17 9.7%

24 13.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryUK

I know he's upset but I thought that was rude. Does he mean the televoters don't give Ireland a chance? Maybe he should take a look at his poor song and vocals and think again.
I wonder would he be brave enough to say that in front of the qualifiers who got through?
Not to mention that fecking camel toe

midnightsun

Veteran
The "fun" thing is: the song wasn’t actually too bad. It was very well produced, they were lucky because other countries didn’t have that luck tonight: their sound quality was terrible while Ireland sounded wild and anthemic but the singer was too lethargic and somehow out of his world, his mind far away, unable to sing and what the hell with the suit? Ireland had actually good chance and a part of it was (unintentionally) ruined by themselves.
My sister didn’t know any of the songs before and despite their performance, Ireland was her #3 tonight! So it had some appeal to the casual viewer.

HarryUK

It's giving British press, public and entrants pre- Sam Ryder. Wild Youth should have gone with something that was truly representative of them. Instead they wrote a basic cookie cutter middle of the road U2 album filler song that offends no one, but also impresses no one. It's the exact type of song that exists for Eurovision yet completely misses the mark. If they stuck to their style and went with a song that wasn't written with every Eurovision misconception in mind then they would have stood a fair shot and probably had a decent chance.
It’s giving me GB news when they ‘found out’ that Mae Muller doesn’t think Brexit was a good idea

Chrisiam

Ireland had actually good chance and a part of it was (unintentionally) ruined by themselves.
My sister didn’t know any of the songs before and despite their performance, Ireland was her #3 tonight! So it had some appeal to the casual viewer.
Like I said earlier, I saw a lot of positive chatter online during the contest for Ireland and the video of the live show last time I checked was around 11th. So there is a chance (slim as it is) that it might have been closer than some expect. And if it failed to get in due to anything it was due to having a bad performance on the night.

You simply cannot have a stadium rock-pop anthem where the lead doesn't sing the chorus and does nothing to gear the audience up and get them on board. Even James Newman did a better job in playing to the audience and getting them to join in and that isn't even his style of performing!

Datura

I think this song is / was underrated but they really blew the little chance they had with their Performance. The singer was obviously very nervous at the beginning (Bless him) but he did not connect at all. And the prerecorded chorus was so obvious and off-putting (he could have at least tried to lip sync to make it a bit less obvious). Did not seem very energetic

MARTYM8

If there is one consolation it is that the video of their live performance is the 11th most viewed of the night. So maybe it was closer than people are giving it credit, or people are just so baffled by the lead's costume, who knows!?

I think it might be the costume. And also people probably view their own country's entry and some of the other NQs like Latvia and Malta have small populations.

Ireland struggles with televoting anyway - it doesn't get free votes so has to earn them whereas some countries will get votes whatever because of disapora. Not sure if a jury would have helped this year though.

I expect sadly Ireland probably came second last to Azerbaijan or last - given on many people's lists Malta, Latvia and the Netherlands were potential qualifiers.

JenJen94

The instagram post, whilst I get he was upset, I don't agree with him doing or saying that. Whilst I thought they did ok, and the song was alright, the performance was average. I feel like they came dead last imo

RTE really need to do a BBC 2022 and start from scratch, big overhaul. Something clearly isn't working here at all.

midnightsun

Veteran

Wow. This is so good! I would have loved this. But then again, it’s my music. And I don’t want to start with "Look, if they sent this or that as we fans wanted it would have done better". We don’t know that and it’s easy to say afterwards.

BUT - and this goes for A LOT of countries: why is everyone always so eager to win or do well in the competition? I really would have preferred this, not because I like the music anyway, but because this is something I consider typically Irish. Why don’t countries send something traditionally that is recognizably them? Not everyone has to send a contemporary song to remain in the race. You can’t be all winners - just send something that truly represents your country!

Lindon

Assessment ORF.at

Not an evening for golden Elvis

Singer Conor O'Donohoe of the Irish band Wild Youth didn't seem quite comfortable in his golden full-body Elvis onesie, and rightly so. The song "We Are On", intended as a solidarity anthem, stuttered on stage, also because vocally there was a lot missing in many corners.

Top Bottom