Contact us

Intrusive adverts on Android/iPhone/Desktop

theditz83

Veteran
For the past week, when browsing the forum on my Android smartphone browser, the forum has had overly intrusive adverts that freeze to the top of the browser window as you scroll down, and most annoyingly will open in a pop-up whenever you click a link to another part of the forum (tends to be the first link to click during a single browsing session, but then randomly every 4-5 further clicks).

This is really ugly and isn't what I've been used to in the multiple years that I've been using Android to browse the site so what's changed over the past months? No other website has these intrusive ads, so I can only assume it has been a change at the website's end rather than my phone.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Omg I'm not the only one then. I put an addblocker, it was fine for 2 days but now they're back.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I'm having the same problem as well, it's so annoying...

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Yep, same. I habe adblocker on my laptop so all is fine there but on my mobile it's really quite intrusive as you say.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Happening to me too, on my android smartphone and also on my desktop computer, the full screen ads pop up and have to be clicked away before the forum can be viewed again. This is quite intrusive and annoying and hopefully only a temporary situation.

There are besides many errors (Service Unavailable / error 520 stopping log in etc) and unusual slowness in the forum lately, hopefully measures can be taken so the forum runs more smoothly again soon.

Schlagerman1

I also found this adds that pop up and it is really frustrating. Sure, I can go get an adblocker, but I don't understand the need to get one, since it actually never needed in the first place. There are loads of adds anyway on the site, so why get a new popup....

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
The ads at the bottom just seem to promotions for forum pages, but the others are for real ads.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
@Matt Similar thing as in the post above by anaraqueen, I was just now going -from the main Forum page having logged in- straight to Conversations to look at PMs. When I pressed Conversation at the top, this full screen ad popped up on my laptop computer (notice the google_vignette at the end of the web-address as others have also had) hiding the whole screen, and had to be clicked away to be able to see the forum again. This has as mentioned happened several times past days.

qq4Iz3X.jpg

grazy2266

This needs to be addressed the reputation of ESCUnited is at stake. To have dealings with such a intrusive add company often prompting smartphone users to install software or activate notifications is not a positive step forward and will result in loss of trust and damage the reputation of this site.

Schlagerman1

I hope that we can get an answer about why the ads still seem to show up. They are even blocking threads so they are unclickable.
Sure I COULD get an adblock, but a forum like this shouldn't have this kind of problems. I hope that it is something that can be fixed, since it is pretty frustrating.... @Matt

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I hope that we can get an answer about why the ads still seem to show up. They are even blocking threads so they are unclickable.
Sure I COULD get an adblock, but a forum like this shouldn't have this kind of problems. I hope that it is something that can be fixed, since it is pretty frustrating.... @Matt

afaik from the grape vine (i.e don't take as gospel, but if they truly wanted it fixed it would have done so by now) it was looked at, but it was decided that they're here to stay. xshrugAdmin peeps if I'm wrong, I'm sorry don't murder me - but pls fix it. I have an adblocker so forgot all about this, but when it didn't load on a few weeks back I was swampped with the ads. I understand a need for ads I guess, but how intrusive they are at times it just makes the forum look very unwelcoming and potentially quite annoying to new people. Like one of the game ad apps that make you watch 9597959 ads between levels. It just needs toning right down.

Top Bottom