist, I'll give you that.
Please don't conflate the two. It's dangerous.

A-lister

Veteran
Anti-semitism ≠ Anti-zionism

What she did say was anti-zionist, I'll give you that.
Please don't conflate the two. It's dangerous.

When you conflate words like "genocide" and "holocaust" with Israel, that's when it becomes dangerous.

I don't want to diverge much further into politics, but I will always call a spade for a spade and yes she's just a tired anti-semite with no knowledge of context, history or facts using her platform to spew modern blood libel and it's sad to see considering she has alot of young fans following her who know absolutely nothing about the situation but could believe in this.

Jopi

The performance for me was still to basic, didn't like her outfit at all. And I still don't like the song. I'm really surprised by the result in the semi!!!

StephenMuckle

I heard recently that Eden has apparently stepped away from music. According to a recent post on Facebook, she recently started working as a waitress in a restaurant. She's also made her Instagram account private. Just shows how brutal the music business can be. They promise you more success than you can ever dream of, then they set you up to fail and pull the rug from underneath you. Hell they sometimes pull the plug on artists when they are at their best. Just look at the K-pop industry and the numerous horror stories on how brutal its treatment of its artists are.

Mainshow

Veteran
That would be mean - Eden has so much potential. She has been one of the brightest, most charismatic Eurovision artists for years - she clearly has the means to become a bigger act in Israel. What a waste of talent :(

Yoni

Yeah it's a shame, she declined some lucrative deals too because she was sick of the industry and decided to do her own thing, it doesn't mean she completely quit music but definitely from the business. She never had a musical identity and in interviews constantly said she's still looking for it. I hope she comes back focused and ready someday, she's one of my favorite entrants ever and such a bundle of joy.

StephenMuckle

Yeah it's a shame, she declined some lucrative deals too because she was sick of the industry and decided to do her own thing, it doesn't mean she completely quit music but definitely from the business. She never had a musical identity and in interviews constantly said she's still looking for it. I hope she comes back focused and ready someday, she's one of my favorite entrants ever and such a bundle of joy.

You just need to look at the K-pop industry to see how brutal it can be. K-pop artists are slapped with extremely draconian contracts by their labels. It's quite similar in Japan too. Many years ago a member of the mega group AKB48 dated someone and her bosses forced her to shave her head and issue an on camera apology.

Top Bottom